Blood meters and strips

Alan22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude people
Hi all,

Has anyone got any information on where I can get a blood meter and strips so I can test my blood?

All information is welcomed

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most DIY testers on the forum use the Codefree brand meters because of the much lower price of their test strips. Have a look on eBay and Amazon, and also have a search on the forum as sometimes there's posts quoting special offer voucher codes for bulk purchase of test strip packs for this too.

Robbity

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There's a link somewhere on here about filling in a form for Beyer - I did it a week or so ago and today a Beyer Contour Next USB meter arrived

It looks a cool bit of kit and as its USB it appears to log everything so it can be viewed graphically on the PC ( or sent as email or saved ..... dunno about exporting it to other programs yet, ie Excel)

Comes in a decent little wallet with a pricker thing - test strips seem to be OK on price from Amazon & eBay

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a Contour Next (not the USB one though) and the cut prices for the packs of 50 strips on eBay are generally double that of the Codefree strips. It really depends on how much you are happy/willing/can afford to pay for the strips though - it currently costs me around £70 odd a month .

If you meter is anything like mine you should be able to to do quite a lot of analyses of your readings on it: I can set targets, log several hundred individual readings, and view weekly, fortnightly, monthly and 3 monthly trends. But you can also register with Bayer and download their Glucofacts software for use on a PC. This will give all sorts of extra data and graphs and statistics as well from the uploads from your meter, which you can also print out, and you can download the readings in CVS format (and I think other formats too) for Excel, etc if needs be.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a Contour Next (not the USB one though) and the cut prices for the packs of 50 strips on eBay are generally double that of the Codefree strips. It really depends on how much you are happy/willing/can afford to pay for the strips though - it currently costs me around £70 odd a month .

If you meter is anything like mine you should be able to to do quite a lot of analyses of your readings on it: I can set targets, log several hundred individual readings, and view weekly, fortnightly, monthly and 3 monthly trends. But you can also register with Bayer and download their Glucofacts software for use on a PC. This will give all sorts of extra data and graphs and statistics as well from the uploads from your meter, which you can also print out, and you can download the readings in CVS format (and I think other formats too) for Excel, etc if needs be.

Robbity

Robbity, the Contour Next USB comes with the Glucofacts software on it - when you insert it into a PC its instantly available (it runs off Java platform)

Seems a very well designed meter and I like the multiple-testing (x7 I understand) from each blood sample to ensure accuracy

Thanks for answering my query about exporting CSV - good to know :)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought an Accu-chek Nano and buy the strips off of e-bay for about £12.00 for 50. Once you've registered it you can order two free batteries and calibrating fluids every three months. It does do lots of data collecting etc but I'm too lazy and just use it for testing my BS!

Alan22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude people
Hi thanks for the info every one much appreciated