Three meters - three different readings.

ChrisQuinn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I now have three meters - my trusty old Accuchek Active, which I have had for years, a new Accuchek Aviva which I bought about 6 weeks ago when I started on Victoza, and a new Bayer Contour Next USB which I got as a freebie through Facebook.

I decided, out of curiosity to try all three at the same time to see how they compare. At 9.00 this morning , before eating, I used all three meters on blood from the same fingerprick within 30 seconds of each other and the readings were as follows:

1. Accuchek Active - 9.8
  2. Accuchek Aviva - 10.8
  3. Bayer Contour - 11.7
Why the differences? Which one should I use?

Reactions: 2 people

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think they are only meant to be accurate to about 20% (or something similar) so these are not unexpected results - it's just how it is with blood glucose testing...

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ie a reading of 9.8 could represent blood glucose between 8.1 and 12.3, 10.8 between 9 and 13.5 and 11.7 between 9.8 and 14.6 or thereabouts.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@ChrisQuinn,
As like me, you are a T2(not on Insulin) I wouldn't worry about the comparative inaccuracies of the meters, rather work with one meter and use the tests to watch for trends in BG i.e a progressive increase in BG or repeated high BG after "Auntie Joan's meat pie";)

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Well, I would find that disturbing -- could be batteries, could be the strip, the lancet-- who knows;
Because of uncertainty, if you repeat this experiment and find the same variations, I would chose the
meter with the lowest number.

Aguila

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wind & rain
I get different readings from different fingers on the same hand too!

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I now have three meters - my trusty old Accuchek Active, which I have had for years, a new Accuchek Aviva which I bought about 6 weeks ago when I started on Victoza, and a new Bayer Contour Next USB which I got as a freebie through Facebook.

I decided, out of curiosity to try all three at the same time to see how they compare. At 9.00 this morning , before eating, I used all three meters on blood from the same fingerprick within 30 seconds of each other and the readings were as follows:

1. Accuchek Active - 9.8
  2. Accuchek Aviva - 10.8
  3. Bayer Contour - 11.7
Why the differences? Which one should I use?
You will most likely get a different reading even using the same meter and same finger. You can also get a different reading from the left hand to the right hand. If in doubt try it with same meter and use the lower reading. I use a Glocomen LX plus and my right hand generally gives a lower reading than my right hand. Just hose the meter you feel comfortable with and stick to that one.

lucy jordan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
get different readings from different fingers on the same hand too!
All these testing mean finger pricking how do people cope with them. You must run out of fingers and being extremities are they not also liable to slow healing because of poor blood supply to finger ends

Amethyst8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
All these testing mean finger pricking how do people cope with them. You must run out of fingers and being extremities are they not also liable to slow healing because of poor blood supply to finger ends
I was told not to inject on the thumb due to giving wrong numbers on BG.The index finger is not to be used too due to getting pain.
So I just use ring finger & little finger& adjust the pen to prick.I found my fingers get cramps off & on & it's very painful.

Amethyst8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think they are only meant to be accurate to about 20% (or something similar) so these are not unexpected results - it's just how it is with blood glucose testing...
you are correct.I did the same with my two machines.First with freestyle freedom lite & then with veriQ gave 2 different figures,one is lower one is higher so i am using the one that gives me the accurate numbers.
Thank you for this info.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I was told not to inject on the thumb due to giving wrong numbers on BG.The index finger is not to be used too due to getting pain.
So I just use ring finger & little finger& adjust the pen to prick.I found my fingers get cramps off & on & it's very painful.

I've never heard that before. I use all my fingers/thumbs in rotation. You can also use the fleshy mound at the base of the thumb and the forearm. Search on google and youtube for 'alternative test sites' and you will find videoes that show you how to do it. (There might also be info somewhere on this website if you look around.)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
you are correct.I did the same with my two machines.First with freestyle freedom lite & then with veriQ gave 2 different figures,one is lower one is higher so i am using the one that gives me the accurate numbers.
Thank you for this info.
How do you know which one is the accurate one?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I get different readings from different fingers on the same hand too!
That's normal. Your blood is not completely homogenous.

pmtbrew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the Freestyle Libre and do a control test every day or do (two blood tests with the Libre and Accucheck Mobile).

Generally there is a 20% range in the blood data, which seems to change with time and batch of the strips.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its hard to say which is correct. But i am willing to bet if you did 3 tests in a row with each of the 3 meters you would still get 9 different results, and if you averaged each of the 3 tests of a single meter together, all of the averages would tell you which is the most accurate.

Would you want to preform this exercise? Probably not. So what should you do ? Nothing. Just pick which ever meter you prefer and know it has an error range.