Liver function

Deskdoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Does anyone know if a LCHF diet has any affect on liver function?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. LCHF helped my liver immensely. It's the carbs that put the liver count up, not the fat. My alt liver test went from around 160 at its worst to 40 after following LCHF for a few years. Unfortunately I don't know how quickly this happened as I didn't have a test in between these readings.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Does anyone know if a LCHF diet has any affect on liver function?
Hi I had suffered a high liver function for nearly 15 years. I had also a fatty liver and also on the way to a non alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver.
After nearly two years of having to low carb, all my readings are back to normal. The docs are really pleased with me.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For those of us with a fatty liver, then it will probably (definitely?) be affecting the liver's functions. And there are hundreds of functions. Many more than we are familiar with through diabetes.

The Newcastle Diet has shown that it is very successful at de-fatifying the liver, which has got to be good, hasn't it?
But normal, slower, weight loss will have the same effect, it will just take longer for that effect to show.

I am obese, and I have no idea whether I have ever had a fatty liver or not, but after a few years of low carb, and over a year on very low carb, I don't have a fatty liver now.

Deskdoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
About five years ago I developed Autoimmune hepatitis which was brought under control with a combination of immunosuppressants and steriods. Now everything seems to have happened at the same time, as my hepatitis is under control the medication has been withdrawn, I have developed steriod induced T2 and was prescribed Metformin by my DN and I have changed my diet to LCHF. My last blood test, Monday just gone, showed an abnormality in my liver readings and I have been told to stop taking the Metformin.
As I'm not due to see my liver consultant until May I was trying to work out which change may have caused the spike in my liver function results. o_O

Thanks for your responses, it doesn't sound like the diet change, which is good, as I have about 20lbs to lose.

DD

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
as has been said, LCHF is a treatment for fatty liver

this will take you through your blood test
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BFRi-nH1v8

upload_2015-3-27_12-13-7.png