Carbs? What's the story....

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Ah...so you are not nor have you been diabetic?

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I Had a Hba1c of 60 after a test in January. My test was an extra on top of my test for the drugs I'm.taking GOut. I accepted the diagnoses in good faith and started testing my blood sugar to build a diet on the results. This is wherw you and your talent as a role model come in!!!However with just a few exceptions the figures were all normal. Even testing after 60 and 90 min. So I went back.to the docs did an ogtt which came back at 4.8 after two hours. So we're all scratching get our heads!My feeling is the diabetes was caught very early and simply losing weight has put me in remission. I'm hoping it was simply a wrong diagnosis but I suspect We will never know!

I'm just going to keep eating to my meter. For me at least carbs work ok! When the meter tells me to I'll cut the carbs and low carb my ass off (with cheesecake!)

Reactions: 2 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Very interesting. I think too much faith is put into the HbA1c test without considering other tests (both to rule out and diagnose type 2). If your self testing and OGTT showed normal blood glucose levels shortly after your HbA1c test, then you may just have had a high HbA1c but normal blood glucose levels. This graph was a real eye opener for me. An HbA1c of 60 is 7.6% and doesn't necessarily mean your average blood glucose level is at diabetic levels. There have been a few people on here that have had issues with their doctor(s) deciding they do or don't have diabetes based on their HbA1c despite other test results not being consistent with diabetes. Since I had (and have) peripheral neuropathy in my feet, I'm pretty sure I had type 2 diabates, although my blood glucose levels are pretty normal now, even when I eat carbs.

HbA1c_EMBG.jpg

Brophy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well first I think I'm going to stick to the eat well plate and take more meter readings, and see how that works out. Then I'm going to try some diabetic recipes for the tearoom. But firstly before I do anything else, I'm going to get up! Then feed kittens, cat, dog, walk dog and then to start work! Oh the joys. Thanks everyone xx

Reactions: 5 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Hopefully you are one of the few type 2 people for whom the eat well plate works. If not, try a low carb diet. Let us know how you get on.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask what ones these are?
You can - but what's right/wrong for me isn't necessarily going to be the same for you. You need to look at the nutritional values of vegetables, decide whether you want to include them in your diet, then test if necessary, to see how your body responds to them.

But for me
  • starchy veggies - e.g. potatoes, parsnips.... because of their higher carb values
  • onions because they also give me migraines
  • kale because although it's low carb and on the good for you list, I personally can't stand the sight of it :yuck::yuck::yuck:
So as you see, Baruney and I differ over what's an acceptable choice for us.

Robbity

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can - but what's right/wrong for me isn't necessarily going to be the same for you. You need to look at the nutritional values of vegetables, decide whether you want to include them in your diet, then test if necessary, to see how your body responds to them.

But for me
  • starchy veggies - e.g. potatoes, parsnips.... because of their higher carb values
  • onions because they also give me migraines
  • kale because although it's low carb and on the good for you list, I personally can't stand the sight of it :yuck::yuck::yuck:
So as you see, Baruney and I differ over what's an acceptable choice for us.

Robbity
Sorry you don't like kale. personally love it and agree with you totally.