Newcastle Diet

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doc dismissed ncd just said don't know about it never heard bout it and wouldn't suggest u do it.
What are my options now?
I knew she's say that I was sure

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doc dismissed ncd just said don't know about it never heard bout it and wouldn't suggest u do it.
What are my options now?
there is a print-out on the website to take to your DR
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/documents/Informationfordoctors_revised_April14.pdf

I guess your options are now one of the low carbs?
From the Southport gp who posts here
http://www.practicaldiabetes.com/Sp.../March 2014/PP Unwin final proofs revised.pdf

it’s a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

Reactions: 2 people

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What are my options now?

Personally Brettsza, and bearing in mind Pipp's previous comment of presuming that you have no other health issues, if you're willing to stick it out for the 8 weeks, I'd still do it.

I made my mind up that irrsepective what my Doc said, I was going to do it anyway. I figured that yes, it would be gruelling but it was worth a try - thankfully, my Doctor agreed

The DN isn't happy, she wants me to stick to NHS guidelines, which I now know from on here, are a pretty much sure-fire way of leading to more & more medication mainly due to all the carbs turning readily into glucose (why would I want to do that ?? !!)

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are my options now?

Have you always done as your Doc has told you to? Have you followed his practise's guidance on diabetic diet to date?

If you are otherwise completely healthy, I would consider setting some objectives, then adding the risks, and actions to be taken should a risk arise, and make that your personal contract. Are you married, or with a partner? Perhaps they could be your "supervisor" in this regard. So, in other words, explaining the objectives, milestones, risks and actions and ask them to show you along. You could have a formal weekly review, with weighing in and formal logging of fasting and maybe other bloods?

The only reason I suggest that is you seem to want some form of support which your doc is unable to give, for whatever reason. In some ways I can understand no supporting something he's never heard of, rubbish though it may seem right now.

Reactions: 4 people

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I
What are my options now?

OMG!

Brettsza - perhaps, if I may be so bold? It is time to get another doctor? (I don't know the Brit system about GPs - if you are in Britain. I'm not sure how easy it is to swap GPs, but if you can - could be a wonderful move for you!)

Especially, as you say, you are only 33! How can a doctor NOT be supportive? This is you wanting to take a good chance at reversal/remission in one of the ways open to us. We, in here, fellow diabetics, get it of course! Why can't your doctor?

I 'hmph' on your behalf!

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

[USER=150927]@AloeSvea
is doing a VLCD too but not shakes instead having veggies.
[/USER]

I am doing more than just veggies. I am on a seriously deviated ND - I eat a 'mini paleo' diet - so the whole bit of meat, poultry, fish, fruit, veg, and even some nuts if I can squeeze them in, in the calorie count.

But you do understand that to be a VLCD, or a LCD, the servings are VERY mini! I am getting towards the end so I have been known to jump up and down in the kitchen complaining about being hungry for nearly 2 months. (People are very different - I am just one of the people who did not experience a greatly reduced appetite being on a VLCD/LCD.) Note too that this involves an enormous amount of calorie counting - what a bore that is! But worth it for me to be able to eat 'real food' and VLCD/LCD.

I am in fact now on a 'modified paleo' diet, and have the odd slice of cheese - a mini slice! (My food intake has been a journey.) I have had to watch my fat intake closely, as I have a gallstone that I have to look after until I figure out what to do with it. The ND raised its fat intake allowance, due to the issue of gallstone prevention (which can be a problem in a VLCD.) And some kind souls in this forum worked out what that meant in terms of calories,so I made that adjustment in my calorie count. (Healthy fat has a high calorie count, I now REALLY know.) (Please note here - for gallbladder health you need some level of dietary fat. Especially if you are down-sizing the amount of food - stuff? - going through your gallbladder.)

I also up-adjusted my calorie count to include a daily green drink, so I am not strictly on a Very Low Calorie Diet, but a Low Calorie Diet now. I figured this would suit me for such a long period - and two months is a good period of time. (I am not overweight, especially not now, with a BMI of 22 at the moment, and am having to watch closely to see how close to comfortable I can be AND have a defatted liver and pancreas. This is what my Diabetes Nurse has been monitoring, especially as I am in a sub-arctic climate.) (Keeping warm outdoors during the winter!) (ie comfortably alive and outdoor exercising :-).)

OK - that's me.

