Multiple symptoms relating to type 2 badly managed

David Bird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi would be interesting to know if any of you fine folks suffer similarly to me especially if Like me you fell into bad habits for an extended period of time causing symptoms to surface. I have multiple sites of pain almost every body part at some stage in a week not severe but annoying background in most cases.Now that i intend long term to listen and learn and manage my condition sensibly how long should i be expected to wait to see improvement in symptoms. Will i also be able do you think to start to be able to reduce medication given for the type 2 currently 1000mg and 5mg trajenta daily . I would also be interested to hear peoples opinions on the other daily meds i take that could possibly cause some of the discomforts i suffer and wether it may be them rather than the type 2 meds causing the symptoms.cyanocobalamin 50mcg and Atorvastatin 10mg.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi David and welcome,

Sorry to read about all your problems, but it's never too late to do something about this disease. Great to see you have found this forum where you will find a lot of friendly folk with a wealth of experience to offer support and help. Getting your blood sugars down will help considerably with your symptoms (hopefully) and yes, it is perfectly possible to reduce meds providing your pancreas isn't badly damaged.

It may help if you tell us what your last HbA1c was and what your current levels are (assuming you have your own meter?). If you don't have a meter, that is the first thing you should put right. They are the most essential tools we can have to help us manage our eating plans better. Your BMI or current weight would also be helpful, as would a typical day's food/drink intake.

Meanwhile, I will tag @daisy1 to come along with some general advice for new members.

Reactions: 2 people

David Bird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do have a meter an Accucheck compact and i am testing using strips i have had for a few years ,the date on containers says mainly 2012 i hope to convince doctor in a few weeks when i can convince him i am serious in getting a grip with control to give some current strips . My weight has reduced from just over 19 stone in the last month to just over 18 stone i am 6ft 1 inch i intend reducing my weight significantly as part of my efforts.Dont remember last Hba1c but seem to think it was approx 9 i do remember practice nurse saying it was nothing to be concerned about eeek she also tested my feet and commented they were in good shape and indeed looked good ?. Drink is maily low or no sugar soft drink + 3/4 cups of coffee . My diet has been based on carbs all my life potatoes pies and bread being my staples i have now stopped them completely and am struggling about to find safe variety eating mainly steak chicken eggs bacon sausage . I do hope fairly soon to get used to a more varied selection - i like vegetables and some fruit but am told most of them are not compatible especially the fruits and the vegetables grown beneath the soil including carrots that i imagined would be super safe.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
google atkins induction or phase one diets (LCHF), food lists, meal planners and recipes
http://au-mealplanner.atkins.com/atkins-recipes/search-recipes.html?searchparam=
if you search hard enough you can even download a free atkins pdf book

I think diet is 80% ....drugs and exercise 20%..initially a lot of T2 can't exercise much and 12mths later I still do very little. I've lost 13kg and now have normal BG with LCHF and metformin.
I think metformin is a good drug to stay on for life, Studies: anticancer, good for heart and live longer than people who don't take them.

as far as aches go, ask your Dr about meds.
a lot find that when they cut carbs, a lot of aches go away.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, you have made a good start. Well done. I wish you luck in getting strips on prescription, but no harm in asking. Most of us T2's have to buy our own meters and strips, but they are worth every penny. We can't put a price on good health. One other thing you could do is ask at your surgery for a print out of your last blood tests. You are entitled to these, and will find them very useful in the future. It is always good to know where your starting point is and watch those levels coming down.

Good to see you have cut out those carbs. You must be feeling better already. Don't forget to eat real fats rather than low fat products. They have more sugar in them and are not as good for you in many ways.

If you test yourself immediately before you eat, then again at 2 hours after your first bite, you can look at the difference between the 2 readings. It is best to keep this under 2mmol/l, ideally under 1.5mmol/l. If it goes over there is something in that food that needs reducing or avoiding. It's a good way of learning portion control. Some people for example can cope with a slice of bread, whereas others can't. I am pleased to say I can cope with 1 slice of Hovis Wholemeal Seed Sensations, but definitely not 2 slices. Doing this helps you learn, especially if you also keep a food diary including portions and record your before and after levels alongside. You will soon learn what size portions of carbs are OK for you personally. We are all different in what we can tolerate. (some folk can manage a portion of carrots too!!)

