confused at my meter readings!!!

*bel*74

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi....only been diagnosed with type 2 since end of Feb. After reading on here about the benefits of have a glucose meter I went out and brought one (my diabetic nurse said no need to test) so this morning as soon as I got up I done a reading and it was 7.7 (much better than before) I have been really busy decorating so only had a quick cup of tea up until dinner time.done my bloods again before I ate and they had gone up to 8.4 . So I'm really confused as to why they had gone up as I hadn't eaten anything? I thought they would go down with out food and up if I eat the wrong food's. Could anyone help me understand please. Thanks

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
that's called a liver dump, when your BG lowers [but it still may be well above normal] and will trigger the liver to release 'suagar' ...that will settle down
I'd stay away from carbs and try the LC diet
http://www.practicaldiabetes.com/SpringboardWebApp/userfiles/espdi/file/March 2014/PP Unwin final proofs revised.pdf

it’s a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's not always rhyme or reason to BG levels on a meter - they have a fair degree of inaccuracy and are only ever a snapshot of a particular point in time. All I'd add to jack412's remark is that I agree about the possibility of a liver dump, and it may well have been provoked by your not eating anything all day - it's normally a morning phenomenon because your liver is giving your system a glucose boost to get you going for the day. In your case, your body may be objecting to the lunch-shaped hole in your day's diet.

In my opinion (and it is only my opinion) having diabetes means that you should be more disciplined about eating regularly, as well as watching what you eat.

Don't worry - things will improve - it's very early days: in six months time, you'll look back on this and laugh (hopefully:))

(Edit: I think this may be a classic example of the North/South divide: round these parts, "dinner" is a meal taken in the evening whereas I've just realised that you are probably speaking of it in the sense of a mid-day meal. In which case, ignore my ignorant blethering :))

(Edit edit: Just realised you're from Pompey. That'll be back to the drawing board on the North/South theory, then (I'm from Winch.).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

*bel*74

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the information. I am trying to eat regular but it is hard,over the years I've just got into really bad eating habits and I guess I need to make more of a effort to change them :(

Just Neil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I went out and purchased an Accumeter yesterday and after being on the metformine for over two weeks was surprised to find that an average of seven readings I took before and after meals came out at more (10.7) than the 10.5 I was when diagnosed. Lowest reading was 7.8 before lunch and highest 14.4 after breakfast which was a small banana and two wheatabix with a little milk. Fasting sugar this morning was 8.7.

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Just Neil

maybe now you've got the metre you could try a breakfast tomorrow with less carbs and see how your metre likes that....how about say boiled eggs or eggs and bacon. Banannas and weetabix be pushing your readings up.

All the best.

D

Just Neil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Daffodils1 and thanks for the advice. My DN wants me to eat porridge for breakfast but I cannot stomach the vile stuff. Just had two rounds of wholemeal bread toasted with a scrape of marg on so will see how that works. Could try a boiled egg for lunch as I have some in.

plonkish_

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Porridge makes my BG high (a shame because I actually like it) so maybe it's just as well you don't like it ;) although everyone is different and you'll need to test your blood to see what suits you best.

I have bacon and eggs (or sometimes omelette with tomato or cheese). I thought it was a right faff to start with and really missed my easy to make Alpen! But now I'm used to it and can make it fast without thinking about it. Greek yogurt and berries is good too.

plonkish_

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I should have added, I can't eat bread or toast at all. It sends my BG levels sky high!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went out and purchased an Accumeter yesterday and after being on the metformine for over two weeks was surprised to find that an average of seven readings I took before and after meals came out at more (10.7) than the 10.5 I was when diagnosed. Lowest reading was 7.8 before lunch and highest 14.4 after breakfast which was a small banana and two wheatabix with a little milk. Fasting sugar this morning was 8.7.
the 10.5 may be in the % scale rather than what you see on your meter. You are a long way ahead with a meter, some use the SD codefree meter because the strips are so much cheaper.
the idea is not to rise 2mm after your meal. It's all a learning curve.
most T2 here can't have a lot of carbs, as you found out with the 14 after breakfast :)
have a read about low carb diets
are you on metformin?

Just Neil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Jack, my toast breakfast has taken me from 8.7 (fasting) to 9.4 two hours later so not bad I guess. So the 10.5 result from the lab test is a different thing than I am monitoring with my meter then? Sorry for all the questions but this is all new to me and a little scary.

Dave Brierley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi being busy may also raise your BG to enable you to be busy, if you get my meaning. For breakfast I have Greek style yogurt sweetened with sugar free blackcurrant cordial, cereals really send my BG through the roof as does anything with flour in. A weekends when we have more time its always a good fry up for breakfast.

I think the best advice is to miss out the carbs as much as possible, it works for me and many others but we are all different so keep monitoring your BG and be prepared for any instance when you may go too low (hypo). I drive a lorry so I have stuff in the cab for hypo's, such as a bottle of coke, some sweets and a tube of glucose tablets, not needed anything yet though.

Just Neil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Dave, thanks for the advice on the carbs. I have at least halved my intake of them since being diagnosed and to be honest I cant wait to see my DN next Thursday to see if she thinks I am heading in the right direction. I am a big guy at 6' 2" and 19st but I know I am losing weight because I feel hungry most of the time. With the hunger it is always tempting to "snack" between meals but so far I have resisted the temptation.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Bananas and breakfast cereals are not a good idea ... any fruit unless it ends in berry is risky.
Bread for breakfast is not a good idea either.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jack, my toast breakfast has taken me from 8.7 (fasting) to 9.4 two hours later so not bad I guess. So the 10.5 result from the lab test is a different thing than I am monitoring with my meter then? Sorry for all the questions but this is all new to me and a little scary.
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
sorry, I forgot to say that most don't want to see above 8, but 9.4 is better than 14 :)
..tomorrow try fried tomato or mushrooms and an egg on one piece of toast. with a dob of real butter and the next day add an extra egg and miss out on the toast

low carb will stop hunger because it drops your insulin by getting your BG lower and lets you burn fat again
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm

how much carb
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/carblevel.htm

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Hi Dave, thanks for the advice on the carbs. I have at least halved my intake of them since being diagnosed and to be honest I cant wait to see my DN next Thursday to see if she thinks I am heading in the right direction. I am a big guy at 6' 2" and 19st but I know I am losing weight because I feel hungry most of the time. With the hunger it is always tempting to "snack" between meals but so far I have resisted the temptation.
I'm just under six foot three and was eighteen stone.
In just over three months I dropped to fifteen stone and brought my bloods under control.
Lowered my blood pressure.
Cholesterol is slowly heading in the right direction.
How did I do it?
I was given this link here on this site ... didn't make a lot of sense to me but I went for it.
I'm on less medication for everything too now.
This big guy can and does go in greasy spoon cafes and has full on fry ups for breakfast too!
This is the link that changed my health and my life .... not just me either there are lots of us on here ... http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Just Neil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Some very useful advice from you all thank you so much. Dave I am on metformin tablets 500mg twice a day and one statin tablet each evening for my cholesterol. My doctor was talking of doubling the metformin in a week or so from now.

Dave Brierley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi The doctor will go on your hba1c so the decission about any med change can be made on that figure.