Inconsistent insulin absorption

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Following a few topics on here I thought it would be interesting to find out how insulin absorption is for the variety of T1s on here. As someone who's been diabetic for 26.5 years, I find that there are times, even with rotated sites, that my insulin absorption is somewhat slower in some sites than others. I've also found that having lost a lot of body fat, I'm now going intramuscular inadvertently more frequently. This doesn't bother me, but I think it drives more ammunition for a pump.

How do you find your absorption? How long have you been diabetic? Do you have 5 to 45 minute variance for insulin to take effect?

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
T1D 19 years. I'm on Novomix 30 at the moment but waiting for a much needed hospital appointment with my Diabetes Team as i want to change to Tresiba but i can sometimes take a hit of Novomix and its like i hadn't even injected but if i use the novorapid it always seems to be effective within 15-20 minutes.

iHs

Using pens I found most areas ok to inject but using infusion sets, the lower side part of backside is dodgy and weirdly my legs are a bit difficult as well. Top back part of arm is ok and my tummy is good but these are areas that I never touched much with a pen

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Libre has taught me (and I think a lot of other people?) that to stop big post meal spikes, I need to inject NovoRapid about 30 mins ahead of eating...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The Libre has taught me (and I think a lot of other people?) that to stop big post meal spikes, I need to inject NovoRapid about 30 mins ahead of eating...
Depending on where I inject I have discovered this delay to vary between 10 mins and 60 mins. This came as a bit of a shock.

As another topic says. CGM for all IDDMs.

Robert747

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Depending on where I inject I have discovered this delay to vary between 10 mins and 60 mins. This came as a bit of a shock.

As another topic says. CGM for all IDDMs.
Yes, like you say, it definitely varies depending on where I inject and (naturally) how active/inactive I am following the injection ...

GraemeJones

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tim - yes, I find huge variations in the time that my insulin takes to kick in. I've been taking Actrapid/Insulatard twice a day since Monotard was withdrawn, Actrapid/Monotard twice a day before that. 27 years in total. I've always suspected these variations but have now confirmed it using Freestyle Libre. In the morning my BG starts to drop at anything from 20 minutes to 2.5 hours after injection. Often it continues to climb for an hour or so before reducing. After my evening dose the fall is usually more consistent, but still varies from 20 minutes to about 1 hour. The other effect the Libre has shown is huge variations in overnight BG. Everything else being equal, I can have several peaks and troughs overnight, or a peak then a steady fall, or a drop then a steady rise, or almost any other combination you can think of.

When taking Actrapid/Monotard, I rarely had the unexpected highs or lows that I have since switching to Insulatard, so I think that Monotard was more consistent.

I've kept careful records of injection sites versus effect since starting the Libre last October. The variations seem to be random and do not depend on which site I inject into.

Graeme

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Following a few topics on here I thought it would be interesting to find out how insulin absorption is for the variety of T1s on here. As someone who's been diabetic for 26.5 years, I find that there are times, even with rotated sites, that my insulin absorption is somewhat slower in some sites than others. I've also found that having lost a lot of body fat, I'm now going intramuscular inadvertently more frequently. This doesn't bother me, but I think it drives more ammunition for a pump.

How do you find your absorption? How long have you been diabetic? Do you have 5 to 45 minute variance for insulin to take effect?

When I was switched from Monotard to Insulatard many years ago, my control declined but I blamed myself. When I was switched from Insulatard to Lantus round about 2000, the DN said in passing, "Oh yes, it will be better because the absorption of Insulatard is very erratic." I was livid. I could have been spared many years of self-blaming had I known that all along.

So, first point, it may be insulin itself, not the injection sites, which is the problem.

When switching to Lantus, I was told,"It is very even. You can go to bed with it at 5mmol, and wake up at 5." For me there followed years of night-time hypos and anxiety, until the mass of diabetics on whom it was being "trialled" proved that is indeed the profile of Lantus for most people.

In the last few years I found it was not working well at all for me. Sometimes it was as if I had no basal at all, judging by my blood sugars. I did various "experiments" on my lab rat (me) to work out what the problem was. A couple of times I simply switched to dividing the dose up into eight and injecting 2 units of Novorapid every three hours (which, at meal times, I combined with my bolus dose). I instantly achieved perfect blood sugars. At this point I went and asked for a pump, but they were not available in Turkey at the time because the pump manufacturers had no distribution agreements with anyone here.

