Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think your anger is being misdirected @eddie1968.

Forum members have reported individual posts on here as thread derailment and the Mod intervention was far from extreme. If Mods had used extreme intervention then posts would have been deleted and warnings issued. Members were asked to stay on track.

It's a no win situation as some members are unhappy with the thread derailments and others think it should be allowed to continue even though it is against forum rules.

I run several forums myself and I can concur that you can't please everyone as a mod at the same time when responding to issues in threads. It's extremely difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
S

Sable_Jan

6.7 this morning. Quite disappointing really as I was 5.6 before bed and 7.5 was my highest reading all day yesterday. I'll take some comfort in the fact that my first 14 days fasting average was 7,.5 and my second 14 fasting average was 7.4 and I'm currently on track for a 6.7 average over the first 14 days in March.
Sometimes when I've had really good low numbers the day before my fasting levels are up a bit...a bit of liver awareness and it "helping out" possibly

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can do, depending in what you've eaten....high GI/GL foods particularly but they're gonna be on our naughty list...;)

I doubt it; it takes more than a couple of minutes for starch to be converted in to glucose and then be absorbed by the gut. Even pure sugar would take more than a few minutes to be absorbed. It spends some time in the stomach and then passes into the small intestine where absorption takes place. Pretty sure about that from my A-Level biology :) What I don't know is whether or not the process of eating (or even anticipating or preparing) food can stimulate some kind of secondary source of blood glucose for some reason.

S

Sable_Jan

I doubt it; it takes more than a couple of minutes for starch to be converted in to glucose and then be absorbed by the gut. Even pure sugar would take more than a few minutes to be absorbed. It spends some time in the stomach and then passes into the small intestine where absorption takes place. Pretty sure about that from my A-Level biology :) What I don't know is whether or not the process of eating (or even anticipating or preparing) food can stimulate some kind of secondary source of blood glucose for some reason.
It's going to be more like 20 mins from the start of eating though if test is 2mins post brekky. Good point abt the stimulation idea - Pavlov's dogs and all that...

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.0 at bedtime
5.6 this morning

I've been looking at my overnight and day time rises and falls.
Average overnight rise is 0.34
Average day time fall is 0.33
So I would say I am pretty stable. :)

Reactions: 14 people

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately lost the strict control since yesterday afternoon. 5.8 this morning after a post-dinner reading of 6.3. As I said last night, it's hard being good every day. First time over 5.5 since 5/2.

Reactions: 12 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately lost the strict control since yesterday afternoon. 5.8 this morning after a post-dinner reading of 6.3. As I said last night, it's hard being good every day. First time over 5.5 since 5/2.

Sometimes it is too hard, but even so, your figures are still non-diabetic, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Reactions: 6 people
S

Sable_Jan

Do NOT despair.....6.3 is really good......honestly. you're doing great. Sometimes we get fixated and TOO strict, cut yourself some slack :)

Reactions: 11 people

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dibbles your not odd mine often does that. If I am having a fasting test Dad normally comes with me and brings some food so I can eat straight away and avoid a hypo

Reactions: 10 people

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
Sometimes when I've had really good low numbers the day before my fasting levels are up a bit...a bit of liver awareness and it "helping out" possibly

Thanks for the response. I'll thank my liver later ! What upsets me most is the fact that the higher fasting levels will all contribute to my 2nd HbA1c results in April. I want to stay off the medication if I can.

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
One or two won't make much difference as far as I can remember its the 3-4 weeks just before your test that count the most. What are your readings like and how long have you been testing for?

Reactions: 2 people

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
One or two won't make much difference as far as I can remember its the 3-4 weeks just before your test that count the most. What are your readings like and how long have you been testing for?

I've only been testing since the beginning of February (diagnosed mid-January. Overall, my readings are coming down since I started testing and yesterday my highest was 7.5 (1 hour after breakfast) and my lowest was 4.6 (mid afternoon ). My bedtime reading was 5.6.

Reactions: 14 people

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like your doing OK I was told by diabetic nurse to try and keep below 8.5. Not working for me but I am waiting to start insulin because of steroids and genetic disorder means I can't take any of the tablets for diabetes

Reactions: 11 people
Status
Not open for further replies.