Spike Query

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading through old threads I've discovered that spikes below 2 & preferably below 1.5 at 2 hours are considered good control but I was wondering whether it's safe to have a higher spike at 2 hours if you started out low. I recorded a pre-dinner reading of 3 the other night & a 2 hour reading of 5.4 - can anyone tell me if that spike is dangerous given that the 5.4 itself is considered safe?

Thanks

Safi

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Normal blood glucose levels are between 4-6mmols.
That post prandial reading is around the normal blood glucose level.
That's fine.
The low reading is fine as well, but if you consistently get low levels do talk to your doctor.
How long was it before your reading that you had anything to eat or drink? Are you on meds?

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Normal blood glucose levels are between 4-6mmols.
That post prandial reading is around the normal blood glucose level.
That's fine.
The low reading is fine as well, but if you consistently get low levels do talk to your doctor.
How long was it before your reading that you had anything to eat or drink? Are you on meds?

Thanks for the quick reply :)

I'm not on any meds as I'm only pre-diabetic and all of my numbers are falling well within range except for my pre-dinner ones which average about 3.5. I do tend to go about 6 to 6 1/2 hour between lunch & dinner so have been trialing late afternoon snacks but without much luck so far. Any snack food/snack timing suggestions?

safi

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for the quick reply :)

I'm not on any meds as I'm only pre-diabetic and all of my numbers are falling well within range except for my pre-dinner ones which average about 3.5. I do tend to go about 6 to 6 1/2 hour between lunch & dinner so have been trialing late afternoon snacks but without much luck so far. Any snack food/snack timing suggestions?

safi
There are plenty of suggestions in the low carb forum! A few nuts or a couple of spoonfuls of yoghurt, a small Apple as long as it doesn't spike you!
Do you have any symptoms for your afternoon slump?

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are plenty of suggestions in the low carb forum! A few nuts or a couple of spoonfuls of yoghurt, a small Apple as long as it doesn't spike you!
Do you have any symptoms for your afternoon slump?

Don't seem to have any serious symptoms - I get a bit hungry but I expect most people do before dinner :)

Have tried the nuts/cheese combo which worked one day but not the next :confused: so I might try some yogurt/blueberries & see if that does the trick. Will have a good look at the low carb forum too.

Thanks nosher8355

safi