So I persevered with the Lantus. It was patchy to say the least. On yet another occasion I was having consistently high blood sugars even though I was watching my carbs like a hawk, exercising, etc, etc. I was testing at every opportunity. Then suddenly one day - perfect. That was the time I realized I had to stop always doing my Lantus in my thighs. The perfect day was the day I changed my injection site.

So I switched the site for my Lantus. But I saw that it seemed to have quite a bad effect quite quickly on my new sites.

So, finally, I managed to get a pump. Now I religiously rotate the site. So far I use my lower and upper abdomen and my hips and I want to use my bum and arms - that means attaching it one-handed, though and that takes a bit of practice with the set inserter, I got in a tangle a few times. I never leave it in the same place for more than three days. I just cannot afford to lose any more sites. I tend not to see big improvements by "resting" a site - at least so far. It is of great concern to me because I have had diabetes for nearly fifty years, and I am hoping to have it for another forty or so (cure would be best, but they promised me that about thirty years ago and I'm still waiting.....). I don't believe I've got forty more years' worth of sites.

Do other people find that long-acting insulins affect their injection sites more than short-acting?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
great topic @tim2000s

42.5 years here

this might sound odd but I find that the lower my pre meal BG the quicker the novorapid seems to work.
from an anecdotal perspective say my pre-meal is 4.2 carbs 40cho consisting of boiled new potatoes , and green veg with grilled chicken ( common type meal here) bolus right with meal and then testing at 1/2 hourly intervals for 3 hours will not see me rise above 6.

same scenario starting at 6.9 will see a rise to about 9.5-10 2 hours post meal. a larger rise !!??

as a general rule i inject 10-15 minutes pre meal though

as for lantus it is a law unto itself-- it seems to run in patterns that stay similar IE : bed at 6.2 waking at 8.7 Grrrrrr !! for a few days until I do something to change the pattern ( inject 1u novorapid at bedtime ) or aim for a bedtime BG of 5 resulting in a waking of 4.5-6.0
basal testing shows I am taking the right dose but even so there is variability ( absorption ? slightly different CHO intake ? , differing level of activity ? )

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
great topic @tim2000s

42.5 years here

this might sound odd but I find that the lower my pre meal BG the quicker the novorapid seems to work.
from an anecdotal perspective say my pre-meal is 4.2 carbs 40cho consisting of boiled new potatoes , and green veg with grilled chicken ( common type meal here) bolus right with meal and then testing at 1/2 hourly intervals for 3 hours will not see me rise above 6.

same scenario starting at 6.9 will see a rise to about 9.5-10 2 hours post meal. a larger rise !!??

as a general rule i inject 10-15 minutes pre meal though

as for lantus it is a law unto itself-- it seems to run in patterns that stay similar IE : bed at 6.2 waking at 8.7 Grrrrrr !! for a few days until I do something to change the pattern ( inject 1u novorapid at bedtime ) or aim for a bedtime BG of 5 resulting in a waking of 4.5-6.0
basal testing shows I am taking the right dose but even so there is variability ( absorption ? slightly different CHO intake ? , differing level of activity ? )

Oh I am absolutely with you on this one! Apidra works so much quicker and more effectively for me if my BG is already at the low end.

I also find basal a bit of a law unto themselves. I've tried Insuman, Levemir and now Tresiba - Levemir was the worst - frequently like water but sometimes dropping my BG significantly within 1.5 hours of injecting - always used up within 8 hours or so. Insuman is good for me as long as I work with the peak - but it certainly didn't hold my BG stable and was somewhat unpredictable due to the nature of NPH. Jury's still out on Tresiba - I seem to have two very different profiles with it - steady in the day but dropping overnight or steady in the day but rising overnight - again, certainly not flats for me - anyway, I won't derail this thread with my Tresiba experience.

Overall I would say basal are very unpredictable for me but I've no idea if that is due to absorption or other factors. Certainly for me and many other female insulin users, monthly hormonal cycle makes a big difference.

Smidge