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I am doing more than just veggies. I am on a seriously deviated ND - I eat a 'mini paleo' diet - so the whole bit of meat, poultry, fish, fruit, veg, and even some nuts if I can squeeze them in, in the calorie count.

But you do understand that to be a VLCD, or a LCD, the servings are VERY mini! I am getting towards the end so I have been known to jump up and down in the kitchen complaining about being hungry for nearly 2 months. (People are very different - I am just one of the people who did not experience a greatly reduced appetite being on a VLCD/LCD.) Note too that this involves an enormous amount of calorie counting - what a bore that is! But worth it for me to be able to eat 'real food' and VLCD/LCD.

I am in fact now on a 'modified paleo' diet, and have the odd slice of cheese - a mini slice! (My food intake has been a journey.) I have had to watch my fat intake closely, as I have a gallstone that I have to look after until I figure out what to do with it. The ND raised its fat intake allowance, due to the issue of gallstone prevention (which can be a problem in a VLCD.) And some kind souls in this forum worked out what that meant in terms of calories,so I made that adjustment in my calorie count. (Healthy fat has a high calorie count, I now REALLY know.) (Please note here - for gallbladder health you need some level of dietary fat. Especially if you are down-sizing the amount of food - stuff? - going through your gallbladder.)

I also up-adjusted my calorie count to include a daily green drink, so I am not strictly on a Very Low Calorie Diet, but a Low Calorie Diet now. I figured this would suit me for such a long period - and two months is a good period of time. (I am not overweight, especially not now, with a BMI of 22 at the moment, and am having to watch closely to see how close to comfortable I can be AND have a defatted liver and pancreas. This is what my Diabetes Nurse has been monitoring, especially as I am in a sub-arctic climate.) (Keeping warm outdoors during the winter!) (ie comfortably alive and outdoor exercising :-).)

OK - that's me.

Sounds like an interesting 'variation' of the Newcastle, AloeSvea, and I'd be really interested to know your results at the end of it.

Now, after my first week on it, I have found lots of variations of what to eat but still staying within the strict guidelines from Prof Taylor

Yesterday I only had 2 shakes and my '200gram' greens and I still felt full, never hungry. That, for a 6'4" gentle giant like me who used to shovel food like I was feeding a boiler on the Titanic is amazing to me.

For anyone wishing to or considering doing the Newcastle Diet, my best recommendation so far is : get a decent blender !!!!!

My cheapo blender from ASDA just didn't cut it (literally !) so I invested in a Nutri Ninja on Friday (£75, cheaper and better than a Nutri Bullet)

Makes my daily water-shakes deliciously smooth and withy vegetables it is fantastic. Celery is reduced so finely there are no 'bits'. Made my wife a fruit smoothie with tangerine, melon & pear and she said it was scrumptious ...... she had half then put it in the freezer to become a sorbet :)

I look forward to using it a lot more as it is really versatile and I'm already thinking of idea's for soups as well as green smoothies

I'm also looking at doing a full 'review' of it in the near future once I've had a few weeks experience at what it can do

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sounds like an interesting 'variation' of the Newcastle, AloeSvea, and I'd be really interested to know your results at the end of it.

Now, after my first week on it, I have found lots of variations of what to eat but still staying within the strict guidelines from Prof Taylor

Yesterday I only had 2 shakes and my '200gram' greens and I still felt full, never hungry. That, for a 6'4" gentle giant like me who used to shovel food like I was feeding a boiler on the Titanic is amazing to me.

For anyone wishing to or considering doing the Newcastle Diet, my best recommendation so far is : get a decent blender !!!!!

My cheapo blender from ASDA just didn't cut it (literally !) so I invested in a Nutri Ninja on Friday (£75, cheaper and better than a Nutri Bullet)

Makes my daily water-shakes deliciously smooth and withy vegetables it is fantastic. Celery is reduced so finely there are no 'bits'. Made my wife a fruit smoothie with tangerine, melon & pear and she said it was scrumptious ...... she had half then put it in the freezer to become a sorbet :)

I look forward to using it a lot more as it is really versatile and I'm already thinking of idea's for soups as well as green smoothies

I'm also looking at doing a full 'review' of it in the near future once I've had a few weeks experience at what it can do

Blenders are wonderful, and a great thing in the kitchen. But you know there is no real basis for making your food liquid don't you, as part of the ND? ie the ND does not work because food is in liquid form. (Believe you me, I have spent some time looking at the study, the diet, and the science behind it to figure out if the liquid nature of the ND had anything to do with the results - it doesn't.)

