what cereals can i eat and can i have a cooked brekkie occassionaly

gunners71uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i have sugar free alpen and weetabix what else can i have i like a good fry up too not often though as that dont help weight but if its too grim then you get tempted to binge any info helpful

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a good fry up And forget the cereals, breads pasta rice potato....easy fixed lchf

Reactions: 8 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
You should be testing, I cant eat Alpen or Weetabix, very high in carbs. I have bacon and eggs every day. Its the carbs not the fat that are the culprit.

Reactions: 2 people

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a type 2 and I've given up on Cereals too, Plain Yoghurt/Fromage Frais with some Berries, Eggs or a cooked brekkie when I've got the time work better for me BG's I do miss my porridge though. Maybe I'll try some Oatmeal once we start heading towards winter

marghearn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i have sugar free alpen and weetabix what else can i have i like a good fry up too not often though as that dont help weight but if its too grim then you get tempted to binge any info helpful
Look for old fashioned Puffed Wheat try Asda

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon and eggs every day. Low carb diet maintaining my weight ok.

No cereals as too high carbs.

I add a sprinkle of Jordans Natural Wheat Bran for added fibre.

Reactions: 3 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Here's a good place to begin ... http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
I can't eat any breakfast cereal and find Weetabix one of the worse!
Not as the NHS says one of the best but we're all different.
I have porridge most mornings but only with a tablespoon of coconut oil in it otherwise it would spike me ... fine with the oil in it and oats have lots of health benefits including lowering cholesterol.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Food Item: Cereals, wheat, puffed, fortified
Food Quantity: 1 cup
Carbs: 9.6g
Dietary Fiber: 0.5g
Net Carbs: 9.1g

Puffed Wheat, Diet & Weight Loss
Although many cereals have vitamins added, many cereal-brands typically contain refined carbohydrates. These refined carbs are digested quite fast and may contribute to spikes in blood sugar levels, causing appetite swings and food cravings. The negative effects of these "refined carbs" are one reason why so many obesity patients are turning to low carb diets for improved health and weight control. (A low carb weight loss plan is a ketogenic type diet which puts the body into ketosis, and burns fat by a process known as gluconeogenesis.)

For more details about carbs in cereal, see below.

Puffed Wheat, Blood Glucose, Glycemic Index

With the exception of bran-based and wholegrain cereal, most breakfast cereals (like Puffed Wheat) are typically quite high on the glycemic index. Which means they raise blood glucose levels quite fast. The health risks of high glycemic food - when eaten to excess over time - include a higher risk of Hyperinsulimia, and Insulin Resistance, leading to Diabetes. Note also the twin phenomena: Diabesity & Metabolic Syndrome (also called Insulin Resistance Syndrome).

For best glucose metabolism and to reduce the risk of insulin resistance and obesity from refined carbs, increase your intake of wholegrain cereal (eg. oat-based brands) or any bran-type breakfast cereal.
http://www.carbs-information.com/cereal/carbs-puffed-wheat.htm

Chinthe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have Oatibix for breakfast most days, and allow myself a bacon and egg treat on Saturdays in a wholemeal bap. Works for me. I'm T2 for almost a year now and I have been told I am controllong my levels extremely well just by the changes I have made to my diet. I have an occasional 4 squares of Bournville chocolate and eat a few peanuts most days.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I have Oatibix for breakfast most days, and allow myself a bacon and egg treat on Saturdays in a wholemeal bap. Works for me. I'm T2 for almost a year now and I have been told I am controllong my levels extremely well just by the changes I have made to my diet. I have an occasional 4 squares of Bournville chocolate and eat a few peanuts most days.
We're all different but I like most others I've come across on here can't handle breakfast cereals.
I can do porridge so long as I put in a tablespoon full of coconut oil.
What kind of readings are you getting on what kind of diet?

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Have a look at the carb content on the side of any cereal pack, its ridiculous how many carbs are in cereal, unfortunately you have to avoid them. fry ups are good without the bread. i know it sucks but thats the way it is. keep testing your bg and see what suits you.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Fry ups are great ... every morning if you're that way inclined.
I can even get away with a piece of fried bread but not toast.
I have to swap the beans for toms.

wizardo

Easy. skip the cereals, they are often loaded with sugar. Fry ups are the way to go, ham/bacon, fried eggs, banger, tomato, mushrooms. One small fried spud maybe. Lasts me pretty well all day. If you fancy chocy, Aldi's 85% dark, half a square.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Watch sausages though as some are full of starchy filler - look for 90-95% meat ones.

Robbity

Reactions: 5 people

frankman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello friends,

it's just as well that we're all different! Most mornings I have Weetabix, as far as I know, I have no problems.

Cooked breakfasts, I usually have them at lunch-time when I occasionally go to town, and I usually try to ensure a small or medium sized plate. I dislike fried bread and hate black pudding.

Frank.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hello friends,

it's just as well that we're all different! Most mornings I have Weetabix, as far as I know, I have no problems.

Cooked breakfasts, I usually have them at lunch-time when I occasionally go to town, and I usually try to ensure a small or medium sized plate. I dislike fried bread and hate black pudding.

Frank.
Hi Frankman

Could you clarify what you mean by "as far as I know"? Thank you.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Avoid all cereals and have a cooked breakfast every day. With no toast or fried bread.

frankman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Avocado Sevenfold, most certainly I will. I have had Weetabix for breakfast for donkeys years, and I have had no reaction to it. I have 3 every day. Of course my diabetic nurse would like me to eat just 2 - but that wouldn't do, would it. Before I was diagnosed I would eat 4 every morning, because when I was self-employed I needed as much as I could get, to last all morning.

Some posters here mention sugar-free foods. Is this a good idea? If you fancy eating something, just eat the normal variant. Same with "diabetic" foods, I don't touch them. Simples. By the way, I was in a family business in the grocery trade, and still do so on a part-time basis.

Frank.