14 and newly diagnosed T1

becca8201

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed a month ago two days before my birthday and ive been doing fine with my checking and my insulin but I don't seem myself, i feel really down and feel like I have no one to talk to who knows how I feel.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum :) There are other teenagers on the forum who you might want to talk too, instead of us oldies ;) Anything you would like to know, please just ask.

Take care RRB

Reactions: 4 people

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey. I was diagnosed at the age of 12. U understand how you feel. If you want a chat I'm here :) xx

Reactions: 2 people

chl0ejasmine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @becca8201! I was diagnosed at 14 too, a week before my birthday, how weird! I'm almost 18 now but I am consistently having a hard time to deal with diabetes and don't know many other people with it, perhaps one. I'd love to get chatting! x

jillspittles

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed a month ago two days before my birthday and ive been doing fine with my checking and my insulin but I don't seem myself, i feel really down and feel like I have no one to talk to who knows how I feel.
Hi Becca
My son is 14 and was diagnosed 4 years ago. He has also been fine with everything.then 2 1/2 years ago he started feeling low and upset.
It's taken me all this time to get him proper help he now has clinical depression and is on medication for it.
Please please don't leave it. Speak to your parents and tell your diabetes team or G.P.
I've only just found out how common this is in young people unfortunately there doesn't seem to be the help. I've always said that the team worry about how the blood is not the person.
I hope you get this sorted ASAP. Don't let it get out of control. Good luck xx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
To be honest I cried myself to sleep every night for 6 weeks, thinking 'why' and why not my brothers!!! This was 30 years ago without the internet. It was a very lonely place to be in. Especially as there was that much information available to patients in those days.

Glad you are here, and found this forum. There is support from folk that have felt all aspects of feeling different, .......parents, siblings, friends trying their best but really getting on your nerves!!!!

It's hard but you aren't alone.

Non diabetics don't really understand that we look calm on the outside but from the moment we get up no even during the night we have unseen 'thoughts' of should I eat that, how much do I bolus, what's my levels' etc....they do not understand this is in the back of our thoughts night and day..... Sure we can look as if we haven't got a thought in the world.... But we have to think a lot more than non diabetics.

We understand this....

Last edited by a moderator:

ConsultingTimeLordElf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Becca, I too am 14 years old with type 1 diabetes. I know exactly what you're going through so if you'd ever like to talk feel free to drop me a mesaage, I'd be more than happy to talk to someone the same age and going through the same thing.

Kaitlynn_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm kinda late to this convo...
I'm 13 and I've had T1 for 3 years so if you need anything or just want to talk feel free to message me :)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
You've landed in a great place for information knowledge experience and support.
I'm a T2 and a wrinkly but theres loads of youngsters here who will be more than willing to answer as many questions as you want to ask ....us oldies will too of course.
Bookmark this place so you never lose us.

BriChanoya

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I don't like judgemental people, chocolate losing my stuffs.
Hi.. I'm supposed to do a blood test, to see if I have Diabetes and I'm pretty scared.. Any advice? What if I do, will it be the end of my life?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If a diagnosis of diabetes was end of your life we wouldn't be answering you!!
Its life changing but it is liveable...

BriChanoya

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I don't like judgemental people, chocolate losing my stuffs.
Thank for that.. I'm still scared though... What do you guys do? How do you get along?