Update on Newcastle shake 'mix'

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello All

For those on or contemplating doing the Newcastle Diet, I wanted to share how my new 'mix' for the Newcastle Diet is doing

I'm into week 4 now and since last week my 'morning' first shake of the day as well as the powdered mix my shake now contains :

A big spoonful (actually I dont use a spoon - just 'rack-o-th-eye' poured) dose of olive oil (gallstone prevention, dietary fat)

2 heaped desert spoons of psyillium husk for fibre

This has now made a big improvement to my 'toilet' habits and I'm now once a day as regular as clockwork and I feel a lot better for it

The olive oil I can't taste (I use chocolate mix in the mornings)

My lunchtime mix has no oilive oil but retains the psyllium husk powder, again usually chocolate

My evening mix is usually strawberry powder just with water, no additions, and I like this as it is a very 'clean' taste ideal before bed

I've also now completely cut out milk in brews (coffee or tea) and providing I'm using good quality coffee I actually enjoy it better without milk

Tea I'm still working on without milk. The taste still feels odd to me without cowjuice but I'll get there - its a 'work in progress' :)

I'm still struggling with the 3+ litres of water a day, but I DO feel better when I achieve this level of water intake. Whether this is physical or just in my head I'm unsure of to be honest, but hey, its a learning curve

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Moonchip "I'm into week 4 now and since last week my 'morning' first shake of the day as well as the powdered mix my shake now contains :

A big spoonful (actually I dont use a spoon - just 'rack-o-th-eye' poured) dose of olive oil (gallstone prevention, dietary fat)

2 heaped desert spoons of psyillium husk for fibre"

Thanks, that is usefull to know. I plan to start mine after Easter. I need to see my DN (who is against my doing the ND) as she doesn;'t think I have a fatty liver and my liver and pancreas scan scan was normal. The radiologist did a complete abdominal scan and told me it was competely normal and asked why I was sent for the scan. When I told him he too thought I shouldn't do it as I was already underweight but I really want to give it a try. I hope I won't be in the 20% it doesn't work for but I won't know if I don't try.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd also like to ask again whether @Arab Horse has been tested to make sure she's not Type 1.5. No amount of dieting will reverse that.

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am concerned about members who have mentioned starting Newcastle diet, who are underweight.

I could understand anyone obese, overweight, or even in the 'normal' weight range wanting to try to remove visceral fat to revitalise liver and pancreas, but if there is no such fat then what benefit?

Please do not be offended by my saying this, but if you are someone as described, and you have been assessed by medical professionals who have advised against it then should you really be considering ND at all? I advocate ND for reversal of T2, but only if necessary, and would not do it without support of GP.

Reactions: 4 people

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just an update on this posting

Psyllium powder is quite expensive, especially from places like Holland & Barrett - about £12 for a 350 gram bag

I achieve the same health benefits (fibre & regular toilet habits) using Linwood Ground Milled Flaxseed which is only £4.70 for approx half a kilo from ASDA

Admittedly, the flaxseed isn't as 'fine' as the psyllium husk so it can taste 'gritty' but this is overcome if you let the shake sit for a while and allow the flaxseed to take up a bit of the moisture - this also gives the shake a thicker consistancy

That said, its being drank for health benefits, not its taste or palettability :)

Reactions: 5 people

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@moonchip have you tried Earl Grey/lady Grey tea or taking it with lemon if you're trying to drink it without milk

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The reason I want to try the ND is that I have such a limited diet at the moment and struggle with my glucose levels if I eat any carbs. If I have any fat in my liver and pancreas and getting rid of it helps me to be able to eat the occasional carb then it is worth a go; my understanding is that an ultrasound does not tell you how much fat you have in the organs, only if there is a lot, correct me if I am wrong.

800 calories for me is a lot compared with 800 calories for someone who weighs considerably more than I do and I don't intend to go under the 800 calories per day. I will not carry on if I feel that it is wrong for me but some hunger will not hurt me!

I would love some support from "skinnies" who have done the ND and had it work for them.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nomistheman, my diet is so restrictive because if I eat anything else my glucose goes very high so to keep it under 10.0mmol/L (still high) I have to be very careful what I eat. I have bought a treadmill and my husband has just set it up (after 2 weeks of asking) so I will see if that helps. I do get quite a bit of exercise anyway but the treadmill after my evening meal may help to reduce my BG levels as they are always way too high unless I just eat a salad.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And again, have you been tested for Type 1.5 @Arab Horse? If you are already underweight, eating a low carb diet and getting spikes above 10 on it, it's very possible that you have a problem with insulin production. If you don't have visceral fat, then insulin resistance is a lot less likely. The ND seems like a fairly unlikely solution to your situation - I would be asking for fasting insulin, GAD antibodies and c-peptide testing (I think they're the tests for LADA, but maybe one of the LADA members like @Ian DP can comment further on the testing involved).

