Low Carb case to be in British Medical Journal

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Low Carb case to be in British Medical Journal, the fourth most important medical journal in the world

As part of my campaign to bring this approach to the notice of the medical establishment I have preliminary agreement to publication of a 2000 word article featuring someone with type two diabetes who used the low carb diet. The patient achieved steady weight loss over seven months, totaling an amazing 16Kg and successfully stopped all four prescribed drugs. A theme of the piece is patient choice and possible alternatives to medication.

The weight loss has been maintained for over a year, so he weighs less now than at any time in his adult life. The goal of coming off all four medications (Aspirin 75mg once daily. Metformin 500mg three times a day. Perindopril 4mg daily. Simvastatin 40 mg at night) was achieved in a stepwise manner as he lost weight; first metformin, then the perindopril followed by the simvastatin and aspirin.

The weight loss has been matched by improvements in other parameters:

HbA1c down from 52 to 43mmol/mol (6.9% to 6.2%).This despite coming off metformin!

BP from 130/80 to 117/70mmHg.This despite coming off perindopril

Improvements in liver function;GGT down from 59 to 19u/L, ALT down from 53 to 20u/L.

Of particular note is that despite more eggs, lots of full-fat Greek yoghurt and stopping statins his cholesterol/HDL ratio has improved slightly from 2.8 to 2.7, and the serum triglyceride improved from 1.3mmol/L to 1.1mmol/L.

My carbohydrates, diabetes and the liver work is awaiting peer review and the editor’s decision. I hope that soon I can share it with you all. Prof Feinman from New York heard of my work and volunteered to help. He is much respected in the low-carb field and agrees with me that carbs are the cause of three epidemics; obesity, diabetes and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease which is hardly talked about, even though it affects 20% of adults in the the developed world.
I hope more anon!

Reactions: 68 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Brilliant that's great news :)

Reactions: 4 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
You are brilliant ... thanks for pushing the message out like you do. At last a dr l feel l can trust :-D

Reactions: 2 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah really great, we need all the support we can get Thank you

Neil

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a truly exciting development for us all. Thank you.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Excellent!

Don't forget doc, that low carbing is the only way to treat RH and other blood glucose disorders.

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low Carb case to be in British Medical Journal

Fantastic news Doc. I hope it gets published. Reading this case study is hopefully looking in the mirror as far as I am concerned. Currently lost 6kg on the LCHF diet in 3 months. Hb1AC result comes out on Monday. Hopefully I can progress to come off Metformin, Aspirin, Simvastatin, Amodipine and Valsartan in due course

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for this. I too have been able to stop taking all my blood pressure, diabetes and heart medications since following LCHF.

Reactions: 6 people

plonkish_

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This would be fantastic. Those results look amazing and I hope that I'll be able to treat my diabetes with diet only (at least for now).

I had previously been eating what I thought was a healthy diet (basically what is recommended by the NHS) for years. I think that everyone should reduce the amount of carbs they eat, not just diabetics. It also frustrates me that food producers put sugar in just about everything, even savoury food. As well as reducing carbs people should go back to cooking more of their own food from scratch and avoid the extra sugar and other **** manufacturers put in the food.

This has certainly restored my faith in the medical profession's treatment of diabetics after what happened with my GP practice! :)

Blessedarethecheesemakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great to see - congratulations. I've lost 17kg in 6 months on LCHF, almost entirely painlessly, having struggled with my weight all my life.

Reactions: 5 people

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Super super super!!!! Please keep us updated when it gets published, this could be the start of a long overdue change in attitudes towards diet management in diabetes!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hhhhhooooorrraaaayyyyyy!!!!!