Avocados - unclear on carb content

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an avocado that needs to be eaten but looking at different sites there seems to be wide disagreement on the carb content/100g; from as little as around 1.9g to as much as 10g. I have a feeling the high figures include the fibre mass, which won't get converted into blood sugar, but if it's starch then that probably will - can anyone clear this up?

lizzi51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My Carbs and Cals book shows an avocado, with stone removed, weighing 150g and says it has 3g of carbs and 287 calories. I hope that's right, because I've just eaten one!

Reactions: 4 people

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
So, am I right in thinking that you can deduct the grams of fibre from the total carb grams when measuring carbs? If so, fantastic :happy:

Reactions: 2 people

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think in the UK nutritional info is carbs excluding fibre as fibre is listed separately, American sites however you need to subtract the fibre yourself which is why you can get 2 completely different carb counts for the same item

Sumobabe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, am I right in thinking that you can deduct the grams of fibre from the total carb grams when measuring carbs? If so, fantastic :happy:

Deducting the grams of fibre from the total carb grams gives you the amount of net carbs, but when it comes to counting your carbs, some people do OK just looking at net carbs, while others have to look at total carbs. The only way to know which works best for you is to try it and see. Same thing with the sugar alcohol artificial sweeteners: some folks find they do fine if they don't count those carbs, while others have problems if they don't include them in their overall count.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 people