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just an update on this posting

Psyllium powder is quite expensive, especially from places like Holland & Barrett - about £12 for a 350 gram bag

I achieve the same health benefits (fibre & regular toilet habits) using Linwood Ground Milled Flaxseed which is only £4.70 for approx half a kilo from ASDA

Admittedly, the flaxseed isn't as 'fine' as the psyllium husk so it can taste 'gritty' but this is overcome if you let the shake sit for a while and allow the flaxseed to take up a bit of the moisture - this also gives the shake a thicker consistancy

That said, its being drank for health benefits, not its taste or palettability :)
oat bran is even cheaper :)
all the trendy stuff is dear

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Arab Horse what the others have said, it's almost like it's starting to become an obsession or eating disorder and I'm sure you don't want that.
if the pancreas cells are dead, they are dead. no amount of dieting will fix that.

slide014.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
And again, have you been tested for Type 1.5 @Arab Horse? If you are already underweight, eating a low carb diet and getting spikes above 10 on it, it's very possible that you have a problem with insulin production. If you don't have visceral fat, then insulin resistance is a lot less likely. The ND seems like a fairly unlikely solution to your situation - I would be asking for fasting insulin, GAD antibodies and c-peptide testing (I think they're the tests for LADA, but maybe one of the LADA members like @Ian DP can comment further on the testing involved).
A GAD test confirmed my LADA diagnosis.
Underweight T2s are very often LADAs. I read somewhere that they believe there could be more undiagnosed LADAs than diagnosed T1s.
With spikes over 10 I would be asking for insulin...... Or analysing my carb intake in finite detail to be sure it realy is very low carb. I think I would probably hit the 10s if I had a meal with around 30g carbs. My limit is 12 carbs per meal, and this keeps me below 5.6 one hour after a meal.

Reactions: 6 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
@Arab Horse what the others have said, it's almost like it's starting to become an obsession or eating disorder and I'm sure you don't want that.
if the pancreas cells are dead, they are dead. no amount of dieting will fix that.

slide014.gif
This is an interesting graph not seen this before. Interesting that we (ladas) still have 50% of our insulin making beta cells on diagnosis (I had assumed it was much less than that)..... And that beta cells do regenerate (briefly on diagnosis)

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I dont know the fine detail of the newcastle diet. But for sure, if you don't want to lose weight you need to find a sustainable for life low carb diet. I would recommend purchasing a copy of Dr Trudi Deakins 'Eat Fat' book. This is a step-by-step guide to low carb living. First printed only a month or two ago. I have been on a very low carb diet now for 9 months, my weight has been stable (BMI 22) throughout this period, and although I follow Dr Bernstein solution diet it is very, very similar to Dr Deakins book which cost £10, more here http://www.xperthealth.org.uk/low-carb-living

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is an interesting graph not seen this before. Interesting that we (ladas) still have 50% of our insulin making beta cells on diagnosis (I had assumed it was much less than that)..... And that beta cells do regenerate (briefly on diagnosis)
that was a T2 chart, but I would think LADA would have a similar onset diagnosis %, but the befores and after may be quicker timeline?

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jack412 "what the others have said, it's almost like it's starting to become an obsession or eating disorder and I'm sure you don't want that.".

What I really want is to be able to eat a bit more normally! I don't have an eating disorder, in fact I always said that the one thing that I could never be was anorexic as I love my food. I will be seeing my DN nurse soon to get the results of my C-peptide and GAD antibodies and the official result of my ultrasound.Depending on those results I will start the ND. My BMI is 17.4 so I am certainly not trying to lose weight and would be happy to put a bit on to get back to near the weight I was before I had to cut out virtually all carbs.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got off on the wrong foot, I missed the quote mark and thought you were 4 weeks into it:(........... Moonchip "I'm into week 4 now and since last week my 'morning' first shake of the day as well as the powdered mix my shake now contains :

I know you were looking at it a while ago and thought you had started.
I understand you want the official result from the DR and it makes sense

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ian DP, thanks for the book recommendation, will order one. I do have quite a lot of literature already but the "at a glance" breakdown of the carbs, fats etc. in all the foods will be useful.

Jack412, I was waiting for my liver scan before I started. That was done last Monday and I was told it would be 2 weeks before the result was available but the radiologist told me after the scan but I need to see the DN to get my blood results and the official result of the scan and then I will start. If the ND does nothing else it will give my liver and pancreas a rest which can't be bad and then if I will see if I have the no carbs for life or if I can safely have a small amount; I certainly have no intention of going on a starvation diet for the long term, I like my food far too much for that!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ian DP, thanks for the book recommendation, will order one. I do have quite a lot of literature already but the "at a glance" breakdown of the carbs, fats etc. in all the foods will be useful.

Jack412, I was waiting for my liver scan before I started. That was done last Monday and I was told it would be 2 weeks before the result was available but the radiologist told me after the scan but I need to see the DN to get my blood results and the official result of the scan and then I will start. If the ND does nothing else it will give my liver and pancreas a rest which can't be bad and then if I will see if I have the no carbs for life or if I can safely have a small amount; I certainly have no intention of going on a starvation diet for the long term, I like my food far too much for that!
Perhaps if you are so determined a trial of a week to start?