Jogging

timewind

I'm not sure I believe that. Surly when your sugars are high, it's more important to exercise to lower them?
This is how I was taught in 1978 when diagnosed.

I'm still jogging and on Friday May 10th- I achieved one of my goals. I ran just short off 5K from my home. I really enjoyed it and. Best of all. I didn't feel tired when I finished.

I only wish, we had some decent weather to run in :roll:

Phoebe,

I believe you've just been diagnosed with T1. I'm also a T1 DB and have had the condition now for, 35 yrs. And I haven't let it rule my life.

Mr Happy

I am not stating it as fact, I always felt the same way as you did. It could potentially make sense though and is certainly worth keeping your eye on or researching further.

It is an especially tricky one when doing prolonged exercise whereby taking on extra sugar is difficult. I started swimming at 9.2 last night and finished at 2.1

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
timewind said:
Surly when your sugars are high, it's more important to exercise to lower them?
This is how I was taught in 1978 when diagnosed.

You're right, exercise will bring it down but it can rise initially. The body attempts to provide energy for the exercise by releasing glucose and, whilst exercise normally in turn improves insulin sensitivity, an impaired insulin response will let it rise. The counter effects are delayed and there is a lag. The rise is short term so usually it doesn't matter. I can imagine, but don't know, that if it is too high to begin with, some caution must be exercised.

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
I was taught, and from literature I've read. You should never start exercising with a bs level of 15 or above, as you put yourself at greater risk of your bs levels increasing due to the adrenaline released during the exercise. As previously stated the adrenaline released can cause a quick rise in bs levels but will eventually come down if that level of exercise is sustained. However if your sugars are too high, the adrenaline will raise the sugars further and it will not come down to a nice level by the end of the exercise resulting in a nice day/evening of extra injections to bring yourself down.

Hope this helps, I tend to skip the gym if i'm 12 or above as I know my sugars won't come down other wise.

spideog

I've been told that around about 14 that you shouldn't exercise, the exact number doesn't really matter I guess, just when it's noticeably high. I believe that it is something to do with ketones in the blood and that you won't have enough insulin in your system to deal with the requirements during the exercise.
I would try to have my bg around 12 give or take a bit before going out for a run, and after various trial and error with settings on the pump and taking gels, I know that I can run for about an hour from that bg starting point.

If I'm running for more than an hour then I would be taking a gel every 40 minutes from the start and I can then quite happily make it round a marathon distance on that basis.

Good luck to those of you who have applied for London Marathon next year in getting a place, I've run it the last couple of years as well as a few others, and it is about the best one there is. I've got a place for next year already as I have a qualifying time so will be hoping to go a few minutes quicker aga next year so that I keep my place.

Trinity_32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish
I used to love running!! I stopped due to osteoarthritis and really miss it. I tried not to run if my bs was over 15 as I found it raised it, but would often have to test halfway through and eat a banana which was a pain but I discovered that I couldn't make it through a forty minute run without having a hypo. In 2006 I did the race for life which was a great experience and I hope to do it again next year when my hip replacement has settled in properly :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Artem_K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I was diagnosed t1 diabetes 3 month ago. I play soccer ones a week. During winter holidays I did not play. I noticed that my legs became dry. Yesterday I played 2 hours today I have seen that my feet became better. They are not dry and looks like before an illness. I thing jogging improves blood circulation that is the reason of improvement. Have jogging a lot and track your bs. Thank you!

Reactions: 2 people

Tranly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
diabetes, stress
Hi Guy's,

I've just been bitten by a strange affliction which has suddenly overwhelmed me. I have started Jogging :D

My first run was last week-end, Sunday 21st that was half a mile. Followed by another run on Wednesday 1 mile. This morning I managed a 4.2 K run and thoroughly enjoyed it. But my aim is a 6k or 10k run on a regular basis.

I have decided I want to get to grips with my life, and more importantly my Diabetes control and BS levels. These are very variable and no matter how hard I try. They are not stable. I want to see an end to high's and lows every day.

