Anything to help for painless cannula sticker removal??

Kelsie

Hi all, I got my pump last Tuesday and have done two cannula changes so far and when I peel the sticker off it's agony! Ha ha if we could just rip it off in one quick movement then that would be great but cos we have to pull it out straight, peeling it off slowly proper hurts! I'm probably a horrendous pansy but I can't imagine doing that every three days-I peeled them off after I showered as well, as I thought that might help. Is there anything people do like put some baby oil or something on the plaster before peeling off? I appreciate that it needs to be really sticky to hold there for three days but I have lots of 'downy' hair so feels like a slow wax :p

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Not sure what cannulas you use I've only ever used Accuchek Tenderlink 17mm, sounds painful but I've only ever picked the edge up and yanked it out, no pain and no blood no problem :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
A good soak in a bath...

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hot cloth works wonders or use some baby oil, keeping well away from new insertion as it wont stick.

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

There are quite a few medical adhesive removers available.....many can be got hold of through getting free samples. LiftPlus is great, so is Brava, Apeeel. A quick spray, wait a few minutes and then the set comes off without too much discomfort

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I have the same problem, I got my GP nurse to perscribe Cavillon and seems to do the trick
Cavilon as a adhesive remover?? It's sold as a skin barrier to stop irritation and give a little bit extra stick.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.

Vick22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Selfish people, liars, bad time keeping and mushrooms
Cavilon as a adhesive remover?? It's sold as a skin barrier to stop irritation and give a little bit extra stick.
Apologies, misread the post. I have deleted my post. Also I did have the same issues and was told to use the cavillon to protect my skin so when I peel off the plaster it doesn't hurt as much. And that DOES work for me

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Last edited by a moderator:

ealingr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I found I needed something at the start, but don't tend to bother these days. I just peel the adhesive stuff off all the way around the edges (so there's virtually nothing still stuck) and then it is fairly painless to remove the last centre bit.

Otherwise, you may want to try this or similar: http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Plaster-Removal-Spray-25ml-_1224274/ . I found it easy and effective, although you do need to be careful to wipe it off after you've removed the old infusion set, so it doesn't impact the stickiness of the new one (if you're putting it in a similar place).

Your pump company may also provide something similar. Mine sent some of these: http://www.smith-nephew.com/profess...nagement/other-wound-care-products/uni-solve/ . Also seemed to do the job.