Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Everyone

Hoping someone can help, I have been low carbing for a month now and have seen dramatic improvements in my blood sugars. I have lost over a stone in weight so all things good. Is it normal to have ketones?? is this ok when your blood sugars are really stable?

Thanks I am still new to this and I thought Ketones were harmful for type 1 diabetics???

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jilly

This explains it pretty well, I too struggled to get my head round this but this will help make sense of it.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/ketosis.html

I've unfortunately experienced a bout of ketoacidosis...it's not at all pleasant but if you are keeping your BS in range you should be absolutely fine. Good luck...glad it's going well for you.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When you low carb, your body burns fats, which generates ketones. The state is known as Nutritional Ketosis and is perfectly normal. Ketone levels up to 4mmol/l are considered to be standard.

Diabetic KetoAcidosis (DKA) is the problematic form, when your blood ketone levels become too high and your blood consistency changes to become acidic. This is very dangerous and usually accompanied by high blood glucose levels.

As you are on an LCHF diet and assuming your blood glucose levels are normal, there should be nothing to worry about.

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ask your Dr, but as tim said... most T1's with normal BG, LCHF and some dietary ketones would be happy
upload_2015-3-25_22-22-30.png

Reactions: 8 people

Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thanks so much for the reply. I am on LCHF so its working then!!!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As long as you have insulin active in your blood, the insulin clears the ketone products out of your blood and there is no buildup of ketoacidosis. If there is not enough insulin in your blood, your BG will go high. This is why the NHS tell us not to worry about ketones unless we have high BG (they say over 13).

Sumobabe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When you're in nutritional ketosis, higher levels of ketones in the blood can also indicate dehydration. Make sure you're drinking plenty of liquid.