FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

lollloll

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a Q ref the libre, can you use the blood test strips to calibrate the reader if it's out (libre scan says 2.8mmol, finger prick is 4.7mmol?
and is it ONLY the Optimum test strips that the flash will accept or has anyone be able to use the aboott insulinx strips?
Questions, questions....;)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
No. Factory calibrated only. Optimum test strips only. I suggest you read the manual. It's full of useful information of this sort....

lollloll

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply Tim, I did that 'skim read' of instruction manual last night :oops: seems a shame not to be able to calibrate your reader with a finger prick test but then I guess this is the 'first one' no doubt as the years go on the tech will improve..

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for your reply Tim, I did that 'skim read' of instruction manual last night :oops: seems a shame not to be able to calibrate your reader with a finger prick test but then I guess this is the 'first one' no doubt as the years go on the tech will improve..
Depends on your point of view. All the CGMs require calibration, but it is required more than once. It's a lot easier to not need to do it, and the vast majority of sensors seem to have worked quite well without. In future I think you are more likely to see the Dexcoms and Enlites moving away from local calibration than the Libre moving towards it.

ROBIN77777

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Blood testing strips cost about £20 per pot so cost roughly the same cost, also going from 10 blood tests a day to about 3-4 is a big difference and being able to see if sugars are going up or down and it not being guess work is great also helps keep better control hopefully eliminating future complications = saving money future, ive only had mine 24 hours and iam finding it amazing and incredibly helpful, you can see blood sugars result without the finger prick and see where its going x
And what about those of us who have lost fingers due to diabetes when finger pricking has become impossible.?

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh well my 1st one inserted 30 mins ago
It stung/hurt about 2/10 (on a scale 10=unbearable) when I inserted it
Still stinging now 1/10
no visible blood

Not sure how long I should wait to activate it

I have a bad feeling about this :¬(

ROBIN77777

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Still stinging now 1/10
no visible blood

I had my first sensor fitted at the hospital on Wenesday afternoon. Brilliant to use but woke up thismorning to find it had come off overnight.

I suggest you use tape to secure it in place.

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good idea I have some large mepore dressings I could use but
Its starting to sting a lot more now :¬( very sad this

oh well plop plops happen

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Still stinging now 1/10
no visible blood

Leave it a while if it hurts as it might be swollen under then skin and the fluid will make it inaccurate

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just ordered a new reader and two sensors, and while you are unable to buy the starter pack, they sell this combination at the starter pack price.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Absolutely love the libre! My sensor has always been within 0.5 of my meter reading so have had no worries at all about accuracy so far. It's really making life so much easier and I don't feel it or even notice it. Anyone thinking of it - I'd say go for it!

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
replaced the faulty sensor this one is very good
+/- 0.5 mmol with blood test sticks :¬)

Abbott replaced the sensor immediately when I showed them a straight line graph 6.0 mmpl to 1.5mmol
(Dead sensor)

Shame all the Dead sensor data cant be deleted - its making a mess of the reports
guess I will always have to manually start date to remove the bad data

I bet there is a hidden menu for this but its to early to know :¬)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When you connect up on the pc it defaults to the last month of data. With less than a day, there is not enough to show you meaningful statistics anyway.

Reactions: 2 people

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When you connect up on the pc it defaults to the last month of data. With less than a day, there is not enough to show you meaningful statistics anyway.

Yep I got it now anyways I can manually set date range to ignore the 1.5mmol dead sensor data yesterday
I wont bother with it for a bit :¬)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A few days ago, I posted on here relating my frustration at being out of UK during the one week buying window (and a few more beyond). I emailed Abbott asking them to reallocate my slot, as it hurts almost as much that someone else is missing out.

I had a reply this morning in which Abbott confirmed that unfortunately, they were unable to reallocate my buying slot, but that I should keep their email and contact them on my return to UK, when they will help me.

This might be useful for anyone for whom the timing is not ideal, when it is offered to them?

I'll be joining the Libre wearers when I get back to UK, for sure!

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As promised an update. This time I used a Compeed Medium blister plaster with no hole in the middle. Applying the sensor felt a bit weird as I could feel a bit of resistance as it shot through the Compeed plaster. However it worked ok. I have just completed the 14 days and it was itch and irritation free! The sensor was not the most accurate but no worse than any of the others and some of the postings on here. I have attached a couple of pictures. The main issue is making sure the Compeed stays attached for the full 14 days so I had to get a second lot of Opsite applied after about 9 days (this involved cutting away most of the first Opsite). This will be my method going forward :)

image2.JPG
image4.JPG

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Starter kit arrived today. So far so good.
Must admit I am fairly impressed so far since it certainly is less intrusive than the dexcom that I was fitted with my the hospital a year ago for a week long track (they couldn't believe I wasn't having constant hypos)

Curious about where on the arm people have been placing the sensor. Also has anyone tried placing the sensor somewhere else and how was the accuracy.

/A

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Andy_P - that's brilliant news. I've just removed mine and the Cavillon has certainly helped but I do still have some skin irritation. I've cleaned the adhesive off with TacAway, wiped it with antiseptic wipes and applied some Bio Oil to try to aid healing. I'm actually thinking of covering it with a Compeed to see if it heals quicker.

Has anyone tried SkinTac as a barrier under the Libre? Can't decide whether to give that a go or just go straight to putting a Compeed on as a barrier.

Smidge