Kidneys repeat Uti's any tips

warder100

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep getting Kidney infections and my levels are going through the roof shock this morning it was 17.5, I get the usual here is more antibiotics and back it comes. Any tips as to get the docs attention I need more help. I recently on insulin slow release?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, welcome to the forum :) You don't say how long you have been diabetic so I'll tag @daisy1 and she will be along with lots of general info for you. Even if you have been diabetic for a while there may be something of interest to you.

As far as kidney infections are concerned I am not the best person to answer you because I have never had one. I am type 2. I would say though that any infection can raise the BG's and a kidney infection would probably raise them even more because the kidneys can't do their work of getting rid of the glucose properly. What is your BG control like normally and are you on any other medication?

Do you follow a low/reduced carbs diet already? I would think that a low carb/ normal protein diet would help the kidneys because they wouldn't have so much glucose to filter. You may need to reduce your insulin levels later on if you substantially cut carbs though. If that's a problem ask here and I'm sure some insulin users will come along to help you and of course your HCP's can advise on changing the insulin dosage.. Also drinking plenty of water would help too.

Sorry, as I said I have never been through this myself and I am not medically trained. I hope someone more knowledgeable comes along to help you soon. :)

edit: I meant to say you could ask your GP if he/she could refer you to a consultant now as these constant recurrences are getting you down. I generally find once you get to see a consultant they listen to you more.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@warder100

Hello Ed and welcome to the forum

I see from your profile that you are not new to the forum but perhaps this information for new members could be helpful to you if you have not already seen it. I'm glad to see that Zand has been able to give you some advice and hopefully there will be more from other members. Ask more questions if you need to and someone will be able to help who has experience of this.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 130,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bumping your post so that hopefully you will get more replies.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another bump!

Like zand, all I can say is that recurring infections can be a sign of too high blood glucose levels.

But it can also be a sign of a compromised immune system - maybe diet, stress, or a chronic underlying infection.

Have you had any tests to check how your kidneys are?

warder100

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for the information, I am glad I am looking in the right direction diet wise.

I have been type 2 for nearly ten years and 6 months ago I went onto insulin a slow release dose at night, I have since looked at the the information available and have changed it to the morning.

It seems to have done the trick I am more alert during the day and feel a lot better in my self as a whole. I am bucking the trend as GPS tend to say inject at night but if it works it works. There is a history of kidney problems in my family so might be a factor but the levels are coming down again yippee.

Once more thank you for the advice

Ed