Reversal of diabetes

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't mean to pry, Beardie, but can you provide a link to your story? Everyone who chooses to post on this forum are sort of all in it together. It's good to provide support, inspiration, even warnings to each other. Please don't dangle the carrot then withdraw it!:D

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Eating massive a massive amount of carbs/sugar at one sitting will cause a blood glucose spike even someone without diabetes, especially if they are on a low carb diet. What's more indicative of diabetes is what happens after it goes up. Does it stay up for hours? That's bad and shows the diabetes has not been reversed. Does it fairly rapidly go down after it peaks? That's a good indication the diabetes has been reversed. No meds, normal A1c, normal fasting blood glucose - that's a good indication that it's been reversed. It would also be helpful to have normal insulin levels, but the government isn't going to pay for that testing.

Here's what happened recently when, as a little scientific experiment, I ate porridge (steel cut oats), a banana, a slice of whole meal toasted bread with margarine (shudder), and a glass of 1% fat milk - an example of a low fat "healthy" breakfast recommended during my diabetes course (carbs: 78g, fat 12g, protein 23g). This is more carbs at one sitting than I generally eat over 3 days.
View attachment 10927

Interesting graph, isn't it? I woke up at 6 am on this day - you can see my blood glucose rise moderately after that as I prepared my horrific breakfast. Then the massive rise in blood glucose after eating breakfast, followed by a fairly rapid drop to normal levels. My normal breakfast of eggs, bacon, and coffee is about 47 g fat, <2 g carbs, and 28 g protein. It does not do a lot to my blood glucose levels - actually about the same as if I only had a coffee.

Am I cured? Have I reversed my diabetes? I believe so.

If I went back on the low fat high carb diet that caused my diabetes in the first place would I get diabetes again? Most assuredly!! Does this mean my diabetes has not been reversed or cured? Of course not!!

I've also reversed or cured my obesity with a LCHF diet. If I ate the supposedly "healthy" way I used to, I'd get fat again, yet right now nobody would currently attempt to claim that my obesity has not been reversed. I think it's fairly simple logic.

Dear @NoCrbs, Where did that very nice graph come from?

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So do I, but it doesn't generate graphs like that. Or did you do that from the spreadsheet?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Yes, I exported the data as a text file, then opened it with Excel.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Here's a nice comparison of a day of LCHF and "healthy" plate eating:

low fat versus low carb.jpg

Reactions: 8 people

Syd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
"Beardie" is Private Eye's not too complimentary nickname for Sir Richard Branson. It's not him is it?

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just an update from someone currently doing the Newcastle diet, if anyone is interested

I'm now on day 6 and absolutely loving it ! 3 water mixed 'shakes' (varying between chocolate & strawberry using USN Whey Protein & USN Diet Protein) rated at 206 kcals per shake

200 grams of 'above ground green veg' for my 'main meal tea'. Plenty of energy , little or no hunger pangs (I'm 6'4" so not small by any means), lots of walks and more energy than I've ever had. Regular daily bowel movements and great sleep

When I finish I'm looking towards LCHF, though perhaps moderate fat and I'm getting a Nutri Ninja to have regular green smoothies

Cut out sweeteners completely and lots of fresh bottled water - even my shakes are made with it

Approached with the right 'mindset' its certainly not a chore and is truely enjoyable

Reactions: 7 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just an update from someone currently doing the Newcastle diet, if anyone is interested

I'm now on day 6 and absolutely loving it ! 3 water mixed 'shakes' (varying between chocolate & strawberry using USN Whey Protein & USN Diet Protein) rated at 206 kcals per shake

200 grams of 'above ground green veg' for my 'main meal tea'. Plenty of energy , little or no hunger pangs (I'm 6'4" so not small by any means), lots of walks and more energy than I've ever had. Regular daily bowel movements and great sleep

When I finish I'm looking towards LCHF, though perhaps moderate fat and I'm getting a Nutri Ninja to have regular green smoothies

Cut out sweeteners completely and lots of fresh bottled water - even my shakes are made with it

Approached with the right 'mindset' its certainly not a chore and is truely enjoyable

I am interested! Brilliant! I thought it was just me who actually enjoyed the shakes.

I hope you continue to do well.

Reactions: 4 people
G

graj0

That is very interesting and keep up the good work, well done. I'm going to investigate further because I'm presently down to a shake for breakfast (not commercially available, it's got all sorts in it), steamed veg for lunch and protein and veg for dinner. Down to less than 1,000 cals but losing nothing. My thinking is that pain relief isn't helping matters and while I'm doing the physio to get my quads working properly after a TKR, I need some pain relief. Perhaps I should ask for something different than cocodomol which is effective but causes water retention and bungs you up.