A Level Exam Research, HELP?

coren1

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello,
I'm doing research for a my Health and Social Care A Levels exam on may the 5th, 6th and 7th! (10 hour long exam!!!)
If you're kind enough to help me out by answering a few of my question, i would really appreciate it! Just need to do a disclaimer that you don't have to answer any questions and obviously this is confidential so no personal info such as name, address, email address, telephone number will be needed or shared.

I was wondering if anyone could help me by telling me a bit about their personal life and how diabetes has an effect on it.
-Is it emotionally draining?
-Do you get tired quickly?
-Do you ever feel lonely?
-Do you feel like diabetes is all you discuss with friends/family?
-Are there any restrictions in your life, because of diabetes?

Thank you, really appreciate it

xxx

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hello,
I'm doing research for a my Health and Social Care A Levels exam on may the 5th, 6th and 7th! (10 hour long exam!!!)
If you're kind enough to help me out by answering a few of my question, i would really appreciate it! Just need to do a disclaimer that you don't have to answer any questions and obviously this is confidential so no personal info such as name, address, email address, telephone number will be needed or shared.

I was wondering if anyone could help me by telling me a bit about their personal life and how diabetes has an effect on it.
-Is it emotionally draining? No, you need to keep an eye on it but when you have got the basics right then it's just maintenance really.
-Do you get tired quickly? Not because of diabetes (because of small children)
-Do you ever feel lonely? No
-Do you feel like diabetes is all you discuss with friends/family? No
-Are there any restrictions in your life, because of diabetes? Yes, I have to keep diabetes equipment (insulin, blood testing kit other medications) with me and I have to watch my diet. Neither of those restrictions are problematic.

Good luck with your exams!

xxx

Reactions: 2 people

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
-Is it emotionally draining? 4 me its not
-Do you get tired quickly? not now,only when me sugars were hi before
-Do you ever feel lonely? no
-Do you feel like diabetes is all you discuss with friends/family? i did,my girlfriend told me 2 shut up! lol
-Are there any restrictions in your life, because of diabetes? not realy,liking me new diet

shedlover111

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it is emotionally draining at the beginning after diagnosis
At times tire easily but that maybe old age!!
Personally yes I do feel lonely, I have never met another Type 1" in the wild" and think it would be good to have someone in my life that knew what I was going through and that I could bounce ideas off............that's where this forum is good
I am afraid after a few years any mention of Diabetes within friend or family groups is met with raised eyebrows and a "here we go again" look so I dont bother
Don't really have any restrictions in the way i live my life but just have to plan carefully

Good luck

Reactions: 4 people

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
-Is it emotionally draining? I find it so as I am constantly thinking about it... what to eat, what to drink etc... and the guilt when you eat something you know you shouldn't.

-Do you get tired quickly? Not physically. I walk my dog for 2 hours a day, work full time and have children. Mentally - yes.

-Do you ever feel lonely? Yes - the answer stems from the answer to the next question.

-Do you feel like diabetes is all you discuss with friends/family? I don't discuss it with them at all as they gently told me a few years ago that it is my problem and as such I should deal with it. That sounds harsh and it is not how they worded it but I got the general gist and understood where they were coming from. I was even beginning to bore myself!! But.. because of that sometimes I feel lonely with it all!

-Are there any restrictions in your life, because of diabetes? No, I just have to think in advance and prepare!

desidiabulum

Hello,

-Is it emotionally draining?
-Do you get tired quickly?
-Do you ever feel lonely?
-Do you feel like diabetes is all you discuss with friends/family?
-Are there any restrictions in your life, because of diabetes?

xxx

Hi -- I think you really need to make sure that you are asking people to say whether they are T1 or T2, and how long they have been diagnosed -- this may have an effect on their responses..

-Is it emotionally draining? No -- only a minor irritant
-Do you get tired quickly? No
-Do you feel like diabetes is all you discuss with friends/family? No -- I prefer only to discuss it with fellow-diabetics
-Are there any restrictions in your life, because of diabetes? Yes, to a minor extent -- I have to eat out a lot or am on the move, and finding things I can eat is a constant battle. Until my BGs stabilized hypos were a problem.
I have been diagnosed 5 years, and am T2 for the purposes of this questionnaire.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@coren1,
Good luck on the Health and Social Care A Levels exam.

About my personal life and how diabetes has an effect on it.:

-Is it emotionally draining? The D itself , no. The HCPs Yes mainly due to their lack of up to date knowledge and tendency to deem anyone without a MB.ChB a functional moron!

-Do you get tired quickly? Not really, Fitter now than before diagnosis

-Do you ever feel lonely? Yes, feels like I'm the only D in the Village under 100, not mainlining insulin <G>

-Do you feel like diabetes is all you discuss with friends/family? No, have other things to discuss. If they ask, .I will tell them..

-Are there any restrictions in your life, because of diabetes? Employers, etc don't understand the difference between me, on D&E and someone on insulin.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it emotionally draining? NO
-Do you get tired quickly? NO, NEVER FELT BETTER
-Do you ever feel lonely? NEVER
-Do you feel like diabetes is all you discuss with friends/family? NO
-Are there any restrictions in your life, because of diabetes? YES, FOOD CHOICES DIFFICULT OUTSIDE MY HOME

Type 2, diet only, no medication.

Good luck with your exam.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Type 1 for 26 years:

-Is it emotionally draining? No
-Do you get tired quickly? No
-Do you feel like diabetes is all you discuss with friends/family? No, it's something that we hardly ever talk about.
-Are there any restrictions in your life, because of diabetes? No, I don't think there are.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
No to all questions, good luck with your exam.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hello,

-Is it emotionally draining? Maybe at the beginning but you learn to live with it.
-Do you get tired quickly? No.
-Do you ever feel lonely? No, good support from friends, family and work colleagues etc.
-Do you feel like diabetes is all you discuss with friends/family? No.
-Are there any restrictions in your life, because of diabetes? Only thing I can think of is the fact that I can no longer eat whatever I want at any time. But I only inject twice a day and I realise there are other possibilities to alleviate this. And some things - like physical activity - have to be planned for.

You're welcome - good luck with the A levels.

xxx