Discrimination

Sorted007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Upon starting on a new construction site informed site Forman that I was type 1 diabetic and that I would need to take a day off due to a hospital appointment all was well upon returning the next day surprised to be told by the other bricklayers on site I no longer had a job there so off I go to seek answers I manage to get a hold of the Forman via telephone and I was then told my work was not good enough ( I've been bricklaying for 20 years so I knew this was not the case ) so I explain to the Forman right if my work is not good enough I'll be back to site to take my work down as if it's wrong it will need to rectified anyway this did not happen because he then back tracked and agreed to pay for the hours Id done so to cut a long story short he did not like the fact I had taken the day off to see a doctor I know this is the case after all who pays for work that's wrong my problem is proving it any one else been in this situation I feel robbed from my right to work and earn money should I take it further

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to read that, I hate discrimination. As for pursuing it, much as I hate to say it, unless you can prove it you're wasting your time. I don't know all the details but did you need to take the whole day off for an appointment ? Maybe you did. If not, next time, it may look better to your employer if you tell them you have an appt and need a couple of hours off. Anyway, hope you find work soon. I also hope Karma pays your old boss back.

Reactions: 2 people

Sorted007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks mate like you say it's proving it the hardest part

Sorted007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Think I've a start for Monday so no worries karma will bite him in the ass one day I had great pleasure in winding him up on the phone. I know for sure he did not like the fact Id taken day off we all have deadlines but getting rid of me by no means is the best way of meeting deadlines I hope he struggles to find a replacement God works in mysterious ways

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
really feel for you on that sorted007 --glad you got work coming in and hopefully the karma chameleon will bite him in the goulies :D

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Makes me mad in this day and age, this is why we need unions, to look after the working man.
Modern society has a lot to answer to our forefathers.
The rights of individual workers have been trodden into the ground by ill thought doctrine.
Zero hour contracts, etc.

Shakes my head in disgust at this country. Wouldn't happen in most Euro countries.

Reactions: 8 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Harsh treatment by your former boss and unacceptable, but as one day closes another one opens, hope the new job goes well on Monday.

Reactions: 6 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Threaten to take the barsteward to an Employment Tribunal and see the git stew for a bit, sounds like a right lousy so and so. Quite a few people having issues with employers on the forum, sad to see there is so much discrimination going on. Glad to hear youve moved on so fast.

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diabetes is a part of the employment discrimination act and to sack someone because they are diabetic (Type 1 or 2) is breaking the employment laws of Great Britain, and he has without doubt broken the law.
I would hope that you told this former employer as well as your latest employer the fact that you have diabetes ideally in writing and received due notification from them that they accept you have this condition and will they will endeavour to stick to the law in regard to you employment.
You might consider that it isn't worth having a go over what they did to you, but believe me it's worth it, just to show them that the law should not be abused. Is it worth getting the DHSS, your Union representative or even the Local Papers involved.
They simply shouldn't be allowed to treat anyone in such a careless underhand manor without suffering the consequences.
Best of luck in your future employment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, so sorry to hear of your work/employer problems, it's sucks, what a loser this man is. You are someone who knows what they are doing, been in the trade for years and virtually told to get lost :mad: Are self employed then? as I remember last year there was a problem with another member and his work, I'm sure I found some info for him. but will have to have a think on that.

Take care RRB :)

Sorted007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah self employed still have the same rights when it comes to disability equality etc

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would take this further, I work in the same industry.......

are you self employed within a sub contractor or just on your own?

my experience with sub contractors has been if they take a day off then its them who is losing a days wages, so its you who is actually losing out and not the foreman, so he has no reason to let you go...........leading me to believe there are other issues at play....

keep at them.....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yeah self employed still have the same rights when it comes to disability equality etc

It's entirely up to yourself, but if you feel strongly about this and want to take things further then contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau, I've always found them helpful and had cause to contact them myself last year and they were very good.

Sorted007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Just feel a little mugged off that's all promises of 3 to 4 weeks work then end up doing half a day

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Problem is, if no one speaks up against these discriminative idiots then they keep getting away with it.
But good luck and all the best. ps CAB is a good first point of contact

RRB

Sorted007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I will do I think the hardest part is proof but I wanna shock them a little

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trust me. I'm no lie down and walk all over me character, but the OP has to consider his reputation. As a self employed person it seems he is constantly looking for contracts; which I'm guessing is jus how it goes in that line of work? Getting the unions, local press etc., is all very spiffing, and probably laudable, but won't put food on his table for long.

Once someone has a reputation as a troublemaker (that they may have been right, doesn't necessarily hold sway with employers), he could find he isn't offered quite so much work. Why choose someone happy to go to court over someone who will give them a quiet life?

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
Scoundrels!

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
If at any opportunity you can take employers to town for discrimination about diabetes... do it!!!

article-1265681-091DEF8A000005DC-266_468x337.jpg