T1 and Fat Burning Supplements

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm basically at the top end of what they recommend. I aim for 45-45-10. I usually end up at 40-55-5 with the largest being fat.
if you are short term cutting for a competition it is around your levels," Because you will be in caloric restriction, protein consumption can become as high as 40-50% of your total calories."

otherwise for a hardcore bodybuilder it's..
"The protein requirements we went over in Part 1 pretty much cover this scenario. We assume you are eating around your basal metabolic rate (BMR), and so your protein intake should be around:

• 0.5g/kg as the absolute minimum. Not something to target.
  • 1g/kg as a good minimum target.
  • 1-1.5g/kg is an ideal target."

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you are doing an eight week programme to reduce body fat and gain lean mass (not for a competition I hasten to add) then it's fine. I'm looking forward to getting to maintenance as this level is hard work.

The other downside to it is the pronounced gluconeogenesis. Being able to drop back will be a relief (and I won't be having to drink 4l of water a day).

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are doing an eight week programme to reduce body fat and gain lean mass (not for a competition I hasten to add) then it's fine. I'm looking forward to getting to maintenance as this level is hard work.

The other downside to it is the pronounced gluconeogenesis. Being able to drop back will be a relief (and I won't be having to drink 4l of water a day).
FWIW, I think 8 weeks will be fine and I can't see a problem..I misunderstood and thought you were doing it long term:bag:

LCHF can play a part in bodybuilding too
https://www.google.com.au/#q=lchf++site:forum.bodybuilding.com

fallongerie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey. Danny out ofthe both which would u say was best the hydroxy cut or lipo 6 and also where would u buy these?

C

catherinecherub

Do your research before you decide on these supplements.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/179961-dangers-of-the-lipo-fat-burner/
The Nutrex Research Lipo 6 fat burner is an energy and diet supplement that comes in pill form. According to the company, Lipo 6 has been selected as fat loss product of the year four times, which suggests it may be effective for you. Nutrex Research notes that Lipo 6 is proven and reliable, but doesn't mention safety. Unfortunately, as effective as Lipo 6 may be, some of its ingredients may cause dangerous side effects. Consult a doctor before using this or any other supplements.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/diets/hydroxycut.htm
Hydroxycut Side Effects
Because it's a stimulant, Hydroxycut can give you heart palpitations, sweaty palms, headaches, dizzy spells and sleepless nights. And if that's not enough fun, you can become dehydrated, restless and develop a mean case of the shakes [Source: Body Building for You].

And, as mentioned on the previous page, the FDA warning for consumers to stop taking Hydroxycut products comes on the heels of more than 20 reports of liver-related health problems, including the death of a 19-year-old boy. The reports included everything from jaundice and elevated liver enzymes to liver damage so advanced it required a liver transplant. In addition to these liver-related issues, other health problems associated with Hydroxycut usage have been reported to the FDA, including cardiovascular disorders, muscle damage known as rhabdomyolosis and seizures [source: U.S. FDA].

Reactions: 2 people

Lucygoosey92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very interesting. I am also on thyroxine. I've been taking it since I was thirteen. My endo did increase it about three months ago, and I did lose a lot of weight very quickly, but I was also less sedentary for the next three weeks (decorating my son's flat, instead of editing books). I think it does have a big effect. How long since you had yours checked?
I had it checked about 9 months ago, getting it checked again in about a month and a half. Did the thyroxine start taking effect straight away? My doctor didn't want to put me on it yet because he says I'm too young right now (I'm almost 23) and it's not on the high side of under active. I've also heard thyroxine medication has some ****** side effects??

Lucygoosey92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do your research before you decide on these supplements.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/179961-dangers-of-the-lipo-fat-burner/
The Nutrex Research Lipo 6 fat burner is an energy and diet supplement that comes in pill form. According to the company, Lipo 6 has been selected as fat loss product of the year four times, which suggests it may be effective for you. Nutrex Research notes that Lipo 6 is proven and reliable, but doesn't mention safety. Unfortunately, as effective as Lipo 6 may be, some of its ingredients may cause dangerous side effects. Consult a doctor before using this or any other supplements.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/diets/hydroxycut.htm
Hydroxycut Side Effects
Because it's a stimulant, Hydroxycut can give you heart palpitations, sweaty palms, headaches, dizzy spells and sleepless nights. And if that's not enough fun, you can become dehydrated, restless and develop a mean case of the shakes [Source: Body Building for You].

