Bamboozled by diet, & insulin

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
As the title says I've been type 1 for years and long time pumper as well.
I try to keep to a fairly low carb intake
70-120 CHO a day which I do fairly well but recently I've noticed lots more on the forum of knowledgeable Diabetics talking about proteins, fats, TBR, Extended boluses etc, to be honest we never had things ever mentioned to us about these 40 years ago and I encouraged to eat 240CHO a day with just 2 injections. Since pumping I've had very good control hba1c of no higher than 6.8 last 15 yrs but now I want more, I want to learn more about myself and my diabetes a couple of books keep getting mentioned so at last I have ordered Pumping Insulin and Think like a pancreas. I couldn't really afford them so I went on a well known website and bought used ones and both are apparently in mint condition got both for less than £8 well chuffed. I feel that hopefully I will be able to educate myself a bit better.

Just felt like saying that

Reactions: 8 people

iHs

Remember, years ago, people were more active, were colder in the winter and food was more basic and not so plentiful as it is now

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
TAG "total available glucose" will give an intro if you put the phrase into google.
and read widely https://www.google.com.au/#q=pumpers+insulin

but in the following I think the GI part this is questionable, because GI is based on a false premise that you only eat one food at a time
https://healthonline.washington.edu/document/health_online/pdf/CarbCountingClassALL3_05.pdf

upload_2015-3-29_9-21-42.png

I've seen different times said for when different foods/meals spike and a 8oz steak will go for a longer time than a 3oz steak
ultimately I think you need to work out your own 'digestive time' of foods and the different times when they spike

Last edited by a moderator:

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Remember, years ago, people were more active, were colder in the winter and food was more basic and not so plentiful as it is now
Totally agree with you my mum and dad had 9-5 jobs we ate set meals not all this tv rubbish there used to be 1tv & 1phone in the house etc we even had an allotment to grow all our fresh veg. Diabetes seemed so simple to run then.

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
TAG "total available glucose" will give an intro if you put the phrase into google.
but I think the GI part this is questionable, because GI is based on a false premise that you only eat one food at a time
https://healthonline.washington.edu/document/health_online/pdf/CarbCountingClassALL3_05.pdf

View attachment 12683
I've seen different times said for when different foods/meals spike and a 8oz steak will go for a longer time than a 3oz steak
ultimately I think you need to work out your own 'digestive time' of foods and the different times when they spike
I do have problems with spikes as I have gastroporiasis but I manage fairly well . I use temporary basal's but my average digest takes varies each time.
I do like fruit which digests in about 1.5 - 2.0 hrs but bread and potatoes take just about 3-0 hours plus. It does help the softer the food and chewing really well

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks for sites and charts jack412

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you're welcome, I'm T2 but have an interest because the odds are I'll finish up on insulin.
the slow emptying will slow it all down, is there any chance of getting a CGM from the hospital?
or even buy a cgm/libra, you will have a unique profile

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
you're welcome, I'm T2 but have an interest because the odds are I'll finish up on insulin.
the slow emptying will slow it all down, is there any chance of getting a CGM from the hospital?
or even buy a cgm/libra, you will have a unique profile
When I speak to the DSN this week I'll ask her but I'm not sure about them funding and from what's on this sight their fairly expensive icould possibly how long do you think I'd need to wear it for

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
funding is the issue and your BG isn't critical..even if you can borrow the CGM reader and buy the sensors yourself, talk to @Spiker and the libra topic, but I'd guess a month will give you a good idea?
the CGM can be extended for a fortnight and the libra goes for a fortnight, so you would need to buy 2 sensors

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes I could fund the sensors and see about borrowing a libra or CGM .
I'll get onto that on Monday.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
also talk to the pumpers when they wake up about dual wave and their splits
300px-Combo_bolus.JPG

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
are you awake all night or do you live in another time zone like me :)

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dont sleep much at all really a few hours but the clocks went forward last night then at 4.20 am this morning a drunk elderly man started knocking on the door "lovely, we've all done it or have we ?" Maybe just the drunk bit. My wife thinks I'm on another time zone

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As the title says I've been type 1 for years and long time pumper as well.
I try to keep to a fairly low carb intake
70-120 CHO a day which I do fairly well but recently I've noticed lots more on the forum of knowledgeable Diabetics talking about proteins, fats, TBR, Extended boluses etc, to be honest we never had things ever mentioned to us about these 40 years ago and I encouraged to eat 240CHO a day with just 2 injections. Since pumping I've had very good control hba1c of no higher than 6.8 last 15 yrs but now I want more, I want to learn more about myself and my diabetes a couple of books keep getting mentioned so at last I have ordered Pumping Insulin and Think like a pancreas. I couldn't really afford them so I went on a well known website and bought used ones and both are apparently in mint condition got both for less than £8 well chuffed. I feel that hopefully I will be able to educate myself a bit better.

Just felt like saying that

Two excellent books and they come highly recommended :)

Diabetes is a complicated condition, in an ideal world it would be great if we could reduce carbs and not worry about the other nutrients that can effect out bg control.

Reactions: 4 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with you masonbason, it is difficult when you have been diagnosed for a long time, you come at it from a different perspective and it can be quite a challenge to get on top of it all. Diabetes was simpler back in the 1970's as there were very few insulins to offer options and no means of dose adjustment throughout the day, I had one injection a day and a strict 110g carbohydrate diet, protein and fat weren't mentioned apart from eating a balanced diet.

I've morphed from one method of control into the next finding out as I went along. Only over the last few years have I started to find out what else affects blood glucose and the amazing technology of my pump to deal with different food types - although I've used one for about 16 years now. The 2 books Pumping Insulin and Think like a pancreas are invaluable for information and in depth ways to get the best results.