Stupid Pump Tricks Vol MLXVIII - Extended Bolus Rollovers

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I don't believe in using the 50/50 basal to bolus ratio as a prescription. In my view that should only be used as a starting point in the absence of any other information.

I don't either! However consultants do.

Normally I run on about 70/30 nowadays as I have limited carbs I think this does affect the bolus/basal ratio's.

Somehow, and I have no proof or research or anything to back this up at all.. But I think if I was eating regular 3 dlmeals a days with snacks I would be on a 50/50 ratio. As I don't snack or excess then my balanceis different. However the NHS consultants do not consider this at all. As they have neverbeen interested in my diet or way of living then they have no idea as to how I balance myself.

Something though for those that eat regularly mskes me think that a 50/50 ratio is what the consultants go for because that works for people that have higher carbs and regular eating??

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Until I started eating low carb with more nuts and cheese etc, my bolus/basal doses were more or less 50/50 and this was correct. Once I started eating the nuts and cheese my basal need increased as did my bodyweight. Now that Ive omitted the nuts and cut back on the cheese, my basal is reducing along with my bofyweight. My bg control on low carb plus nuts etc was very good with not too much swing and only mild lows which were
Caused by me probably not calculating carb or protein correctly although sometimes its just the way bg control goes at times with pumps.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Until I started eating low carb with more nuts and cheese etc, my bolus/basal doses were more or less 50/50 and this was correct. Once I started eating the nuts and cheese my basal need increased as did my bodyweight. Now that Ive omitted the nuts and cut back on the cheese, my basal is reducing along with my bofyweight. My bg control on low carb plus nuts etc was very good with not too much swing and only mild lows which were
Caused by me probably not calculating carb or protein correctly although sometimes its just the way bg control goes at times with pumps.

Aaaah, but I think you also eat more regular meals... Breakfast and lunch.. So that may be why you are more of a target towards 50/50, or 60/40?

Cheese, eggs, protein and fats etc I think do need to be included in some way if adding in extra of them for people like us that ate differently for a very long time (albeit we're not old!!!-middle age?).

I just wish our NHS had a formula other than the 50/50 ratios based more upon eating times and carb/fat intake as I think this would benfit people.

However... When I see balance of dome persons insulins in basal/bolus and their higher levels it makes me wonder whether it is just pump users that are monitored more clisely because their machines give this information so easily??

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@donnellysdogs I think you may be on to something regarding ease of access to information. If my pen auto sent my dose to my phone or libre that would be perfect!