Low carb and hypo treatment

walshdon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Please can you help me, I want to know what are your hypo treatments when on a low carb diet.

iHs

Jellybabies and maybe a carb snack in order to make bg levels restore to normalilty. Its no different :)

Reactions: 6 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am not low carbing, but I would also assume that treating a hypo would be no different............as it can be classed as a medical emergency...........;)....

your always looking to treat a low with 15-20g of quickly absorbed carbs.............this is the same advice for everyone generally..........I prefer to drink 250ml of isotonic sports juice.............get the right amount in and quickly and only works out at 70 calories..........:)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Doesn't matter what type of diet you follow, treating a hypo with fast-acting glucose is paramount.

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
I use the same approach, I recall a 15 to 15 approach somewhere (15g carbs - lucozade/glucose, test in 15 mins, take a further 15g if required and so on), you may get away with less, say 10g but with hypos I try not to take any risks.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have come to the conclusion as in dieting low carb, that everyone is different. many on this thread have already given the correct method of treating a medically emergency hypo.

For me though I have to be more careful and I find that 1or2 plain biscuits with a cup of tea, no milk, no sugar gradually returns your BSLs back to normal levels (4-6mmols).

If you hypo with meds, treat and refer to your GP about dosage and use.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
it's basically the same, except, if possible, you want to manage the hypo with as few carbs as possible to avoid coming out of ketosis. But safety is paramount of course.

But then this is true for any hypo. You want to manage it with the minimum amount of carbs, to avoid going too high, avoid rebounds and cycles of rebounds.

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, you don't say whether you are type 1 or 2, and whether on insulin, or not.

As a type 2 (not on meds) I trust my liver to push glucose into the bloodstream and bring my level back up.

I'm still going to be craving carbs with a vengeance, and feel absolutely dreadful, but it will sort itself out.
And by the time I even notice it is happening, my body will have already stepped in to correct things.

In which case, if I stuff quick release carbs, my BG will rise sharply and too high, my poor pancreas will flog itself to produce insulin, which causes my BG to drop, and I risk another hypo. It is like a lift, shooting from the bottom to the top floors, then falling back down again.

In my experience (remember, type 2, no meds) it is MUCH better to eat a small amount of carbs, a good chunk of protein, and some fat. Nuts. A 9bar. Followed by a good big meal like a fry up, a steak, a good rich meal with veg.

The result is a quick, sharp, small rise from the carbs, followed by a lovely, steady curve as the meal is digested.

No dreadful seesaw jangly after effects.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 1 and only recently started low carbing...I'm just this second coming round from a very serious hypo at 1.5...probably my lowest yet and finding it extremely hard to get myself straight again...are hypos worse on low carb?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm type 1 and only recently started low carbing...I'm just this second coming round from a very serious hypo at 1.5...probably my lowest yet and finding it extremely hard to get myself straight again...are hypos worse on low carb?
you might find it easier to reduce your carbs and insulin more slowly..did you start with the 'overnight and 'miss a meal' basal checks?
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=120
http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with Jack. In fact I may take his advice myself as I'm just coming out of a low carb hypo now too.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

At 1.5mmol the hypo will be same no matter what diet you follow, that's an extremely low bg level Natalie, did you not feel it coming on before you got to that level?

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did and I didn't...I was doing some full on cleaning...my dog had been quite ill and had all kinds of nastiness to deal with so was on a bit of a mission...felt it coming but was determined to finish up before I dealt with it...crazy I know but sure we've all done it. By the time I checked I was seriously low...normally I have quite good awareness but surprised it got quite so low

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Once you get into low carbing and reduce your insulin it should become easier to manage with less hypos theoretically! Rule of small numbers and all that.... ie the less you spike and the less insulin you have on board, the smaller the margin of error/absorption issues and the flatter your "graph" if you were using a CGM or Libre to see what's what. Hope you sort it out, it seems to have increased my insulin resistance and my ratios are worse than ever but hey ho, I am not having any hypo issues at all. I also take a conservative approach to injecting and just correct 2 or 3 hours later if it is a bit high for my liking. Wish I had a pump!

Ali

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really wish I did have a CGM...even as a loan for a couple of months to get a good gauge on how things work...but alas no...I shall keep trying though.

I've been quite careful on the corrections too...and taking a similar approach as you Ali H and allowing a couple of hours after meals to correct and then only 1-2u at a time, it seems to be the protein that spikes me but hoping I will soon see just how badly this affects me and will be able to inject before I get too high...just need to up my confidence with it all first because I wish to avoid the hypo's especially when they're like that last one...which wiped me out for the whole day...hypo headache the works..not nice

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I really wish I did have a CGM...even as a loan for a couple of months to get a good gauge on how things work...but alas no...I shall keep trying though.

Your hospital clinic should be able to loan you one, trouble is they only do so for a week and the waiting times can be long.

As for your answer before, always treat the hypo once you feel the symptoms of it, otherwise you may get caught out one day or begin to lose your hypo awareness symptoms should you have frequent episodes.