Handling extra bolus with pen for treats

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi so I wondered when you were using pens how would youhandle having treats for snacks eg. I have had a 2 occasions that my daughter wanted a mr whippy Ice cream,firstly I have no idea of carb content but at a guess if you don't know shall we say 25g for the sake of this thread, we were away at the weekend and it felt horrible to deprive her but I did and another occasion her friend had one and I just felt so mean, to be fair my daughter handled it better than I did, she excepted my no sweetie we are having dinner soon but couldn't stop thinking (I need to know how to handle this sort of situation) and I don't know how you deal with extra doses of nuvo rapid with regards to timing after the last dose. Anything to watch out for etc. I will speak to my diabetes team about this but Iwanted to hear opinions?

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If the ice-cream contains 25g of carbs then its more than likely that she would have to inject otherwise her bg will go high, but depending how close the treat is to her next meal-time you could leave it and include a correction dose then, but as you've highlighted yourself if you do inject you have to take into consideration how much insulin is still active from the previous bolus and also take the ice-cream bolus dose into consideration when bolusing for the next meal.

TBH the best person to ask for help and guidance on this is her DSN,

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you noblehead I would always talk to her team first, one of many topics for next week to talk about! good to hear there are a different ways of handling it. Thanks so much for advice

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Its my pleasure, but its always best to check with a DSN when it comes to these things.

Really hope all goes well next week, so that you don't forget anything make a list now and take it along, I always forget to bring things up and remember when I've come away from the clinic :rolleyes:

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not a reply to your question but....
Mini milk lollies have 6g of carbs. Not sure if they cut the mustard in comparison to a Mr Whippy though!

Reactions: 6 people

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not a reply to your question but....
Mini milk lollies have 6g of carbs. Not sure if they cut the mustard in comparison to a Mr Whippy though!
Thank you hels great alternative x