Greetings from Israel :)

Ido_Wolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello everyone! :)

My name is Ido, I am a 21 years old (male) type 1 diabetic. I have been diagnosed with my diabetes in August of 1998 (at 4 years old), and since then I've been diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis about 8 years ago, and celiac disease 2 years ago.

I am currently attending a local university, studying for my bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and computer science. I've signed up to this website as I'm trying to improve my current HbA1C value (which stood at 7.5% last time I visited my doctor, very surprisingly so by the way, as according to my glucometer it should be quite a bit higher). My doctor finds it quite unfortunate that while I find technology quite accessible and I'm pretty good in data management, my HbA1C has been around 8.5% for the past 2-3 years before dropping in 1%, and even higher before that. It would be nice to learn from everyone here how they deal with the disease, and I hope it would help me to cope with what could possibly be some psychological barriers and bad habits keeping me from a healthier treatment.

So I hope to get to know as many people here as possible, and to end this post, let me answer the introductory questions in an awkward list:
- Are you religious? Not at all. Could say I'm an agnostic, but that's more like an excuse to avoid annoying conversations :)
- Pick three words to describe your personality. "Geek", "paranoid", "quiet" (well, the latter does not apply to my writing:oops:)
- Do you have any pets? Not at the moment, unfortunately.
- Microsoft or Apple? This question is a blasphemy! I use Linux as my daily driver, though I keep a Windows PC around for those times when industry standards force me to use it.
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Nothing in particular. Swimming and basketball are nice but I rarely do anything about it.
- Do you get angry easily? Not really, though hyperglycemia sometimes changes that.
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Nope.
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Dream Theater, Scorpions, Queen, Muse, Train
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Progressive Rock/Metal
- What is your favourite flag? I never thought of that, honestly. Do people usually have a favorite flag?
- Ever gone camping? Not yet.
- Ever been in love? In a long relationship right now :)
- Which countries have you visited?
UK, US and some countries in Europe.
- Favourite city? My hometown in Israel (Herzliya), probably London outside of it.
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Parks and Recreation, Community, Friends, Scrubs, House.
- List your five favourite films. X-Men series, Dead Poets Society, Fight Club, and I can't think of any other at the moment. Not really big on movies, honestly.
- Do you work? If so, as what? Not at the moment. I used to volunteer as a teaching assistant in an organization dedicated to teaching groups of people with no access to technology how to use it, and I will probably return as an employee when studies won't be as intense as they are.

So yeah, that's about it. Thanks for having me :)

lizzi51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone! :)

My name is Ido, I am a 21 years old (male) type 1 diabetic. I have been diagnosed with my diabetes in August of 1998 (at 4 years old), and since then I've been diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis about 8 years ago, and celiac disease 2 years ago.

I am currently attending a local university, studying for my bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and computer science. I've signed up to this website as I'm trying to improve my current HbA1C value (which stood at 7.5% last time I visited my doctor, very surprisingly so by the way, as according to my glucometer it should be quite a bit higher). My doctor finds it quite unfortunate that while I find technology quite accessible and I'm pretty good in data management, my HbA1C has been around 8.5% for the past 2-3 years before dropping in 1%, and even higher before that. It would be nice to learn from everyone here how they deal with the disease, and I hope it would help me to cope with what could possibly be some psychological barriers and bad habits keeping me from a healthier treatment.

So I hope to get to know as many people here as possible, and to end this post, let me answer the introductory questions in an awkward list:
- Are you religious? Not at all. Could say I'm an agnostic, but that's more like an excuse to avoid annoying conversations :)
- Pick three words to describe your personality. "Geek", "paranoid", "quiet" (well, the latter does not apply to my writing:oops:)
- Do you have any pets? Not at the moment, unfortunately.
- Microsoft or Apple? This question is a blasphemy! I use Linux as my daily driver, though I keep a Windows PC around for those times when industry standards force me to use it.
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Nothing in particular. Swimming and basketball are nice but I rarely do anything about it.
- Do you get angry easily? Not really, though hyperglycemia sometimes changes that.
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Nope.
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Dream Theater, Scorpions, Queen, Muse, Train
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Progressive Rock/Metal
- What is your favourite flag? I never thought of that, honestly. Do people usually have a favorite flag?
- Ever gone camping? Not yet.
- Ever been in love? In a long relationship right now :)
- Which countries have you visited? UK, US and some countries in Europe.
- Favourite city? My hometown in Israel (Herzliya), probably London outside of it.
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Parks and Recreation, Community, Friends, Scrubs, House.
- List your five favourite films. X-Men series, Dead Poets Society, Fight Club, and I can't think of any other at the moment. Not really big on movies, honestly.
- Do you work? If so, as what? Not at the moment. I used to volunteer as a teaching assistant in an organization dedicated to teaching groups of people with no access to technology how to use it, and I will probably return as an employee when studies won't be as intense as they are.

So yeah, that's about it. Thanks for having me :)
Hello, Ido, and welcome. I'm prediabetic and only recently found this site so can't offer any advice, but there is plenty of good information around here.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum Ido, I have Coeliac too.

Best wishes RRB

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi and welcome to the forum Ido :)

I see your on a pump, perhaps you should start off with some basal testing to get your basal rates correct, once you do that you can then look at things like your insulin-to-carb ratio's.

There's two links which should help, the first explains how you should carry out a basal check and the other is an on-line carb counting course:

http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Shalom Ido and welcome to the forum. You have come to a great place, lots of knowledge and great advice available here. Search the forums and ask your questions and the rest will follow.