LCHF & Omnipod

Tukella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I've been reading all the success stories of the LCHF diet so decided to look it up on the net! The first point I noticed was that you don't need to weight the food.

Can anyone who is on the Omnipod or a pump tell me if this is what they do? I would need to weigh the food for the carb count surely x

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That bit doesn't apply when you're on insulin. you may do better on the insulin /pump page
I would weight the carbs and some allow for protein and bolus aryou https://healthonline.washington.edu/document/health_online/pdf/CarbCountingClassALL3_05.pdf

with protein/fatty meals split square/dual wave bolusing is often talked about.
300px-Combo_bolus.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Its really a case of trial & error when you cut back on the carbs in your diet and replace them with increased fats and protein, meaning you will have to test your postprandial bg levels and learn from the results that you get.

If you do start on this diet it would probably be best that you weigh all your food to start off with and keep a detailed diary so that you can refer back to it for future reference, being on a pump should help somewhat on a LCHF diet as you can use features like the Extended Bolus to allow for the slow increase in bg levels from eating a higher proportion of fats and protein. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Given that, on MDI with low carbs, you have to think more in terms of extending your boluses and managing protein, without the helpful pump features, you will still need to understand the micronutrients of what you are eating and therefore weigh the food.

There isn't an "easy" way around it.