This is my motivation, the other one is to get fit. At the moment I am all fired up and really enjoying it.

I've brought some dedicated running shoes, and clothes. The next thing to get is a suitable high vis top, for weather protection. I carry an ID dog-tag with me, and carry Glucose Tabs.

Has anyone felt the benefit of Jogging?

We seem to be having a same experience! I am a new D, and there are no good quality medical services in the country where I live, and was feeling so exhausted with uncontrollable swings. But this forum has changed my whole attitude. I haven't tried jogging just walking 1H everyday but definitely think I'll try it after I read this thread. My BG turned out so much better now. Attitude is so important too, of course an ability to laugh. Keep it upl!

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hats off to anyone who does run - but i know its not for me

I read an excellent article years ago by a physician from NASA on fitness stating the results of a years-long experiment regarding runners, joggers & walkers and the fact that over any given distance, the physical benefits between the 3 were pretty much identical.

My preference is to walk / hike either on a day basis or multiple days carrying all my food / shelter / clothing / kit ( and now meds :)} in my rucksack ..... and i'm now building a lightweight walking trailer with a view to the long-distance paths both here (Pennine Way 200+ miles) and in Europe.

Once 'underway' and settled (on a walking path) I can comfortably maintain 4.7 - 4.8 km per hour whilst enjoying the scenery and now have a good understanding of my own pace counts whether flat or gradiated for rule-of-thumb navigation (distance measurement) for if my GPS ever packs in & I need to revert to maps & compass

I guess were all different but I am comfortable with my exercise / energy expenditure at walking whilst carrying my pack and enjoying the route / scenery.

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hola

Does anyone participate in their local Parkrun. Great friendly bunch and in loads of location. Me and the dog have just completed our second one in Folkestone as its a bit too cold for snorkling still.

Reactions: 4 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I read an excellent article years ago by a physician from NASA on fitness stating the results of a years-long experiment regarding runners, joggers & walkers and the fact that over any given distance, the physical benefits between the 3 were pretty much identical.

My preference is to walk / hike either on a day basis or multiple days carrying all my food / shelter / clothing / kit ( and now meds :)} in my rucksack ..... and i'm now building a lightweight walking trailer with a view to the long-distance paths both here (Pennine Way 200+ miles) and in Europe.

Once 'underway' and settled (on a walking path) I can comfortably maintain 4.7 - 4.8 km per hour whilst enjoying the scenery and now have a good understanding of my own pace counts whether flat or gradiated for rule-of-thumb navigation (distance measurement) for if my GPS ever packs in & I need to revert to maps & compass

I guess were all different but I am comfortable with my exercise / energy expenditure at walking whilst carrying my pack and enjoying the route / scenery.
A lightweight walking trailer! Isn't that the equivalent of caravanning for walkers walkavanning? (Patent pending)

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
I'm with you on the ID dog tag, i wear one every time i go running just in case i do a Jim Fixx. 5km 3 x per week and looking to expand on it soon. I find i sleep better and my a.m. bg levels are lower on the days i run than the days i dont, muscle mass has increased on my legs that ive just noticed but im doing some weights too. I eat a banana and apple for energy pre-run and always check bgz are not too low before i go, and a lc whey protein drink after a work out. jog on.

Last edited by a moderator:

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

A pull along trailer won't be suitable for Pennine Way - too rocky, narrow in places. Better to concentrate on reducing weight of what you need to carry by choosing lightweight kit, posting clean clothes, meds & testing kit [actually not that bulky, unless you insist on a new lancet for every test & new needle for every injection] to depots eg hostels, B&Bs, post offices etc. Harvey's 1:40,000 strip maps for trails weight considerably less than OS equivents even 1:50,000, with almost as much useful detail as 1;25,000, without things you don't need for navigation eg parish boundaries.