Using meal replacement sachets is a convenient way to count the calories, and for the ND - to keep it under a tight control for study purposes.

But yes, nutrition, and foods, and diets on a study are interesting indeed!

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blenders are wonderful, and a great thing in the kitchen. But you know there is no real basis for making your food liquid don't you, as part of the ND? ie the ND does not work because food is in liquid form. (Believe you me, I have spent some time looking at the study, the diet, and the science behind it to figure out if the liquid nature of the ND had anything to do with the results - it doesn't.)

Using meal replacement sachets is a convenient way to count the calories, and for the ND - to keep it under a tight control for study purposes.

But yes, nutrition, and foods, and diets on a study are interesting indeed!

Hiya - yes I know that 'liquid meals' aren't a requisite per se, but they are damned convenient when you need a meal and you're a shift worker. My 'favourite' vegetable meal as part of the ND is 'aubergine picking style' which is basically a vegetable curry ...... I could eat it till the cows come home

As it is, I 'savour' my 200 grams as an evening meal with a teaspoon - and thoroughly enjoy it

I'm planning on the LCHF diet as my maintenance diet once I finish the ND though the idea of a very quick & tasty way of getting my 7 a day via a green (or otherwise) smoothie really appeals ....... especially when 'breakfast' is at 04:00

Nutrition, food & diets - and the study of - is fast becoming my favourite topic of learning :D

Reactions: 3 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At my surgery there are several GPs and I have had contact with two and assigned one. A third was the recipient of my original referral from the retinopathy department of a local hospital but not had any contact with that one. Of the two I have had contact with one was very supportive of losing weight to make the diabetes, in his words, go away. The doctor I have been assigned to was not very interested in what I had to say and although didn't tell me not to do the NCD it was clear what I was saying was going in one ear and out the other. My DN has been supportive but did not indicate any knowledge of the NCD. I think because I had already lost almost 8 kilos and shown slightly improved BG in my second venous blood test at diagnosis she was happy to let me do my thing. But if my doctor tried to persuade me to not do the NCD and insist I follow outdated guidelines I would ask for a second opinion or even a different GP.

Reactions: 3 people

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This Newcastle diet looks pretty intense. A question?
What happens when you stop this diet? Will the weight creep back on
after stopping.

I've tried all diets in the last 15 yrs, and I've failed miserably.
I have been doing the LC/HF for the last 3 weeks and I have lost
7lbs and I know it's not a lot, but I feel marvellous and I'm loving
All the food I make on this diet. I just feel that this Newcastle diet
would be like all the ones I've tried before.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You would still need to eat sensibly and exercise. Unless you do that the weight will definitely come back on.

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You would still need to eat sensibly and exercise. Unless you do that the weight will definitely come back on.
The exercise is a problem for me as I have osteoarthritis in knees and lower back.
I walk with the dog twice a day, and I'm hoping that when I lose more weight
That I'll be able to do more.
Thanks for your reply brettsza.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I am sorry I did not know about the knee problem but in that case after Newcastle diet you can go lchf may be. That will help too.

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh I am sorry I did not know about the knee problem but in that case after Newcastle diet you can go lchf may be. That will help too.
No worries Brettsza you weren't to know.
I know after looking at the Newcastle diet that I would fail miserably.
For the first time, in a long time, I'm loving this LC/HF diet, and I feel
full after every meal, so I'm not looking for extras ( like chocolate) as I have
been before. Plus I know I will stick with it.:)

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Believe me ND is difficult, hats off to those who have done it.

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This Newcastle diet looks pretty intense. A question?
What happens when you stop this diet? Will the weight creep back on
after stopping.

I've tried all diets in the last 15 yrs, and I've failed miserably.
I have been doing the LC/HF for the last 3 weeks and I have lost
7lbs and I know it's not a lot, but I feel marvellous and I'm loving
All the food I make on this diet. I just feel that this Newcastle diet
would be like all the ones I've tried before.

Hello Amanda

I'm doing the Newcastle Diet now - I'm on Week 3
My plan 'after' is to continue with one shake as one meal, a green smoothie for another and an LCHF meal for my 3rd, with the same level of exercise I currently do (walking, weights, rebounder, swimming and some climbing)