Tinnitus and dizziness

rosie26

Hi there,
I have just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I am on 500mgs of metformin and have been for about 2 weeks now and wondered whether the symptoms of dizziness, upset tummy, feeling really tired and having tinnitus is normal.
I have just rung my doctors who said she cannot find these side effects so it has probably nothing to do with the metformin.
I feel just awful but did not before taking this. It may be that Its just a virus that I picked up at the same time but as I am not that confident with my doctor thought I would ask on here.

Many thanks

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Your GP should know that metformin has the very common side effect of gastrointestinal upsets as well as the link to decreased vitamin-B12 absorption.
Vitamin B12 deficiency has sometimes been linked as a cause of tinnitus as the lack of Vitamin B12 causes a dysfunction in the auditory pathway.

I am not saying the B12 is the problem in your case, but it is something that a qualified GP should be fully aware of and test for it.

My advice is ask again but this time make an appointment with another who is better informed about diabetes care.

rosie26

Thank you all so much.
I am borderline Diabetic and also have thyroid problems so the doctor told me that if I manage to lose about 2 stone in weight I probably would not be diabetic and that taking the metformin will help me lose some of that weight. All it seems to do though is make me feel tired dizzy and now this awful noise in my ears.
I will go back to the doctors as I felt so good before taking these and was losing weight. Now its an effort to do any exercise and any bending down just makes the room spin..

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hi, it may be an inner ear problem either as i suffer from it too, after many tests and different tablets i did get a diagnosis, even if it is the metformin your gp should be able to give u something for the dizziness :D

youngmanfrank

Has your doctor prescribed an aspirin a day as part of your treatment?

I had tinnitus and eventually found a reference to long term use of aspirin causing this problem.I stopped my aspirin a day and slowly over a period of one week the tinnitus faded to almost nothing.
Doctor had prescribed antibiotics for a presumed infection and then suggested vaguely that it might be a virus!In my case the tinnitus started after I was diagnosed diabetic,so it had to be one of the medicines I was on (metforminx3,ezetrol and aspirin)

Everybody responds to medicines in a different way,in my case I cannot tolerate statins.

andrewa

I was diagnosed with Menieres last year and I do have all the "classic" symptoms, dizzyness, deafness and tinnitus. However my GP is convinced that this is linked to my Type 2 diabetes. He thinks when my blood sugar is high it triggers the Menieres. I'm not totally convinced but am co-operating with my doctor in trying to see if there is a link and monitoring my symptoms.

rosie26

I had meniers disease many years ago but did not have diabetes then at all. This all started to happen when I was put on metformin. As I have borderline diabetes and the doctor said that all though I did not really need metformin but should take it to help my weight I have temporarily come off it for the last 6 days and all those Symptoms have gone. I feel so much better but sadly this was just an experiment so will have to go back on them once more... It will be interesting to see the results of that. I am using this to take to my doctors but have no doubt they will be sceptical as once they have made their minds up about something they will not change it. My doctor doesnt really like you to try and diagnose yourself so I wont be expecting too much back!

andrewa

Yes, unfortunately a lot of doctors don't like people to "self-diagnose". Often people with chronic ailments know more than their GPs, we have to live with it, they don't, so it's a part of our lives 24/7.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya rosie,
if you had menieres before it is probably that as menieres is known to come and go :)

Helga

I suffererd from dizziness real bad before I got my glucose down. Couldn't garden any more because of the bending down. Now it is all gone. And I am just a borderline too. Low carbing is the way to go for me. Helga

David Bird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i suffer tinnitus and slight dizzyness along with low grage headache almost constantly along with my other multitude of ailments ,I am getting better control of my diabetes as an attempt to reduce all these symptoms ,now nearly 3 weeks in and not noticed any reduction in symptoms - any ideas ?