Favourite thing about LCHF?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If we take lower BG, weight loss and other health benefits as a given, what's your favourite thing about lchf? Mine is having double cream in coffee and cocoa, butter instead of low far spread and Hellman's Real Mayo on anything I like - all without feeling guilty! :D

Reactions: 8 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
The fact I can go in any of my favourite greasy spoon cafes and have an all day breakfast ... with fried bread

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The fact I can go in any of my favourite greasy spoon cafes and have an all day breakfast ... with fried bread

Ooh lovely! Not tried the fried bread yet, I'm waiting for my lower levels to stabilize before I start experimenting, but I really hope it works for me too!

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Ooh lovely! Not tried the fried bread yet, I'm waiting for my lower levels to stabilize before I start experimenting, but I really hope it works for me too!
Yeah I didn't dare till I had a reasonable length of control under my belt.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nothing really as I didn't have a weight problem so nothing was forbidden then, most things forbidden now. I never drank fizzy drinks, didn't have sugar in my (strong, black) coffee but I liked pizza, potatoes, had multiseed bread (toast) with ginger marmalade occasionally and ate fairly normally. I now have a huge list of things I can't eat; fruit is one of the things I miss most.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nothing really as I didn't have a weight problem so nothing was forbidden then, most things forbidden now. I never drank fizzy drinks, didn't have sugar in my (strong, black) coffee but I liked pizza, potatoes, had multiseed bread (toast) with ginger marmalade occasionally and ate fairly normally. I now have a huge list of things I can't eat; fruit is one of the things I miss most.

Yes, but what's your favourite thing about lchf?

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That I will hopefully have a longer, healthier life than I would have if I didn't do the LCHF diet.

Reactions: 6 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As the first sentence says "If we take lower BG, weight loss and other health benefits as a given," as I'm sure we're all happy about that.
But I was wondering about the added benefits, the more light hearted reasons, like the cream, butter, fried bread etc?

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Going to the caff and having the best part of a full fried breakfast instead of crunching a salad while being referred to as Peter Rabbit.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Going to the caff and having the best part of a full fried breakfast instead of crunching a salad while being referred to as Peter Rabbit.

I think this is a major plus (not that I've ever been called Peter Rabbit!), I've not had a single salad in the 2 months I've been low carbing! I only like salad with a big jacket spud or crusty bread :(

When you say 'the best part', I take it you miss out the baked beans, but what about their sausages? I've always had a 'thing' about sausages with their fat and gristle and preferred veggie ones till I discovered the 97% meat ones.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I think this is a major plus (not that I've ever been called Peter Rabbit!), I've not had a single salad in the 2 months I've been low carbing! I only like salad with a big jacket spud or crusty bread :(

When you say 'the best part', I take it you miss out the baked beans, but what about their sausages? I've always had a 'thing' about sausages with their fat and gristle and preferred veggie ones till I discovered the 97% meat ones.
I plum for the tomatoes in place of the beans .... see what I did there?

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

No sausages, beans, hash browns, chips, fried bread, toast or marmalade. Instead I get the usual 2 eggs and dollop of tinned tomatoes but extra bacon and mushrooms.Their sausages are revolting anyway. I buy the Black Farmer ones.
Our local butcher makes sausages whyle-u-watch and they are gristle-free but they still spike me. He must add a spice/cereal mix

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's gotta be the cream, for me. With butter a close second.

I struggle to find anything that isn't improved by the addition of one of them.
I've even started drinking tea with a tiny dash of cream (a fraction of the amount of milk I would use). And to my surprise, I now prefer it!

Reactions: 10 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No sausages, beans, hash browns, chips, fried bread, toast or marmalade. Instead I get the usual 2 eggs and dollop of tinned tomatoes but extra bacon and mushrooms.Their sausages are revolting anyway. I buy the Black Farmer ones.
Our local butcher makes sausages whyle-u-watch and they are gristle-free but they still spike me. He must add a spice/cereal mix

I've discovered I can have 1 Birds Eye potato waffle, 13g carb, fried with my fry up, and I'm fine with it, makes all the difference having that little bit of fried spud :)
I buy the Debbie And Andrew Harrogate 97% Sausages, not tried Black Farmer yet.