How long before you saw BGs drop on LCHF?

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good afternoon all,

Apologies if this has been asked already, I did search but didn't find anything....

I was just curious as to how long after starting LCHF you saw BG's improve? For some months now my levels have been high constantly - up in the mid teens. I started LCHF and after a couple of weeks hadn't seen too much of an improvement in numbers - but I did feel better and my eyesight improved hugely. I then had a bad week and ate more carbs than desired but my levels stayed about the same... they didn't go up much at all. I'm now back on track and eating very few carbs but still my levels are staying high.

I've had a cold pretty much since Christmas so that may account for part of it, but I was wondering how you guys got on in the beginning?

Thanks in advance.

Sean

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I was just curious as to how long after starting LCHF you saw BG's improve? For some months now my levels have been high constantly - up in the mid teens.
I would have thought you'd start seeing results within a week or so.

I started LCHF and after a couple of weeks hadn't seen too much of an improvement in numbers - but I did feel better and my eyesight improved hugely.
That's interesting. The improved eyesight (I'm assuming that it was a case of the "blurrys" right) seems to suggest that something was happening with your average BSL despite the apparently unchanged readings. I guess it's possible that your levels were actually lower and some times throughout the day, but not measured. Perhaps just less spikes or something.

I've had a cold pretty much since Christmas so that may account for part of it, but I was wondering how you guys got on in the beginning?
Yeah being sick makes it hard. Before I had good BSL control I would get colds and sore throats at the drop of a hat. Having better BSL control has improved this tremendously. Perhaps you could try including a bit more exercise once you're over the cold and see if you can get your body really switching to fats instead of carbs for energy.

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I reduced my carbs gradually and started to see a slight improvement after a couple of weeks after I'd reduced them to 100g a day. I then decreased to 50g a day and saw further improvements but only got really good results (below diabetic levels) once I dropped down to 20-25g a day

Reactions: 8 people

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys,

I am increasing my activity and will be starting at a new gym in 2 weeks - my aim is to go 3 ~4 times a week. I'm averaging less than 80g of carbs a day, so perhaps I'll see a change soon. My cold is leaving this week. My concern is I have an HbA1C due and if the numbers aren't down on last time I'm going to get the insulin talk.....

S

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I see results within hours, literally. I am T1 so maybe it's different. Still I would say your improvement with your eyes is itself a sign of reducing glucose load on your system even if you don't see a reduction in BG.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If your HBa1c is due only a few weeks after you started low carbing then it will not show much improvement. You need 90 days for the full improvement to show on your HBa1c. That's just the nature of the HBa1c test itself.

Reactions: 2 people

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, I'm fed up now.

I've been to the gym daily all week, I'm eating low carbs and my BS isn't dropping below 13 this week. Yesterday I missed (accidentally) lunch and at 5pm it was 15. Normally it would be down to around 6 by then. Could be liver dump I guess, but it's frustrating!

I've now switched to lacose free mild in tea & coffee to see if that helps...
S

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sean, this time last year my blood sugar went bonkers. I went from an A1C in the sixes up to 9.2 for absolutely no reason whatsoever. I was on Gliclazide, metformin SR and Januvia. We tried every oral med known to man and then injectables, nothing. I ended up seeing a consultant the next day as a rapid addition to his clinic and was promptly put onto basal insulin, Levemir. It helped a bit but post prandial, rubbish. So 2 weeks later they added bolus using Novorapid.

My GP and consultant still cannot figure out why my diabetes has never followed a typical Type 2 with full compliance on helping myself, blood tests don't show up type 1 but they still suspect LADA or Type 1.5 even though it cannot be proved.

I would speak to your GP pronto, you don't want to run in the mid teens. I badgered mine weekly, reporting back each and every med that failed, and thankfully he didn't make me wait months and months to get sorted once we concluded insulin was the only answer.

You should be seeing almost instant results with low carb because your blood sugar in each block of 6 or 7 hours should be reflecting exercise and carbs consumed at the previous meal.

Ali

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hate to say this but how long have you been diagnosed? - you might want to go back to the doctor for test to make sure you're not actually LADA rather than T2. :-(

And probably you should check with the doctor anyway with these sustained highs. It might be just a question of tweaking your oral medication.

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Ali,

I normally see a rise after exercise but it's only for a few hours. The annoying thing is if I drop a few pounds then my BG drops very well, but I seem to struggle to loose any now!

