Is this a meter fault or a me fault ...

dvd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi .. just taken my fasting blood sugar and it was 6.1.. directly and within seconds i retested and it was 5.2 ...anyone any ideas ..thanks

Moniker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sometimes your meter will give a strange reading. Most people will test again and take the middle reading, or if two agree take those. Meters are not 100% accurate so don't worry too much about any one reading. Look for trends.

Nicola_F

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Insulin
Other things could be contamination on fingers possibly, or chznge needle but as said above meters can give false readings from time to time if you have foubts about reafing, judt wash hands and redo

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do think it's odd that meters aren't very accurate, when you think how much time and effort we put into using them and acting on their 'results'. As for retesting to check, yes, in an ideal world. But doing three tests to check one result doesn't bode well for GP practice budgets or their patients trying to economise, but I suppose the pharma companies are happy for us to continue feeding their sub-standard meters with test-strips! :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Its accepted. If you are falling in normal ranges it doesn't really matter hugely to be honest. You just have to accept the meter that you think most accurately measures.

Two ways of checking this out:
Somewhere on internet there is a list of the average testing data for machines.

Me, i just do a test at the same time as they take blood out of my arm and compare the fasting glucose to my meter when I get results back from GP.

i have a new pump with a built in meter. The differences on this are minimal when I'm not wound up... I'm wound up at moment and last night I did a comparison.. One odd tester By the same manufacturer said 6.8 (acceptable pre bed) my pump meter said 9.3. I believed the 1st meter and did not give myself a correction dose of insulin. I was right. This morn being less anxious sort of I did a test and both within 0.5 and normal range....

I think it also depends on the blood used. Whether it is direct from pricking finger immediately or whether it is the same blood but the 2nd or 3rd drop from finger.

Its not worth worrying about unless you have instances like me that you need to check (currently) before giving yourself acorrection dose of insulin.

I don't normally do this but because of being so wound up I had to.