Worried Newbie

Catvinnat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently went to the doctors and he sent me for blood tests which I got the results of last night

My HbA1c was 54. They didn't do a fasting glucose (not sure why as I was told to fast) so I have to go back for that. In the meantime I did a fasting blood sugar with my hubbys test kit this morning which was 6.7.

I am stressed up to the eyeballs permanently at the moment, eating junk and very overweight. Am I pre diabetic? The doctor was reluctant to make a diagnosis just on the basis of the HbA1c.

I am prepared to do whatever is necessary to bring this under control. I have both parents terminally ill and my sister very poorly so my life is pretty chaotic with running around after everyone else.

I know I have to get my weight down, get moving physically and start eating sensibly.

Suppose what I really need to understand is: Is the problem still reversible at this stage if I get my butt in gear?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Catvinnat

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

By being careful with your diet you could be able to reduce your levels, thus maybe staving off diabetes or pre-diabetes with a bit of effort. Here is the information we give to new members which should help you. Ask all the questions you need to and someone will try and help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 140,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I recently went to the doctors and he sent me for blood tests which I got the results of last night

My HbA1c was 54. They didn't do a fasting glucose (not sure why as I was told to fast) so I have to go back for that. In the meantime I did a fasting blood sugar with my hubbys test kit this morning which was 6.7.

I am stressed up to the eyeballs permanently at the moment, eating junk and very overweight. Am I pre diabetic? The doctor was reluctant to make a diagnosis just on the basis of the HbA1c.

I am prepared to do whatever is necessary to bring this under control. I have both parents terminally ill and my sister very poorly so my life is pretty chaotic with running around after everyone else.

I know I have to get my weight down, get moving physically and start eating sensibly.

Suppose what I really need to understand is: Is the problem still reversible at this stage if I get my butt in gear?

Hi,
The simple answer to your question is yes!
It is never too late to improve your health, feel fitter, so that you can help yourself and your family.
That should be motivation enough.

A better diet and getting control of your blood glucose levels is the way to go.

My wife is disabled and I work part time. Because I low carb, my weight has fallen and my energy levels have increased.

Take heed of the advice that @daisy1 has given you and read around the forums, there is some great people , who have been where you are now.

Keep posting,

Reactions: 6 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hello & Welcome, it really is not too late to start, your initial numbers are not that high on the HbA1c, 48 is the diagnosis point, and your fasting was not too bad either.

I would do as @nosher8355 has suggested and have a good read through @daisy1 info and follow what lots are doing on here to varying degrees and that Low Carb High Fat and it's working certainly for me.

Good luck
Neil

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. I'm sure if you adopt the better low-carb diet, your weight and blood suagr will go down quite possibly below pre-diabtic levels in which case just maintain that healthier diet and you should remain stable. Yes, the fasting test sounds a bit pointless as an HBa1C doesn't need it. It does, however, give more reliable cholesterol results.

Reactions: 2 people

Moniker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hang in there. It will all fall into place. Take control of your diet. I found fear a great motivator.;) If you work to lower your glucose readings you will almost certainly lose weight as well.

Catvinnat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My cholesterol and kidney function were both ok so at least that is something positive.

I am kind of in shock at the moment though. I went to the doc because I was feeling so stressed and had been having chest pains. Never for one moment expected pre diabetes as, apart from being tired all the time I don't have any other indicators. And I'd put the tiredness down to stress.
Anyway, I'm on a mission now to get myself informed, get moving and take control of what I am putting in my mouth instead of comfort eating.

Talk about a wake up call!

