Pancreatic problems

davidob

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Can the pancreas heal if you are looking after your self and not drinking alcohol

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not entirely sure from your initial question quite what you are asking or how best to answer you, but I'll try.
With Type 1 diabetes it is common that an infection is the primary trigger that makes the body create a specific Anti-Body witin the bloodstream to combat the infection, but unfortunately it also attacks the beta cells within the pancreases (the cells used to produce Insulin) which we need to clear glucose from the bloodstream as muscle cell energy or long term fat or glucose storage within the liver.
With Type 2 diabetes it is common for someone to in fact OVER produce insulin as in many cases their diabetes is a result of INSULIN resistance or Poor quality Insulin production. Over a long period of time, often worsened buy high carbohydrate foods and sugar within the foods, the pancreas beta cell slowly deteriorate their ability to produce adequate insulin. In such cases Insulin levels can exceed 18 times a normal level, and over time beta cell 'BURN OUT' can and does occur. By a careful control of the diet it is indeed possible to take the stress away from beta cell insulin production and in most case these weakened beta cells can indeed recover.
The pancreas is also a dual function organ and supplies digestive juices that help digestion by leaking juices directly into the digestive tract on the intestine.
Heavy alcoholic consumption is more generally associated with the LIVER though it does interfere with the action of Insulin slowing down its ability to aid glucose being taken into the muscular cells.

Hope this info is of some use and helps you - Lazybones

Last edited by a moderator:

davidob

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Thanks for the reply it was

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Hi davidob,

With regards to the alcohol consumption you do not actually state if you like the occasional drink, are a heavy drinker or if your the next stage on from that.

Heavy and alcoholic drinking (I have been in recovery for 11 years) can cause panceatitis. This is something you really don't want to have. The pain is like nothing on this earth ! I know women that have told me that the pain is worse than child birth ! It is related to alcohol consumption (but not a few drinks here and there) !

One or two drinks a week will have no effect on you pancreas healing or doing anything else come to that and if your that kind of drinker forget the above :)

Your post was a little vague to actually know what to reply but if you wish to talk you can always PM me.

All the best davedob.

KevFitz

davidob

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Hi davidob,

With regards to the alcohol consumption you do not actually state if you like the occasional drink, are a heavy drinker or if your the next stage on from that.

Heavy and alcoholic drinking (I have been in recovery for 11 years) can cause panceatitis. This is something you really don't want to have. The pain is like nothing on this earth ! I know women that have told me that the pain is worse than child birth ! It is related to alcohol consumption (but not a few drinks here and there) !

One or two drinks a week will have no effect on you pancreas healing or doing anything else come to that and if your that kind of drinker forget the above :)

Your post was a little vague to actually know what to reply but if you wish to talk you can always PM me.

All the best davedob.

KevFitz
Hi davidob,

All the best davedob.

KevFitz

davidob

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Hi thanks for the reply
I first had problems With my pancreas when i was 23 due to binge drinking i had acute pancriritis i then had a couple of flair ups and gave up drinking for a couple of years
I then stupidly brought a pub so then id be drinking most nights
I sold the pub last year when i found out i was diabetic since then i was having a couple of drinks after work each night about 2 mths ago i stopped drinking and joined a gym now im spiking after eating to 16mmol it does come back down but it frightens me that my pancreas is not working as i was told that it is in healing? Other people tell me it does so im a bit confused
Thanks for the reply its good of you to take the time
Regards
David
Ago 34

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Hi thanks for the reply
I first had problems With my pancreas when i was 23 due to binge drinking i had acute pancriritis i then had a couple of flair ups and gave up drinking for a couple of years
I then stupidly brought a pub so then id be drinking most nights
I sold the pub last year when i found out i was diabetic since then i was having a couple of drinks after work each night about 2 mths ago i stopped drinking and joined a gym now im spiking after eating to 16mmol it does come back down but it frightens me that my pancreas is not working as i was told that it is in healing? Other people tell me it does so im a bit confused
Thanks for the reply its good of you to take the time
Regards
David
Ago 34

Hi David,

When you drink as I did which was daily and a bottle of vodka a night as well as cans of special brew and kestrel blood sugars rise alarmingly but then they drop even more alarmingly. The early morning hypo's I used to have were truly terrifying and how I never died whilst having one to this day I will never know.

If you are Type 1 and have been for many years the pancreas will not get back to supporting blood sugar levels by you cutting down your drink intake or even if you stop stop completely.

The pancreas of a Type 1 does not produce insulin (hence us having to inject). It may physically heal but it's function to start reproducing insulin will not (though I talk from my own experience as a chronic Type 1 and ex alcoholic)

Type 2 diabetics produce a little insulin and the tablets they take act as stimulants to get a bit more insulin from the pancreas. My consultant told me it's like whipping a horse at the end of a race to make it run that little bit faster !

Not sure if you take tablets also, if so I can't really advise as I have no experience of this but that may make a difference.

It may be a case of just going back to basics. Your not drinking any more and that is absolutely fantastic David but I would guess your eating more and fundamentally your routine has changed from the bad old days.

Sounds like a diet and correct insulin regime should be the way to go to get your sugars under control David and speak to your diabetes team. Tell them exactly what you've told us.

Be good to hear from others on this.

Best of luck David,

Kev