Insight pump battery

Vick22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Selfish people, liars, bad time keeping and mushrooms
Hi, I've been on my insight pump for 2 months now, and I've had to change my battery twice. I understand that the life of the battery varies depending on how much you use the pump, but I've found that my pump battery will say 80% and then all of a sudden I'll get a warning message to change the battery.

Has anyone else noticed this or could it be my pump?!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not using the Insight pump, however I'll 'bump' your post up the forum in the hope that you get some replies.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
As a standard, no matter what I change my pump battery on 1st of each month as I do not want to be inconvenienced by it at any time.

Accuchek supply batteries, yes our CCG's have to pay for them but I don't want inconvenience due to a battery.

Mine go down to 80% after about a month.. So as said I just change on 1st no matter what. I've never found out if they just drop..

@ElyDave also has Insight.. We'll see what his thoughts are on the battery...

Vick22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks for the replies, yes I do order batteries from accu check and try to make them last as long as poss. But I think your method may be the the best donellysdogs as the battery died the other day during a bolus!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks for the replies, yes I do order batteries from accu check and try to make them last as long as poss. But I think your method may be the the best donellysdogs as the battery died the other day during a bolus!

Omg!!! Thats scarey!! Initially on Insight when making changes etc and getting used to it I changed every two weeks! I haven't let battery life go down.
Annoying though
When a new bsttery is put in and initially it reads 85% (ish) on my machine.. And tskes a full day before ut changes up to 100%. Its probably a reason why I don't put much faith in how much it actually states... Best change regularly according to your usage for the sake of a battery cost than have it die mud bolus! That must have been incredibly frustrating.... Ggggrrrrrr:(:(

Vick22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It was, I'd just changed my tubing and cartridge as my lunch was waiting for me and then that happened on top of it lol also another issue I've been having this passed week is my cannula leaking. I've just this minute had to change it again, I'm going through them every 2 days instead of three and it's bugging me as I can only really tell as my bg was 17.5 and then I checked the plaster and could smell the insulin. Has any of you guys had his problem too? I really don't know what it is because Im always careful and don't insert it in awkward places for it to get pulled etc

iHs

It was, I'd just changed my tubing and cartridge as my lunch was waiting for me and then that happened on top of it lol also another issue I've been having this passed week is my cannula leaking. I've just this minute had to change it again, I'm going through them every 2 days instead of three and it's bugging me as I can only really tell as my bg was 17.5 and then I checked the plaster and could smell the insulin. Has any of you guys had his problem too? I really don't know what it is because Im always careful and don't insert it in awkward places for it to get pulled etc

Hi

If you are using the teflon Flexlink Plus sets, try to hold the inserter device firmly against the body and make sure that the set releases ok and fires into the skin. If you hold the inserter device slightly off the skin, then the set might not fire in ok and insulin wont get through. Also, some people are better off just inserting the steel needle sets which are similar to an insulin pen needle as these go into the skin ok and insulin should get through and not collect on the adhesive. It does take time to get used to the inserter devices so try to relax and stand up to insert and if necessary, watch something on tv while you press the release button and then you wont be tense and nervous.

Vick22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks for your advice iHs!

I am using the insight Flex infusion sets with either a 8 or 6mm cannula. I am wondering if the insertion device is maybe to blame as it has only just started happening, also I am quite at ease with inserting the cannula and do always stand when doing so. Could it be something like bolusing a large amount of insulin at once? I had 21 units at dinner time tonight and notice the leaking a few hours after this?

iHs

Thanks for your advice iHs!

I am using the insight Flex infusion sets with either a 8 or 6mm cannula. I am wondering if the insertion device is maybe to blame as it has only just started happening, also I am quite at ease with inserting the cannula and do always stand when doing so. Could it be something like bolusing a large amount of insulin at once? I had 21 units at dinner time tonight and notice the leaking a few hours after this?

Its difficult to say whether its the insertion device causing the problems or that you are sending too much insulin through in one go. Try to stagger the delivery a bit so that the bolus is broken up and see if the set is ok or not. You could always ask Accu chek for another insertion device as Im sure they wont mind replacing.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Please phone and tell Kristian on the help line of the leaking sets.
I too had problem with flexible sets.
I sent Kristian photos, everytime something wasn't right....
Switched to the rapid d's again and perfect.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Are you visibly seeing insulin leaking out?
Speak to Kristian (he is the best)- ask for him to phone you back. You don't have to say why. I've dealt with him for past 4.5 years and blimey he even recognises my voice!!
Tell him the problems you are having. He will go through everything with you.
If you are lean you may wish to discuss the rapid d's, as I actually found the cannula came out with me on the plastic ones
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1427695137.025777.jpg

Accuchek are aware, this is what I mean by sending them pictures when things go wrong!

Vick22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes I am visibly seeing insulin come out and wet the plaster. The area I use is my belly which has the most fat so cannot really try a more fatty area.

Thank you, I will give him a call today

iHs

The photo that DD has loaded has shown the set connection that the tube attaches to, standing upright whereas it should be laying flat so the set was faulty and needed replacing.

@Vick22 Many things can make infusion sets appear to be temperamental at times but I think if you need to bolus a huge amount of insulin in one go, then try another type of set like the steel needle ones or stagger the bolus using the teflon ones. Everyones insulin to carb ratio is different but for 11u in one go, I would take a guess that you are eating a lot of carb so a work around might be to eat less carb and more veg.

Have you tried inserting in the side area of your backside? You might find that you are ok

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You can play around with speed of delivery with Insight. I'll have a look tonight when I get home.

Yes, somehow the flexi cannula actually lifted out of my skin and to be honest I didn't even realise this had happened. Set shown after I had discconected from the tube.

Will have a look later when get home..

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
just seen this on the battery lief.

I've been using it sinde mid december and I've changed the battery twice, currently reading 70%.

I think it will be dose dependent as there's going to be a lot more power going into the pumping vs the electronic display functions.

I had a few issues with the teflon cannulas as well and am now on the steel.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@vic22

Go into pump settings on handset...
Therapy settings
Bolus settings
Delivery speed

You can than change it to very slow, slow, moderate or standard. It will more than likely be set up to standard.

If ever you want to delay your insulin bolus delivery you need to have the lag setting within these bolus settings set to yes.

If you ever change to rapid d's or shorter longer tubes this is where you also change the fill quantity.. This is under infusion set.

Do try changing your delivery speed as above instructions. I can't say what speed would be suitable though as we are all individual...

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
More brilliant info donnellydogs can you come and train me when I get mine

Reactions: 4 people

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Seems like people do have problems with the Teflon cannulas I've been on these for 15 years and only had problems twice are the
Insight Teflon cannulas so much different than the Tenderlink used on Combo

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
I would speak to them about the battery life- you shouldn't change it for the sake of it as this is a cost to the health service and people's taxes. They also use the amount of time you change it as part of the diagnostic and have instructed me with mine to only change when battery low shows. I carry a battery in my car and blood test kit but have never had it just de- that would indicate battery cap not fitting correctly to me.