Have a look at this thread, designed for people new to low carbing. You will find it useful http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-new-low-carb-guide-for-beginners.68695/

David Bird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
cant say i have noticed any improvement in health symptoms in fact i think they have gone worse maybe due to the drastic diet change ,most of my readings after food are generally in the 6s range in fact today after omellete with included bacon and peppers was after 1 hr 6.4 but after 2 hrs jumped to 7.4 then after 3 hrs went back to 6.4 .My excercise will increase now as the weather improves i have a large dog (Rhodesian Ridgeback ) and rather than a jaunt round the local park in winter i will increase to 4/5 mile hikes so expect weight to drop and figures to improve re the meter.I hit the wall after so long ignoring the condition and like packing in smoking that i did 4 1/2 yrs ago after a life of heavy smoking i intend on changing my dietary ways forever .

Reactions: 5 people

David Bird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First thing in the morning is a strange one for me i work evenings untill late and then stay on computer etc untill 4/5 am so tend to rise approx 11am . I will get a booklet to keep a record of all readings and the reasons for fluctuations i am just a tad concerned that the testing strips i have may not be accurate given they are out of date but i want to persevere for a couple of months before i approach my doctor to ask for new supply telling him of the benefits they are to me and how my condition is improving re readings . Dont even know if current meter is compatible with the strips normally given out these days so may have to change meter also - its easy to get a new meter more difficult getting doctor to supply prescription for strips but i am confident.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. With regard to aches, the gliptin family of drugs of which Trajenta is one are usually problem free. The statins can cause some people problems with muscle pains but that is a low dose you are on but it's always possible you are reacting to it? I know nothing about the other drug you mention

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

It sounds like you have made a great start.

No one can promise that your symptoms and pain will improve. But improvements do often happen.

I saw someone post that the nerve pain they were experiencing got worse for a while, as the nerves recovered from the damage that too high blood sugar levels had caused. However, after that, their symptoms improved a great deal. Sorry, I can't remember who it was, or I would tag them. Hopefully they will find this thread and comment.

Other people find the pain clears up tremendously.

Your energy levels and general well being should be improving already. :D

David Bird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
no energy levels are suffering probably in conjunction with general well being but i will stay positive and hope its just a glitch whilst body adjusts before improving.

Reactions: 4 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@David Bird

Hello David and welcome to the forum :) You have already had some very good advice and to add to this, here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Carry on asking questions and people will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 130,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

David Bird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had an 8.7 1 hr after fillet steak - cabbage cauli carrots/swede small sweet potato. Just experimenting with some foods but thats the highest reading for a couple of weeks so it seems sweet potato may be a no no

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had an 8.7 1 hr after fillet steak - cabbage cauli carrots/swede small sweet potato. Just experimenting with some foods but thats the highest reading for a couple of weeks so it seems sweet potato may be a no no
yep..no starch veg or anything underground, corn can spike too, though 2 hr should be lower
I'd cut the carbs right back for a couple of months, I'd get my BG ok.. then I'd think about adding in some carbs

how much carb
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/carblevel.htm

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try again at 2 hours. Everyone spikes at an hour, even non-diabetics. The trick is to be well back down again at 2 hours. A lot of meals will peak between 1 and 2 hours. Don't discount a food on an hour reading, and not necessary to discard it until you have tried with a smaller portion. (unless you aren't bothered about discarding it) It may also be the carrots.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@jack412 and I are giving you conflicting information! (our posts crossed). I am not as hardcore as Jack. Either point of view is valid.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm more cut everything in the beginning and go <50g ketogenic LCHF..get your BG and weight down as best you can for a couple of months..then reevaluate ..
you are more 'eat to your meter' than me bluetit :) and I think thats for a couple of months time after the new person learns about carbs and carb counting.

just a slightly different track to the same goal

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sweet potato spikes me something terrible. :( Others are fine with it.
Luck of the draw, I'm afraid.

David Bird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
never had sweet potato in my life but got some a few days ago thinking i had heard it was a better option than potato although i did suspect it may still be a bit dodgy - you live and learn .Just done 2 hr meter and its dropped from 8.7 to 7.7 got to go work now so no more testing tonight. I started out thinking how can i give up everything i love to eat at the drop of a hat but my head is telling me it will be worth the effort long term . I just need to get more adventurous with my diet and find more foods that are positive. I aint giving up so i may as well get used to it.

Reactions: 3 people

David Bird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do sweeteners fair in the low carb way of eating you hear many stories that they have a negative affect on the body .It seems the world is obsessed with sweet and if sugar is a no no then all manner of sweeteners are used .