A trailer might be OK for bigger trails eg Santiago de Compostela, but I think overall, the freedom of just a backpack might be better - locked gates would be a real hassle with a trailer, for example.Thinking abour trails I've done in Tatras Mountains in Slovakia and Poland, Pyrenees in France and Spain, Hetta Pallas in Finnish Lapland, Jotuneheimen in Norway [nordc skiing] etc, I can't think of any where a trailer would have helped, especially as there are lots of mountain huts, refuges in such places, so you need sleeping bag, but can buy food, beer, wine etc at huts - in eastern Europe especially, these are good value, and fun, socialable etc.

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest, I just like playing in the shed & a pull along trailer occupied a weekend last year. Its not wide, certainly no wider than my shoulders and folds up for ease of travel & lifting. Its a mono wheel tadpole design 'drawn' by folding suspension arms from my rucksack waist belt. The idea is to trial it up on Dark Peak (Bleaklow) when I get around to it.

I already 'post ahead' with supplies, and similarly 'post back' with things like washing, etc..

I always carry 25k maps as I'm used to them, though to be fair I've never had to use any of them. I always carry spare batteries for my mapping Garmin GPS and regularly update the maps - for free - from TalkyToaster

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, I just like playing in the shed & a pull along trailer occupied a weekend last year. Its not wide, certainly no wider than my shoulders and folds up for ease of travel & lifting. Its a mono wheel tadpole design 'drawn' by folding suspension arms from my rucksack waist belt. The idea is to trial it up on Dark Peak (Bleaklow) when I get around to it.

I already 'post ahead' with supplies, and similarly 'post back' with things like washing, etc..

I always carry 25k maps as I'm used to them, though to be fair I've never had to use any of them. I always carry spare batteries for my mapping Garmin GPS and regularly update the maps - for free - from TalkyToaster
Hola moonchip

I'd have a word with those little voices if I was you.

Just out of interest are you a member of your local LDWA.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hola

Does anyone participate in their local Parkrun. Great friendly bunch and in loads of location. Me and the dog have just completed our second one in Folkestone as its a bit too cold for snorkling still.

Yes, I do parkruns - I've had 3 different home parkruns in past 5 years or so that I've been doing them. Until 18 months ago, I worked a minimum of one weekend in three, and due to an injury suffered by falling into cattle grid when putting out cycle sportive signs in the dark, because there was only the race organiser and me as solo volunteer, I could barely walk for 6 months, and couldn't run for 18 months. Finally, I moved to a new city and work pattern changed, so I hope to reach my 50th in next 2 or 3 weeks, depending on whether I can fit in one when working at Portsmouth Blacklight Run this weekend, holiday in Lake District at Easter and working in Cambridge for following 2 weeks. I've borrowed a few keen-to-run children from non running parents to take them on 2km junior or 5km parkruns, as well, which adds to the fun.
For anyone unsure about their first, please be assured that you don't have to run all 5km - many people alternate running / jogging / walking, especially on hilly parkrun courses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I do parkruns - I've had 3 different home parkruns in past 5 years or so that I've been doing them. Until 18 months ago, I worked a minimum of one weekend in three, and due to an injury suffered by falling into cattle grid when putting out cycle sportive signs in the dark, because there was only the race organiser and me as solo volunteer, I could barely walk for 6 months, and couldn't run for 18 months. Finally, I moved to a new city and work pattern changed, so I hope to reach my 50th in next 2 or 3 weeks, depending on whether I can fit in one when working at Portsmouth Blacklight Run this weekend, holiday in Lake District at Easter and working in Cambridge for following 2 weeks. I've borrowed a few keen-to-run children from non running parents to take them on 2km junior or 5km parkruns, as well, which adds to the fun.
For anyone unsure about their first, please be assured that you don't have to run all 5km - many people alternate running / jogging / walking, especially on hilly parkrun courses.
Hola

That's one of the good things about them once you've registered you can run at anyone up and down the country. Sorry to hear about the injury - doesn't sound to pleasant but glad your up and running now. Don't you get a tee shirt or something after 50 runs?

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Read 'Think like a pancreas', some good stuff in there about exercise.