Catvinnat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So, since I last posted I have been very very good with my diet. Started on a low carb diet immediately. To my dismay my fasting readings have all been 7.2 or 7.3 which is even higher than the first reading.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
.... what have you been eating?? Need those details if we can :)

Catvinnat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
24/3 fasting bg 6.7
breakfast 2 egg omelette, i wholemeal toast
lunch cottage cheese with prawns m & s wholefood salad
crashed out and missed tea
supper chicken breast and a slice of cheddar cheese

25/3
breakfast porridge made with rough oats and water
lunch celery apple chicken
dinner liver and onions small serving of chickpeas

26/3 fasting bg 7.3
breakfast porridge as above
lunch salad of pink salmon celery bok choi spinach apple red pepper with mayo
tea ham omelette

27/3 fasting bg 7.2
breakfast and lunch as above
tea chicken, mushroom and red pepper

28/3 fasting bg 7.3
breakfast 2 eggs 2 slices ham

drinks are water or peppermint tea no milk or sugar

I have had the week from hell stress wise - my own diagnosis, hubby undergoing tests for prostate cancer, work issues.

My weight has come down 2.3 k since Monday

Catvinnat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't been able to test sugars either before or after eating as I don't have my own meter, just using hubbys first thing before I go to work.
The one thing I haven't done yet is start exercising. Just off to do some walking on the treadmill as a start.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
You MAY need to test again without the toast and the porridge. Good work on your start !!!

Walking is terrific for me and I sure hope it works for you :) The other stresses might not be helping either but I wish you well. Work on those numbers a bit and my thoughts are with you.

Mike :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Catvinnat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have cut bread out completely, only had that 1 piece at the beginning of the week. Just done 15 mins walking, aim to do another couple of sessions spread through the day. Its a start anyway.

Reactions: 6 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
.... and it's a VERY good one. With all those other issues going on in your life, your commitment is amazing. Remember one thing please .... we are always here to help with anything ...... the people here are just stunning and you will find that out just as I did.

Mike

Reactions: 8 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi @Catvinnat , welcome :)

Well done for taking this by the horns, low carbing is the key (and don't be swayed by DNs who recommend carbs with every meal).

Have a read of the first item linked in my sig below - maybe the others as well! - and ask any questions.

Catvinnat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone for your encouragement and information. I am reading up as much as I can. It took me an age to shop last night with reading all the labels. i think have hit ' the wall' - cramp during the night and very very hungry. Just had a snack of celery with a sliver of goats cheese. I need to up my salt uptake a little

Reactions: 3 people

Catvinnat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So, what I am reading is that with LCHF I don't need to worry too much about counting calories in order to lose weight. Am I understanding it right? That if I eat only from the right foods and replace carbs with fat the weight will still come off?

Sooze

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Cat and welcome :) Sorry to hear of all the stress you have going on at the moment, can't be easy.

I like to think of the way I eat as low cab , full fat rather than high though that is a personal choice. In my case I have shed about 2.5 stones since Dec because I find my appetite is satisfied so much easier now by eating full fat ( butter, olive oil, cream, full-fat greek yoghurt etc. so the calories tend to take care of themselves. If you can buy your own meter ( sd codefree has very reasonable test strips) then testing before and after meals will give you a much better idea of what your body can deal with ( i.e 2 hours after a meal though others test at 1 hr mark too ) . All the best :)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
So, what I am reading is that with LCHF I don't need to worry too much about counting calories in order to lose weight. Am I understanding it right? That if I eat only from the right foods and replace carbs with fat the weight will still come off?

Not quite, you do have to watch the calories to an extent, it's just with LCHF you don't have to worry about eating fat. Just eat what fat you want in the form of butter, eggs, cheese, avocados etc and your body will tell you when you've had enough. The HF bit doesn't mean you stuff yourself with it, although opponents of LCHF will try and suggest that is what it means, you just have what you want and don't worry about it.

PS I don't count calories (except at first) and just eat what I'm comfortable with, that's the beauty of it. And I've lost 20kg in the process.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
My cholesterol and kidney function were both ok so at least that is something positive.

I am kind of in shock at the moment though. I went to the doc because I was feeling so stressed and had been having chest pains. Never for one moment expected pre diabetes as, apart from being tired all the time I don't have any other indicators. And I'd put the tiredness down to stress.
Anyway, I'm on a mission now to get myself informed, get moving and take control of what I am putting in my mouth instead of comfort eating.

Talk about a wake up call!
Well done , right attitude ,now keep strong and you'll be ok