Different time zones and Lantus

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys
I'm sooo excited, we have booked to go to Florida in October. It will be the first time we have taken our son, who will be 7 then.
As many of you know, Florida is 5 hrs behind good old Blighty, and I'm wondering the best and easiest way to work with my basal, which is Lantus.
I currently take 16u about 7pm with my tea, but that would mean I have to take it at 2 pm in Florida, which is a pain as will be in the parks and only wanted to carry my Novorapid pen/bg monitor. It's just, imagine doing 2 injections in the toilets or restaurants, ones bad enough!!

So, do I just keep to 7pm even in Florida, but use a little more Novorapid on my first lunchtime over there to help with the running out of the 24 hr base being used up
Or, do I take my lantus 4 pm first day, 6 pm 2nd day, till 3rd day I'm at my 7pm time, I just need to reverse it towards end of holiday?

Any recommendations guys?
Thank you ️.
Any other tips!!!!???

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey I did mine at my usual time but just did few more bg tests and used more novorapid and found it worked fine for me, got myself in such a flap before I went, worrying how it would work but it all was fine. Very jealous of your trip :) x

Reactions: 3 people

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey I did mine at my usual time but just did few more bg tests and used more novorapid and found it worked fine for me, got myself in such a flap before I went, worrying how it would work but it all was fine. Very jealous of your trip :) x
Brill...that seems easiest way, thanks for info. Yes I cant wait!!!

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Others might say different but I done that each time I've went somewhere with a big time difference n it's been ok like I said just a bit more testing first couple of days x

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks mrsass, I will do my checks more, but am so relieved that it worked for you. I will probably still take both pens out, as I will keep in drip bag when in parks in a ruck sack, you know, just in case I'm out into the evening, but didn't like the thought of having to take both injections every day at 2 pm, I will look like a right drug dealer, lol....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Spot on, that's what I would too :)

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the summer I am travelling and the difference is 4 hours. I take my lantus before breakfast which can differ by a couple of hours anyway. Especially on the weekend. I spoke to my DSN and she said day one take it at a time two hours different from my normal then the day after move it on another two to the local time zone. I can then take before breakfast and reverse the process on my return.
I think the approach changes on size of time difference but as you will be only 5, if you are away a couple of weeks this could be an option if you want to maintain the 7 pm shot.

Reactions: 2 people

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having just gotten back from a business trip to the US West Coast which was 7 hours behind this is pretty much what I do and have always done.
I used to be on Lantus but now Levemir.
Switching to the time you are in going west is pretty straight forward, you may just need a correction at tea time since the lantus may have run out by then due to the time difference.

Coming back to UK you end up with an overlap so your options are either back off on the last dose you have in US then carry on as normal in UK (again you will likely have a correction at tea time) or dose as normal and expect a hypo.

Personally I like to maybe let it run a little high during the tail end of the travel since that is when you tend to be running round airports with bags and such.

Regardless which way you go do increase your rate of testing simply so you have a better picture. The method I use is basically down from trial and error over the last couple of years.

Enjoy your hols,

/A

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Darren and Andy.. You guys are great. This forum is brilliant isn't it. I really feel I have an extended family of type 1s. I have been so good with food, and have lost about a stone, just another stone to go and I'm a very nice size 12 :), so will be in that bikini for Florida.

I must admit, am looking forward to having some naughty treats when I'm there and walking off the carbs at the park, but don't worry I will stay away from those giant pretzels, can't imagine how many carbs in them.. I reckon...150 carbs, lol..

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@LaineyK I got one of those when I was in San Francisco... It definitely didn't do good things for my bg lol x

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ha ha Mrs... I might get a photo of me pretending to eat one and put it on the forum when I get back, ha ha x

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
just back in february from a trip to west coast USA ( 8 hours behind )
normal lantus time is 6pm so just waited until 6pm local time and took as normal there
( small correction bolus also taken to tide me over )

on the way back lantus 6pm night before travel and bedtime 10 pm when home cutting the time between injections to 20 hours but a bit less bolus with evening meal to allow for possible basal drop first night back

all was well -- no hypos and no high BG's either :)

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
just back in february from a trip to west coast USA ( 8 hours behind )
normal lantus time is 6pm so just waited until 6pm local time and took as normal there
( small correction bolus also taken to tide me over )

on the way back lantus 6pm night before travel and bedtime 10 pm when home cutting the time between injections to 20 hours but a bit less bolus with evening meal to allow for possible basal drop first night back

all was well -- no hypos and no high BG's either :)
Thanks himtoo, sounds good, cheers for info. Will do that