3 Year old diagnosed in January 2015

twinklystar

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone,
My little boy was diagnosed in January after going into hospital as DKA which was very scary to say the least! After a few days in HDU we took him home and he's now on basal/bolus injections, we inject him 4 times a day. We all found it very hard and I felt guilty for not noticing the signs (before DKA).
We've been having lots of problems with his nursery and his personality seems to have changed a bit, but I don't know if that's me imagining it or not. He has taken everything in his stride and seems to accept the blood sugar tests and the injections, however he still doesn't understand he can't have certain things to eat whenever he wants.
I was hoping to find similar people to myself who understand because I don't know anyone else who has a child with type 1 diabetes.

C

catherinecherub

I will bump your post up @twinklystar.

Plenty of parents on the site who can help and many Type1s who were diagnosed at a young age.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum, I know it's not a forum you would want to visit, regarding your small child. Hopefully some other parents will be along in due course to help you out with support and a shoulder too.
I have granddaughter who was diagnosed at 2 1/2 and I felt guilty too, it broke my heart. But she is 6 now and a healthy and a happy little girl.
Take care and wishing you all the best for a bright and positive future.

Good luck and best wishes RRB :)

twinklystar

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou to both of you :)
Diabetes isn't something I thought my son would have to deal with. From what I've read so far the people on this forum seem very helpful, hoping to pick up some useful tips etc.

Stacey

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my daughter of 2 years old was also diagnosed 2 days after Xmas. I know how you feel. My daughter still has not been back to nursery, planning for after Easter as she was so traumatised by the whole event of diagnosis that she was also quite unsettled. The nursery staff also informed me of scarlet fever and pox going round so I was playing it safe this early in the game although the longer I leave it the more anxiety I feel. It's such a huge life change for them and they tell you this on there own way, my little girl was feeling quite ratty for a little while and then all of a sudden recently she came on leaps and bounds more than ever. I think the high glucose made her feel quite rubbish sometimes and then throw in a few normal glucose reading of 4/5/6 mmol and her body probly wondered what the hell was going on all of a sudden, she was getting symptoms of hypoglymia at 4 or 5 mmol to begin with. It's hard with not having what ever they want and my little girl was ridiculously hungry for a while but it soon calmed down. I have found the best way for my little one was to snack often to curb the craving for carbs but chhosing low carb snacks of nuts, cheese, cold meats, few carrot sticks, cucumber and still allowing a 5g slow carb snack allowance. Routine has been key for food timing and curbing appetite cravings. You will find what works for you. Xx