odd results

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The other night I ate chilli and cauliflower rice and drank 1pint of low carb beer, 2hrs later I recorded a spike of 4.4. Last night I had salmon, mixed bean salad, coleslaw sweetcorn and a few oven chips. I drank 1pint of low carb beer again, tested 2hrs later and no spike at all! Now I am perfectly willing to be corrected, but surely last nights meal contained more carbs than the chilli?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sod the food, low carb beer?????

After two hours you should be returning to your normal levels wether they are high or not, if you want to record a spike, it's either half hour and an hour not two!

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I didn`t mean a reading of 4.4, it was 8 before eating and 12.4 two hours after. Sorry, I didn`t explain that too well.

Ok, that's too much. You need to ditch the carbs that are spiking you. The target is under two mmols after two hours.
The only way is by experimenting till you see a pattern, and keep recording, so you can show your dsn.

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sod the food, low carb beer?????

After two hours you should be returning to your normal levels wether they are high or not, if you want to record a spike, it's either half hour and an hour not two!
Yep, low carb beer, 1.6g carbs per 275ml

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, that's too much. You need to ditch the carbs that are spiking you. The target is under two mmols after two hours.
The only way is by experimenting till you see a pattern, and keep recording, so you can show your dsn.
I know that I need to ditch the carbs that are spiking me and that`s what puzzles me, I would have thought that the second meal would be higher in carbs than the first.

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Give us a clue! I ain't begging!
Where from?
Marstons resolution low c. I wrote about it in another thread a couple of weeks ago, love the stuff mate! It depends on where you live but marstons, banks`s Jennings and Ringwood are all part of the same brewery now and so all supply it. I think you can also buy online from someone called classicales. Happy hunting!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I know that I need to ditch the carbs that are spiking me and that`s what puzzles me, I would have thought that the second meal would be higher in carbs than the first.

That's the odd thing and why we should all be treated as individuals and that's why we advise to eat to your meter.. The food that spikes me, doesn't affect you!

Also it's how much you eat, and if you have a balance of more fat and less carbs, more protein and no sugars in your food, will give you better readings.
Smaller plate sizes are just as important as the low carbing is!

Hope that doesn't confuse that low carb beer addled brain of yours! ;)

Next you'll be saying chip butties or the like!!!!!:banghead:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Marstons resolution low c. I wrote about it in another thread a couple of weeks ago, love the stuff mate! It depends on where you live but marstons, banks`s Jennings and Ringwood are all part of the same brewery now and so all supply it. I think you can also buy online from someone called classicales. Happy hunting!
Isn't that the Midlands, where the breweries are? will have to hunt it down for Christmas and special.occasions. cheers mate!

I remember one of the brummie teams were sponsored by them, have quaffed a few on my travelling to games in the past

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's the odd thing and why we should all be treated as individuals and that's why we advise to eat to your meter.. The food that spikes me, doesn't affect you!

Also it's how much you eat, and if you have a balance of more fat and less carbs, more protein and no sugars in your food, will give you better readings.
Smaller plate sizes are just as important as the low carbing is!

Hope that doesn't confuse that low carb beer addled brain of yours! ;)

Next you'll be saying chip butties or the like!!!!!:banghead:
Don`t tell me theres a problem with chip butties ***!!!

Reactions: 7 people

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Isn't that the Midlands, where the breweries are? will have to hunt it down for Christmas and special.occasions. cheers mate!

I remember one of the brummie teams were sponsored by them, have quaffed a few on my travelling to games in the past
Marstons is Burton on Trent, Banks`s is Wolverhampton, Jennings is cockermouth and Ringwood is Hampshire.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I remember now yes! Jennings in Cockermouth, that got flooded in the winter a year gone.
Will deformed have a look, but for special occasions.

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Okay, so last night I repeated the chilli meal EXACTLY and I had a before reading of 6.3, and 2hours later 7.7 and that was with the same food, same drink and same exercise. Weird.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Did you exercise after the meal before testing? Was it strenuous or a walk?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Okay, so last night I repeated the chilli meal EXACTLY and I had a before reading of 6.3, and 2hours later 7.7 and that was with the same food, same drink and same exercise. Weird.

Hi chri5, you say your reading was 8 before eating. Bg meters work by giving an indication of your current bg levels but are not 100% accurate in fact they work to within a + or - 20% so if you had a reading of 8 mmol/L it could theoretically be anywhere from 6.4 and 9.6 and even taking two tests back to back using the same blood sample you are unlikely to get the same reading.

There could also be 100 other factors involved here from you having a slight temperature to you having a hot or cold bath/shower, lots of things can affect your readings. So dont worry about an odd reading here and there, they are to be expected as home meters only give an indication of your curent bg levels. You only really need to be concerned with an overall pattern over several weeks or months which is why an HbA1c test is so important as it gives an accurate reading over the last 3 months (ish).

Wikipedia said:
Accuracy of glucose meters is a common topic of clinical concern. Blood glucose meters must meet accuracy standards set by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). According to ISO 15197 Blood glucose meters must provide results that are within 20% of a laboratory standard 95% of the time (for concentrations about 75 mg/dL, absolute levels are used for lower concentrations). However, a variety of factors can affect the accuracy of a test. Factors affecting accuracy of various meters include calibration of meter, ambient temperature, pressure use to wipe off strip (if applicable), size and quality of blood sample, high levels of certain substances (such as ascorbic acid) in blood, hematocrit, dirt on meter, humidity, and aging of test strips. Models vary in their susceptibility to these factors and in their ability to prevent or warn of inaccurate results with error messages. The Clarke Error Grid has been a common way of analyzing and displaying accuracy of readings related to management consequences. More recently an improved version of the Clarke Error Grid has come into use: It is known as the Consensus Error Grid. Older blood glucose meters often need to be "coded" with the lot of test strips used, otherwise, the accuracy of the blood glucose meter may be compromised due to lack of calibration.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose_meter

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi chri5, you say your reading was 8 before eating. Bg meters work by giving an indication of your current bg levels but are not 100% accurate in fact they work to within a + or - 20% so if you had a reading of 8 mmol/L it could theoretically be anywhere from 6.4 and 9.6 and even taking two tests back to back using the same blood sample you are unlikely to get the same reading.

There could also be 100 other factors involved here from you having a slight temperature to you having a hot or cold bath/shower, lots of things can affect your readings. So dont worry about an odd reading here and there, they are to be expected as home meters only give an indication of your curent bg levels. You only really need to be concerned with an overall pattern over several weeks or months which is why an HbA1c test is so important as it gives an accurate reading over the last 3 months (ish).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose_meter
Thank you Sid, that explains quite a lot actually. There have been times when I have stressed about odd high readings and my missus has threatened to chuck the meter out! ( that`s usually my method of dealing with recalcitrant technology).

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you exercise after the meal before testing? Was it strenuous or a walk?
Yes I did, one mile on the exercise bike and some resistance band exercises exactly the same routine one hour after eating.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes I did, one mile on the exercise bike and some resistance band exercises exactly the same routine one hour after eating.
That will affect the readings as well.