Parent of 2 year old type 1 recently diagnosed

Worriedmum26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've gotten a little confused reading this thread about snacks and treats etc, when my son was diagnosed nurses gave him times to eat , I didn't know it was flexible eg he has novo rapid 3 times ( breakfast, lunch and tea) and they tell me how much to inject at the moment it's 0.5,3 and 2 and he has detimere at night before bed 0.5 units and he's not allowed to eat with that , breakfast is at 9am lunch 12.30 and tea 6.pm so 6 is the last time he eats in a day and anything in between has to be carb free snacks, I thought every child who was diagnosed was put in same routine?
Gemmablower u mention the ice cream, does that mean u can give foods at other times and just give some novo rapid?
Because sometimes my son can get upset before bed or if we are having a family occasion and food I served and he crys because he want to eat but I stick to routine,
I hope I'm making sense

Reactions: 4 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Worriedmum26
as you and your child and family are brand new to this and your child is so young i would perhaps think that establishing the routine is the most important thing you can do -- this will give you as much peace of mind and allow your child to become used to the routine -- there is plenty of time in the future to introduce change and variety in diet and insulin amounts.
take it slow for now -- all children with or without a medical condition need the stability of a routine .
as time goes on you will have more confidence to introduce varied foods and adjust doses but get settled for now ( in my humble opinion)
I have been D for 42 years ( type 1) and routine was the same for me for the first few years.

also - make sure to discuss this type of information with the D care team at your hospital.

Reactions: 6 people

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I totally agree to the above statement as talking to nurse and being so newly diagnosed that caution should always be taken and if you haven't been taught to carb count then maybe talk to your team about this.
I am very routine driven anyway and this has worked in my favour in managing Zara's diabetes.
I was also was offered to stick to a basic programme of a dose per meal when we were diagnosed and this is understandable to establish routine.
I was lucky enough to have a peodiactric in the family who quickly taught me to carbohydrate count and help with ratios of how much insulin per carb.
This was the next step for me and enables more accurate doses with the flexibility of keeping to Zara's normal diet.
The extra nuvo rapid for high carb snacks is a new step for me to be thinking about but this has to come after learning about carb counting and then how different foods effect her glucose. I have only just began to even think about extra bolus as we were only diagnosed after Xmas.
With regards to snacks, I was told that Zara's could have 15g of snacks without bolus but I have found this to be a huge over estimation. She has a 5g snack allowance of fruit at a certain time and that's enough for her. So to answer to your question you can bolus for high carb treats but a huge amount of understanding is required to do this and I'm still not there yet, it's something I have to talk about to my team

Reactions: 6 people

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's so confusing sometimes @Worriedmum26 everyone has there own way of managing there diabetes. You will find what works for you as will I. Ask nurse to teach you to carb count if your ready xxx

Reactions: 2 people