Planning ahead for post-Newcastle maintenance, drinks?

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all

Well I'm half way through the Newcastle Diet and already my mind is planning ahead at what foods I can eat on an LCHF diet

I know there's lots of information about recipes and suchlike and a good starting point seems to be the excellent DietDoctor site, plus the many recommendations of recipes from others on here

I'm not a great 'breakfast' person so I'll be sticking I think with my shake / oil / fibre mix for breakfast

But I'm also looking at 'hot' drinks and wondered if anyone has any experience with Spiced Butter Tea ?

Yep, I know - on the one hand it sounds disgusting yet on the other it sounds scrumptious !

Made with dark (fermented ??) tea and mixed up frothy including cardamoms, star anise, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, fennel, corriander, black pepper, salt, butter (ghee), and milk or cream.

Sounds the perfect drink for when summer is over and it starts to go cooler

Anyone tried it ??

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all

Well I'm half way through the Newcastle Diet and already my mind is planning ahead at what foods I can eat on an LCHF diet

I know there's lots of information about recipes and suchlike and a good starting point seems to be the excellent DietDoctor site, plus the many recommendations of recipes from others on here

I'm not a great 'breakfast' person so I'll be sticking I think with my shake / oil / fibre mix for breakfast

But I'm also looking at 'hot' drinks and wondered if anyone has any experience with Spiced Butter Tea ?

Yep, I know - on the one hand it sounds disgusting yet on the other it sounds scrumptious !

Made with dark (fermented ??) tea and mixed up frothy including cardamoms, star anise, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, fennel, corriander, black pepper, salt, butter (ghee), and milk or cream.

Sounds the perfect drink for when summer is over and it starts to go cooler

Anyone tried it ??
Sorry @moonchip, I really don't like black tea. I drink green tea with lemon, or lemon and ginger tea i don't add cream as not able to digest it well.
Sounds like you are considering LCHF? If so maybe some advice from others who eat this way?

Reactions: 2 people

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry @moonchip, I really don't like black tea. I drink green tea with lemon, or lemon and ginger tea i don't add cream as not able to digest it well.
Sounds like you are considering LCHF? If so maybe some advice from others who eat this way?

Absolutely, Pipp -- LCHF would seem to be the ideal way forward for maintenance after the ND ......... not least as it includes meet & cheese

That's almost better than sex :D:D:D

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Absolutely, Pipp -- LCHF would seem to be the ideal way forward for maintenance after the ND ......... not least as it includes meet & cheese

That's almost better than sex :D:D:D

Don't make the mistake I did with LCHF after Newcastle diet. I took too literally the HF definition. I had read about bulletproof coffee, fat bombs, cream etc. Also, cheese. I could eat my own weight of the stuff. Overdid it a bit, severe gastric problems and a huge weight gain followed.

As for your last sentence. Hmmm, no comment!

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest Pipp I am concerned about weight gain post-ND so my LCHF will be more Low Carb Moderate Fat.

I realise by body needs fat for energy if it isn't getting carbs but I'm also now acutely aware that my body can survive all day even with decent exercise on so little an intake of anything without me feeling ill. Truth be told, I feel better now, 4 weeks into the ND, than I ever felt before.

Still struggling with the 3+ litres of water a day but hey ho, all told its not as much of an issue as it was 3 weeks ago

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

You asked about low carb drinks:

Tea with cream (I can't tolerate the whey in milk, but am fine with cream, butter and cheese. O the hardship)
Coffee with cream
Chai with cream
Herb teas (I have 3 favourites)
Ginger tea
Green tea
Black tea (I don't, because it stains my teeth)
Water
Fizzy water
Fizzy water with a squirt of lemon juice
Sambucol effervescent tabs
Bovril
Chicken bovril (but be careful, it contains MSG, which gives me headaches and insomnia)
Broth (knorr stock pots)
Sugar free squash and pop (I don't because I don't want the artificial sweeteners)
Homemade lemonade or limeade

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol - shows I don't drink, doesn't it?

I didn't even think of including any alcoholic drinks on the list. ;)

Reactions: 4 people