Ready Meals ?

janeygwynn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know I am going to get shot down in flames for asking this but does anyone know of a supermarket that does a specific diabetic food range. I don't eat a lot of ready meals but it would be nice to have something other than an egg on standby to just pop in the oven. Everything is so full of sugar and carbs everywhere you go. Its enough to drive you nuts.
Thanks in advance and please be nice lol.xxx

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there

Birds Eye, Inspirations range fish in sauce, very low carb (or at least some of them, not checked all flavours!)
Waitrose - chicken tarragon casserole, and also see their easy cook range, some of those main meals very low carb too

Hope this helps!

All the best

D

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not sure there any that do ready meals specifically for people with diabetes, M & S do a good range of ready meals and some like cauliflower cheese might be suitable for you if you follow a low-carb diet.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make my own ready meals now, just make more than you need and freeze the extra so you always have something in the freezer for when you don't want to cook :)

Reactions: 6 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Sainsbury's do a liver and bacon ready meal.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tescos do some chilled ready meals in trays.
Things like chicken breasts wrapped round cheese, then wrapped in bacon.
We tried them when we were on a self catering hol, and I went on a cooking strike. :)

Pros: enjoyable, and surprisingly low carb, if we were selective in choosing which meal
Cons: not cheap, and the chicken 'breasts' were A cup, rather than a satisfying DD.

Reactions: 9 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I know I'm going to be on m own for a while, I always over cook any meal I know will freeze adequately, until the freezer is full, then I can have some variety. I'm fairly good at planning ahead, to take stuff out,of the freezer, but can come unstuck on that sometimes. Routinely, I'm very spoilt, as m OH is chief cook in this house.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh, just remembered!

I used to do Mr B ready roast dinners, in the days before I totally took over his life, er... moved in with him.

I just froze a chicken breast, a sausage, a bacon rasher (draped over the chicken) and a stuffing ball together. Then he defrosted and baked the whole thing together with some micro'd veg.

Suppose it would also have worked with pork chops or fish n veg n cheese, etc.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
M&S "Fuller Longer" range is basically covert low carb. They recently changed the name of the range to something else, can't remember what.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have any kind of meat/veg dish in sauce, I mostly do what @rowan mentioned and freeze portions of things I've cooked myself but always have an 'emergency meal' in the freezer from supermarket if I've not planned ahead :) x