Bad bruising at injection sites .

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
HI all .I'm getting some really bad bruising on my stomach that is taking days to disappear .Is this normal ? They are black bruises around 2 inch square .

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Hi Suzie,

I don't really like injecting into my stomach as when it bruises it really bruises. And they are painful also. Mine take a long time to disapear also. I don't think it's anything to worry about. It's been happening to me for 33 years !

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Looks like your hitting a small capillary blood vessel........... hence why you are bruising badly after injecting, have a word with your DN/DSN about it and they will advise you further.

Reactions: 6 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
over the years I have had this from time to time - it is as noblehead says - you are hitting a blood vessel.
hopefully as you will be rotating your sites it won't be too often.
and yes the bruises do look fairly horrendous:(

the only other thought might be to enquire about shorter needles for your pens

Reactions: 4 people

iHs

I only injected in my tummy when i was out walking around the shops etc. Most other times i used my arms. I didnt bruise and insulin worked fairly quick.

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Suzie,

I don't really like injecting into my stomach as when it bruises it really bruises. And they are painful also. Mine take a long time to disapear also. I don't think it's anything to worry about. It's been happening to me for 33 years !

Where do you find the best site is @kevinfitzgerald ? I've never tried my thighs or arms yet ?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Susiespearish, do use your arms and legs as well as your bum too, I would put my basal insulin in my bum or legs and my bolus doses in my stomach, arms or legs.

Injecting in the arms can be tricky at first but you soon get the hang of it, just left the arm you are going to inject in up in the air and come in with your other hand from underneath, that way your not stretching, but do make sure you inject in the back of the arms.

The following has some good advice on injection sites and injection techniques:

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=7261

Reactions: 4 people

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Where do you find the best site is @kevinfitzgerald ? I've never tried my thighs or arms yet ?

Hi Susie,

In order of preference I would probably say bum first (though you cant just drop your trousers on the bus if needed) as for me I find that the least painful (and there is plenty of rotation just in that area alone)
then I would probably say upper arms and then upper legs. Stomach last (It doesn't hurt all the time but when it does it does)
As everyone else says try to rotate as much as possible, I'm a bit lazy and tend to do my arms a lot. Try to get into the routine of rotation to avoid lumps at the injection site. This is common over a long period of time injecting in to the same area !

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Silly question. Did you make sure your GP hasn't changed your needle brand? Long shot I know but it's happened to some people

Juju82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've has a few bruises and my DN said it's normal, just make sure you rotate sites x

jackie_oates_123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I spoke to my nurse on wed she said it is normal, also im on 22 units of insulin and she told me that was too high to inject into limbs

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
How often do you change your needle? i find if i use one more than just a few times i would get bruising so i change more often now. try using your love handle area at the side, if you have any, takes the prime site away from the delicate stomach area and bruises less i find, or any area with fatty tissue, outside of thighs, upper arm area could work for you better.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I can only inject in my tummy as anywhere else will
hit pure muscle (am too skinny)
I found keep to 4 or 5mm sized needles and rotating
site area in my tummy .
Inject slowly at 90 degree angle and pinch an inch so
inject into subtaneous fat layer .
Count off full ten numbers before take needle out .
Ensures all units of insulin are in properly .

This keeps me bruise free as had some whopper bruises
in the past .
My DSN worked with me to prevent any more happening or appearing .

Maybe an appointment with your DR or DSN to discuss this .
Would benefit you and can help you further .
Some wide spread bruising area's can be tender for days afterwards .
I know and understand .

I change my needle 'everytime' a new one each injection .

Reactions: 6 people

Sumobabe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you always bruised like this, or is the bruising new? If it's new, you should definitely mention it to your doctor in case it's indicative of something else going on with your health. If it isn't new, you might talk with your doctor about your needle gauge and depth, and ask them to observe you injecting yourself in case there's something amiss with your technique.

After my daughter was born, I developed a nasty blood clot in my leg and required numerous heparin injections in my stomach. (This was pre-diabetes.) I had terrible bruising--in fact, my mom said I looked like I had been beaten with a baseball bat! I applied some topical homeopathic arnica gel, and not only did the bruises stop hurting, but they finally began to fade. I've used arnica gel for bruises for more than 15 years now and it really does help my bruises hurt less and heal more quickly. I know not everyone thinks homeopathic products work, but this one definitely works for me.

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I spoke to my nurse on wed she said it is normal, also im on 22 units of insulin and she told me that was too high to inject into limbs

What does she mean @jackie_oates_123 ? I'm on 35 morning and night and I've been told it's likely I'll have to titrate it up to a 100 units so I'm not sure what she's talking about but it's incorrect. Thank you for all your advice .I'll be speaking to my DN at the hospital on Monday about this as it didn't bruise at first :)