Work dinners rant

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
Just wanted to get the following off of my chest!!! :)

Occasionally, I have to go to dinners with clients. Tonight is one such occasion and I am reviewing the menu (it is a set menu) as usual.

And I bloody hate it. (Not the menu, the food looks tasty). Firstly, that there is a set menu - it is SO much easier to make appropriate choices if I am able to choose from the main menu. Secondly, there is nothing, NOTHING on this menu that I think I can eat without venturing into the realms of seriously complex mathematics. I mean, I need to be Einstein to work out how to bolus for this!!

I want to appear as "normal" as possible, I hate to make a fuss and to draw attention to myself. But seriously, I can't work with this menu. I'm not sure what to do :(

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Publish the menu on here. It's not usually that hard to manage. We should be able to give you some advice.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That looks amazing! I'd love to be taken out for that for dinner. I'm not sure what the concern is? If you don't eat biryani or the accompanying rice, it's not a particularly high carb menu.

I'd work to an assumption that the whole meal is around 70g-100g of carbs.

First course is popadom and chat, so about 35g carbs if you have one popadom and the chat, the fish and main courses are reasonably carb free if you avoid the biryani and don't eat the accompanying rice, and then dessert will always cause a bit of an up.

I'd start off with a pre meal bolus for around 40g carbs and then check glucose levels at the fish/main interval before deciding what to bolus next.

If ever there was a case for sugar surfing, this is it.

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You have made me laugh @tim2000s... I have never heard of sugar surfing!
I am not sure of the portion sizes so it's difficult (for me at least) to guess my dose, will need to adjust for alcohol and I have bought an Atkins chocolate bar to have in my handbag to guard against the temptation to eat the dessert!
Ok, fine, bring it on.

In other news, I have just discovered coconut yoghurt! 0.5g carb per 100g!

Reactions: 2 people

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dammit. Now I feel ungrateful and whiny! :p

I am off to Whole Foods tomorrow, incidentally, so I shall explore more! I have no libre (though I have registered) and only ten (eight?) fingers to prick.

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid I'm going to have to insist on a report, preferably with pics.

That menu looks amazing.
From my type 2 perspective i would just fall face first into everything and sod the carbs.
But that is hardly helpful to you, is it?

Reactions: 5 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From my type 2 perspective i would just fall face first into everything and sod the carbs.
Me too. I'm past trying to be helpful on this one. I surrender. The last time I went to a good Indian restaurant I ate everything. I even ate Mrs D's pud after mine.
But I WILL be interested to hear what you eventually eat; I salute your courage, and wish you all the best.

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have been sabotaged it seems!.......... by the way, no cross referencing this rant with my other rant about failing to lose weight on my LCHF diet. :p

Reactions: 4 people

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Right. It was pretty good - I avoided the breads and rice and samosas but still enjoyed the courses and definitely did not feel deprived! Happily, I avoided the dessert, not deliberately but because I needed to catch my train home!
For those who like the stats. Before dinner was 7.8, after dinner, 10.9. No Novorapid before bed to correct as alcohol takes a little while to kick in so usual basal dose only. This morning, 10.2. So, higher than I like but pretty okay considering!
I did the whole sugar surfing thing which worked well under the circumstances as it was a LONG wait between courses!

EDIT, I meant to add that I gained a half kilo. And I also tripped in my heels and now my foot hurts so no running for me today... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Do you have any job openings coming up in time for the next outing ??:D

Reactions: 6 people

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I only get invited to these sorts of fancy things about once a year! This was an important account so merited something a bit special. Most often I take clients out for breakfast or brunch. Which is much easier to handle!

@himtoo, you don't need a job, just engage my company and I can take you out :p

Reactions: 8 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Pleased it went well Postinote and you had an enjoyable evening.

I find its always better to 'err on the side of caution' when eating out and unsure of the carb content of a meal, meaning better to underestimate the carb value and correct later in the evening than overestimate and go hypo and spoil your evening out.

Reactions: 4 people