Some do - Some don't

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I estimate from zero to 50g per day usually.

Reactions: 4 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Stopped counting carbs when I came off insulin 5 years ago but probably eat around the 150gram a day level, sometime less sometimes more.

Reactions: 2 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Between 0 and 30 very rarely will it be higher than that.

I'm Type 1

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 4 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No limit, but between 200-300 a day depending on activities as exercise has a big effect on my levels.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Excluding my constant supply of caffeine with lactose .. Between 12g and 50g.
Excludes odd meals out with friends that just for one meal would be an average of 150g.
Type 1 and lean and mean, never crave.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@graj0 - I would have liked to see this as a poll - which I think would have been very interesting!

I don't really count carbs now but between 30 and 50 grams a day; seriously started very low carb diet at 20g a day to kick start ketosis and initial weight loss. Still in ketosis; eating small amounts of fruit in addition to my veggies; weight stable, but I need to lose more. I can't say much about initial BG levels as I originallly started lower carbing (i.e. cutting out most high sugar/starchy stuff) well before I got my meter.

Robbity

Quiller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I try for 100 g a day (plus or minus 20 g). You are right, it is difficult to find the RI/RDA/GDA figures (why do they keep changing these?). The attached I downloaded from somewhere shows 230 g for women and 300 g for men.

Attachments

• gda's.jpg
    gda's.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 263
G

graj0

@graj0 - I would have liked to see this as a poll - which I think would have been very interesting!
I thought of that, but didn't look into how to do it. I think asking how we count carbs would be interesting. I have some software on my desktop so I just weigh everything I eat or on the rare occasion when I eat processed food, I take the info from the label. I think the important thing is that there is no right or wrong, it's down to what we're happy with and what's best for our condition(s), however complex, because diabetes is just the start really.
Would I have to ask admin to set up a poll or is it straight forward as I can't see anything to set one up.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not counting any more, but don't think there's been much 'carb creep' since the days when I was - it varies, but most days anything up to 60g and very rarely above that. I periodically check my blood ketones at night and in the past month they've ranged between 0.3 to 1.9, so I'm probably in cyclical nutritional ketosis.

Alapp1212

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My PA said if I ate any less than 90g a day it would affect my brain function. Any thoughts?

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Sally .. what do you mean

OK, a pathetic attempt at wit. I was calling into question your PA's brain function, most unfair of me. The brain does not need carbs to function, this is a myth, indeed many diabetics (and others) report that "brain fog" lifts and they are alive again and thinking clearly, when they reduce carbs to very low levels. If I had the time, I could give you references, but for now it will have to be anecdotal. My husband became a new man, wide awake, bright and capable, back to his old self, of years gone by, when his carbs were reduced to around 30g per day.
Sally

Reactions: 10 people

Alapp1212

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought that's what you were talking about. I'll lower my carbs and see how things go. Thank you!