And, as mentioned on the previous page, the FDA warning for consumers to stop taking Hydroxycut products comes on the heels of more than 20 reports of liver-related health problems, including the death of a 19-year-old boy. The reports included everything from jaundice and elevated liver enzymes to liver damage so advanced it required a liver transplant. In addition to these liver-related issues, other health problems associated with Hydroxycut usage have been reported to the FDA, including cardiovascular disorders, muscle damage known as rhabdomyolosis and seizures [source: U.S. FDA].
Thanks for this! Was almost about to order Lipo 6 and then I looked up some side affects - horror stories I don't think I'm willing to risk right now.

Lucygoosey92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I

I train frequently also, Fat burners have never affected my diabetes, I'm currently using Hydroxy cut which is really good for shredding them pounds and I've also used Lipo 6 which is great to! but yeah I've had no side effects at all from using them so maybe just give it a try or consult your GP if your really worried about using it for the first time. Just stay away from fat burners called carb blockers, I've never tried them and by the name itself, it wouldn't go down well if i had a Hypo. lol

Hope that helps a little

:)
Are you type 1 or 2? I read somewhere not to take lipo 6 if you're diabetic because it deactivates the insulin you take.. You haven't noticed any changes though?

Danny Francis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Main ingredient in fat burners are caffeine anyway so you could just have a few scoops of coffee and th
Are you type 1 or 2? I read somewhere not to take lipo 6 if you're diabetic because it deactivates the insulin you take.. You haven't noticed any changes though?

Heyyy.

Yes I'm a T1 Diabetic and no I have never experienced any problems as far as it deactivating the insulin i take. I usually take it in the morning 30 mins before I have breakfast then i usually go for either a run or ill do some HITT Cardio depending on the day, But no I've had no problems so far and I've been using it for the past 2 months. It does have super amounts of caffeine in it so you might have to just lay off some of the coffees throughout the day.

Heyyy.

Yes I'm a T1 Diabetic and no I have never experienced any problems as far as it deactivating the insulin i take. I usually take it in the morning 30 mins before I have breakfast then i usually go for either a run or ill do some HITT Cardio depending on the day, But no I've had no problems so far and I've been using it for the past 2 months. It does have super amounts of caffeine in it so you might have to just lay off some coffees throughout the day.

Danny Francis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey. Danny out ofthe both which would u say was best the hydroxy cut or lipo 6 and also where would u buy these?

Heyyy.

I did find much more efficient results with the Lipo 6 rather than Hydroxycut but they both have similar outcomes its just Lipo 6 is a much more concentrated supplement and it only requires you to take one pill which is much better because you have to keep doubling your dosage with hydroxycut. You can buy these from anywhere i usually get mine straight from Ebay, they always seem to have the best price.

Mazjingree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello

I am new to this forum and blog and would like to know what you mean when you say you eat carbs but not carb containing foods, do you mean like zero carb pasta and rice or do you mean something else?

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had it checked about 9 months ago, getting it checked again in about a month and a half. Did the thyroxine start taking effect straight away? My doctor didn't want to put me on it yet because he says I'm too young right now (I'm almost 23) and it's not on the high side of under active. I've also heard thyroxine medication has some ****** side effects??
To be honest I cannot remember how fast it took effect because I started it forty years ago! I have never seen any side effects from thyroxine - there are effects if you take too much such as rapid heart beat right up to heart attack. But contrary to belief it does not make you lose weight if you take it in excess. If you are short of it, you will put on weight as your metabolism does slow down to some extent. When you refer to your doctor are you talking about an endocrinologist or a GP?

I think you should keep a record of your attempts to diet and exercise and show them to your endocrinologist - I think he/she will prescribe it for you.

As an aside, when I was your age, and had difficulty controlling my weight, I always found that taking Evening Primrose Oil helped. Recently I saw a research paper that said EPO is really good for Type 1s. it wasn't about weight loss, but preventing complications, but it was interesting.

I am exercising and trying to lose weight right now and I am thinking I will try EPO again. Less risky than fat burners, I think!