What do you miss from the 'Olden Days'?

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
:D Sitting here with my mouth watering remembering flying saucers, they were my favourites.
What about buying a quarter of sherbet with a liquorice dip. Yum.
OK then, don't mind if I do!;)

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
This isn't really a 'miss' but definitely a very strong memory. How many remember helping their Mums or Nans do the washing in an old boiler, scrubbing it on the wash board and then putting it through the mangle. Washing was put out all weathers and goodness knows how it stayed so sparkly white with all the fog and smog. Oh and the smell of that boiled washing was divine. Never seen whites as clean since. Lovely :)
Having said all that, thank God for automatic washing machines Lol.:hilarious:
Yeah I remember my Mum shoving sheets through the mangle and boiling stuff on the stove and poking it with an old wooden spoon. And I guess we take for granted having a washing machine and spinner all in one these days, not to mention a dryer to boot!

C

chris lowe

Sixpence, 2 1/2 pence wasn't it, I still have some old coins, one is a farthing, but my dad gave it to me lol not actually used one myself lol
I sometimes have to stop myself think how much something was in "odl money" I remember a mars bar was 6d now it's something like 60p or more - that's12/- (shillings).

C

chris lowe

Yeah I remember my Mum shoving sheets through the mangle and boiling stuff on the stove and poking it with an old wooden spoon. And I guess we take for granted having a washing machine and spinner all in one these days, not to mention a dryer to boot!
I remember my gran washing her sheets in a Burco boiler and she used to put in a blue bag, don't know what was in it but it made the whites look very white.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was a dolly blue Chris I haven't a clue what was in them but they made the whites very clean
CAROL

Reactions: 2 people

Okjilly67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaners!! Cold weather, being shut in for months being without my friends and family oooops am I moaning
I had my skates for christmas once , never could balance on them though ...
But they were trendy ..loved them
I can remember we were pretty poor (didn't know it) but then everyone was in our street, we had very little but hankered after nothing really. Though I wanted skates, so mine came via my dads skirmishes into other people's throw-always, he was a decorator - so folk cleared stuff out but to my dad it was treasure. Came the day he found rusty wheeled all metal skates. Bless him he cleaned and oiled them, made new laced out of his old ones, to me they were the most exciting thing I had ever owned. Of course immediately I was the skater Sonja Heni.... Of movie fame. I only skated from our street door to the end of the road where the post box was (I couldn't stop without it) but that was heaven to me.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It was a dolly blue Chris I haven't a clue what was in them but they made the whites very clean
CAROL

upload_2015-3-5_19-51-17.jpeg
or Ricketts blue bag

Reactions: 6 people

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
@Robinredbreast you had carpet??? you wuz practically royalty, i bet you had an inside toilet too with a wooden seat. all we had was hay on the floor and an outside shed with a hole and we shared that shed with the whole street and newspaper for toilet roll if we wuz lucky. those were the days.
Aye ... and ya tell kids today and they don't bluddy believe ya!

Reactions: 10 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Aye ... and ya tell kids today and they don't bluddy believe ya!
lol.. aye... everything i said was true apart from sharing it with the street, as i remember, it was along time ago, the outside loo was freezing in the winter :wideyed: but we had a wooden seat and that made it a little bit more bearable, seems unimaginable now ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.

...................The black stuff.

geh.gif

geg.jpg

willie.

Reactions: 5 people
C

chris lowe

Was chatting to a friend today and somehow got round to talking about Frys Chocolate Cream bars. I've seen them in the supermarkets along with an orange flavour but I've not seen the fruit flavour bars that had about five different flavours for years. Was quite pleased with myself today, I managed to go past the Lindt shop twice and didn't buy any.

Reactions: 12 people

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Fry' s chocolate cream was one of my favourites as I have always preferred dark to milk chocolate, the bars (like everything) are much smaller now but what I wouldn't give to put my teeth into one. I remember the fruit bar too and Five Boys with the little faces on each piece. And what happened to Squirrel sweets nobody made midget gems or dolly mixture like Squirrell
Awww .. I LOVE dolly mixtures .. they were my favourite sweets when I was a kid. The chocolate ones were my favourite :hungry:

Reactions: 8 people

Skydog76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rap Music, Football, Rugby Union, Hipsters, The EU
Miss the sound kids playing out in the streets during summer, we were always out as kids messing about getting into allsorts of trouble (nothing serious), you rarely see kids messing around building forts and go karts, jumping bikes over ramps, playing back street cricket with a bin for stumps, all they seem to do is **** about with mobile phones, really do feel sorry for them, they are missing out on tons of great fun, also miss great TV like Hart to Hart, Loveboat, Miami Vice, Married With Children, Jake and the Fatman, Northern exposure etc etc, real Heavy Metal like we had in the 80's with musicians that could really play their instruments not the **** corpse paint waering gutteral growling black metal **** you get today. and last but not least Denim Flares, Nutty Bars, Texans, United biscuits and Fresh Cream Cakes.

Reactions: 11 people

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Oh my goodness! Remember my darling Mum talking about these. We lived in Covent Garden (when it was nowhere near as posh as it is now - Peabody Buildings, to be exact), and the nurse at the baby clinic always commented on how white my nappies were because of the dolly bags my Mum used.

Thanks for reminding me!

Reactions: 4 people