Sugar free drinks

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
a reply for the "oldies" -- be thankful you don't have to drink TAB ( sugar free cola drink) -- this was the only sugar free drink other than water in the early mid 70's-- i am thankful there are alternatives now -- No i know not as many as should be but at least a choice :)

Reactions: 3 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I drink stupidly hight amounts of Pepsi Max, we're talking multiple litres per day...And oddly enough virtually the only health problems I *DON'T* have are the ones linked to consuming aspartame lol =)

Let's hope it continues that way, but I wouldn't take the risk...

C

chris lowe

a reply for the "oldies" -- be thankful you don't have to drink TAB ( sugar free cola drink) -- this was the only sugar free drink other than water in the early mid 70's-- i am thankful there are alternatives now -- No i know not as many as should be but at least a choice :)
TAB - that's a blast from the past. I'd forgotten all about that

Reactions: 5 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
that was about 1977 -- much later than TAB about 1973
although the memory fades...................................

paul_87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
chewing gum
i used to drink alot of diet coke being sugar free, but sugar free carbonated drinks are still not a good idea for diabetics. Being Type 1 myself, Ive experienced my share of weight ups and downs. The carbonated sugar free drinks still caused me to bloat and feel over weight. Once i knocked them on the head and just drank water and occasional no added sugar squash every now and then, i actually looked and felt allot better. :)

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I happen to know my local landlord pretty well (from the days when I used to drink a bit more) and i challenged him to swap on a trial basis from full sugar schweppes to diet and bet him that nobody would notice the difference he had one or two comments only and told the customers that he was only thinking of their health, now he stocks mainly diet with a small amount of full sugar for the awkward people why not try it it worked for me

Not telling the cutomers it was diet schweppes is terrible, that's forcing people to drink aspartame when a lot of people refuse to touch it. People have a right to know what they're buying!

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Does anyone know if you can get diet Lomonade in Greece? Or lime cordial ?

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This has been a gripe of mine since diagnosis 15 years ago and nothing seems to have changed in the slightest since then. It's not often I buy fizzy drinks...but although I do enjoy the occasional diet coke...I get frustrated that the options are so limited. The variety is definitely in the supermarkets...but most petrol stations and convenience stores still only offer the bare minimum...I wonder if this is because they don't sell so well.

Most pubs are quite accommodating I find, certainly my local will always have a stash of slim line tonic in the back for me...and quite often in the summer if they're doing a BBQ they will also get a few bottles of diet lemonade in for the Pimms...but I can imagine that unless you're a regular visitor that not many pubs would be prepared to do this.

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I live in the US, but sometimes I stash a few Crystal Light PURE powder packets in my purse and just add them to my water at the table. They come in lemonade, pink lemonade, and mixed berry. The CL PURE packets are sweetened with zevia, not aspartame.
If you are looking for something fizzy, I like the La Croix sparkling flavored waters too. It is more of a challenge to slip one of those cans in my purse, but doable.

Sumobabe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the US, many elderly diners order a glass of water with extra lemon, then add sugar to make their own lemonade. In a pinch, you might be able to do the same with an artificial sweetener.

Keturah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I recently went to Five Guys in Manchester Trident centre and they had nearly 50 different diet drinks! And it was free refills, so I tried as many as I could and spent the next 3 hours peeing every 10 minutes. Yea so needless to say I don think I've ever been so excited in my life (sad I know).

And then I went to ikea not long ago, and got a meal and drink, and when I went to get a drink, there was only sugared and 'light', so I went and asked what was sugar free, and they told me there was a water fountain around the corner! Yea. I was a bit hormonal and basically just bust out crying in front of everyone. Haha. "/

Reactions: 6 people

mattzuma

Shortage of sugar free drinks is down to supply and demand. It's obvious when you look at the obesity problems, people want sugar.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't get how pubs don't offer more sugar free. I.e only diet Pepsi or coke why not zero things. Like I do like when having a drink a spirit and diet lemonade but that's at home as it sucks in pubs for diet plus I get a right look when I ask for diet

frankman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally, I don't understand why anyone should desire a sugar free drink? The cheapest and healthiest is surely a glass of water.

And I don't get it with sweeteners either, absolutely hate them. My father who passed away 3 years ago with diabetes, continuously drank coffee or tea with sweeteners, and would drink gallons of diet coke! So I'm not going to follow his example.

Frank.

frankman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Fayefaye1429, I like the U.S. but I'm in Blighty.

Frank.