I did really well on Avandamet years ago, but they took me off it when the heart scare came round. Apprarently it's still an option to back on it now though. I felt it made me gain weight rapidy but couldn't prove it.

I'm doing a very low carb day today and will see what gives. I somehow feel it is diet related but fail to see where I'm going wrong food wise, if indeed I am.

Thnks for the advice, this forum is helping me hugely.

S

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hate to say this but how long have you been diagnosed? - you might want to go back to the doctor for test to make sure you're not actually LADA rather than T2. :-(

And probably you should check with the doctor anyway with these sustained highs. It might be just a question of tweaking your oral medication.

Spiker, I was diagnosed about 14 years ago. My DN says that I'm one of the few that "take ownership" of my diabetes because I do my research and go with questions rather than just ask for the meds. I've alwys believed that I can go a long way to turning it around but perhaps I'm just fooling myself.

Interestingly, I did WW last year and within 2 weeks had "normal" sugar levels, but I didn't loose any weight - hence trying LCHF... Next! :( My USB meter allows me to pull of reports and the graph at WW was ace... I dare not look now lol.

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, a small update.

Today I ate the same breakfast, but I've swiched from normal milk to lactose free. I just took a reading and it's dropped right down. Small progress I hope. I've attached my report for anyone that might be interested lol. I'm not sure how to embed it so had to attach it.

S

Attachments

• Reading.pdf
    74 KB · Views: 230

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had been diagnosed 4 years odd when mine started being stupid too! What a snazzy graph you have.

Ali

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Won't let me read the PDF only download it and I don't wish to download anything.
I'm T2 and saw results the next day.
I cold turkeyed though and more or less went as far as carb free as is possible for some weeks.
I now have some carbs but only if my meter says it's ok.
I am running averaged readings of around 5.
4's first thing in the morning fasting.
What are you putting the milk on for breakfst because cereals are a real no no for most of us.
What are you eating in the day too?

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey,

No, I don't blame you, I will look into embedding graphics, I've seen others do it.

No, I only have milk in tea & coffee. I gave up cereals ages ago.

Today so far, Ive had 2 x 97% meat gluten free sausages, 2 x eggs, 2 x bacon, mushrooms and a few tinned tomatoes. Luch is a low carb protien shake - first one in years so will test a bit later for that.

I've also had one coffee with lacose free milk.

S

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks guys,

I am increasing my activity and will be starting at a new gym in 2 weeks - my aim is to go 3 ~4 times a week. I'm averaging less than 80g of carbs a day, so perhaps I'll see a change soon. My cold is leaving this week. My concern is I have an HbA1C due and if the numbers aren't down on last time I'm going to get the insulin talk.....

S

Low carbohydrate diets really start at 50 grams /day. If you want to see good returns on your efforts its best to start on 50 gm/day and see via your meter if you need to go even lower.

Reactions: 4 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Low carbohydrate diets really start at 50 grams /day. If you want to see good returns on your efforts its best to start on 50 gm/day and see via your meter if you need to go even lower.
Some people can get good results just by going below 100 gch/day but I do agree it's worth trying to go lower in your case Sean.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks guys,

S

Remember also that its not just the carbohydrates, proteins also need to be controlled because the excess can be transformed into glucose by a process called Gluconeogenesis. I was a bit slow in learning this, [ didnt want to reduce portion size] but when I did, very good results soon. followed.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Hey,

No, I don't blame you, I will look into embedding graphics, I've seen others do it.

No, I only have milk in tea & coffee. I gave up cereals ages ago.

Today so far, Ive had 2 x 97% meat gluten free sausages, 2 x eggs, 2 x bacon, mushrooms and a few tinned tomatoes. Luch is a low carb protien shake - first one in years so will test a bit later for that.

I've also had one coffee with lacose free milk.

S
If it's on screen you can just swipe across the bits you want including images by just right click copy paste.
Very modern forum this.
Like below is just copy and paste no links no captchas etc.

1. Images for the guardian front page yesterdayupload_2015-3-27_14-42-5.jpeg
  2. upload_2015-3-27_14-42-5.jpeg
  3. upload_2015-3-27_14-42-5.jpeg
  4. upload_2015-3-27_14-42-5.jpeg
  5. upload_2015-3-27_14-42-5.jpeg
  6. upload_2015-3-27_14-42-5.jpeg
  7. upload_2015-3-27_14-42-5.jpeg
    More images for the guardian front page yesterday

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.

JACKTHELAD
Hello there!
Again just copy and paste.