What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

peony50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am starting to test before and 2 hours after a meal. I did do a more detailed test yesterday to try out the meter and I got a sequence of readings that I don't fully understand:

Before evening meal 8.1
30 minutes after 5.2
1 hr after 7.2
1.30 after 8.7
2 hr after 7.9

I was surprised to see a 5.2 after having eaten, but all this is new to me.

Thanks for asking about my eyes, they are fine now. Took a few days after the retinopathy test to calm down, the nurses couldn't really explain why it happened, so I will see what happens at the next test.

Reactions: 2 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Apart from the 8.1 they follow a logical pattern with little effect after 30 mins, then rising and falling steadily. What was the evening meal?
Unless you test about 7 times a day starting with a fasting level and keep it up for quite a long time you don't get a meaningful pattern. The meters aren't very accurate so you need a good number of tests to get an average. Think of it as a long-term project.
The 8.1 could have been due to contamination -- did you wash your hands before the meal? I sometimes forget I've been slicing onions etc.

Ref your eyes, not being able to explain what happened isn't much use. I bet if it was their eyes they'd come up with something. Perhaps you could be a bit assertive.

Reactions: 2 people

zbd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
sat, 5.4 today, I'll have to get my tester thingy checked out, haven't had a reading this low in 20 years
:wideyed::)
ps.
Another test before lunch gave a reading of 6.2, , I then had a wobbler, dizzy ,unsteady when walking, blurred periferal vision, headache. After researching this forum it seems to have been a 'false low' which can happen after a long period of constant highs
:eek:

Reactions: 4 people

jason134

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
diabetes at the moment
Morning all thought I would join in this mornings reading 7.1 my fasting bg are always between 7 and 8

peony50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you DeeJayR for your post, it is very helpful. Being assertive does not come easily to me, but if the same thing happens again with my eyes I will push harder for reasons why.

My fasting reading this morning: 8.7

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you DeeJayR for your post, it is very helpful. Being assertive does not come easily to me, but if the same thing happens again with my eyes I will push harder for reasons why.

My fasting reading this morning: 8.7
Haha! I wouldn't normally say boo to a goose but sometimes ...
If you want to start a new thread under Type 2 with more details of your diet & exercise routine and meter readings we can probably see more of what's going on.