Why aren't Type 1's being encouraged to use LCHF like Type 2's?

Angelmum21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Admittedly from a small sample of the Type 1 diabetics who recently attended two sessions discussing a new diabetics service being introduced in Crawley, I was amazed that they were not being encouraged to go onto the LCHF diet to reduce their dependence on insulin and avoid hypo's etc. In fact one of the GPs told me that they were different from me because they need carbs duh! No-one needs loads of carbs in their diet because our bodies can make any carbs they need from the protein we eat. Plus there are several testimonies from Type 1s that I have found on the net including from a practising anaesthetist that the diet allows them to rely on their background insulin. Can anyone explain this division between Type 1s and Type 2s?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Erm, low carb doesn't twice the dependence on insulin for a t1. You are still dependent. It just reduces the amount you need.

Low carb isn't being recommended by the nhs for any diabetics. There is much discussion about that on here.

If you don't have insulin resistance, as a t1 you can choose to eat how you like. Many of us have found that low carb makes it easier to manage levels and gain stability from being up and down.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I personally don't like to use the word 'division', but from what I know from the many type 2's not on medication , or very little medication, a low carb diet keeps their BS in a good range with good results, as they still have a functioning pancreas. Also many use the LCHF for weight loss too.

It has never been mentioned to me by a medical professional.

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 3 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mostly, there isn't a division , as both types have been told to include carbs in their diet. But for Type 1's this is a comparatively recent thing, many long termers remember being taught to carb count years ago. The change came about more or less with the basal/ bolus insulin regime, that theoretically meant you could " eat what you like , and bolus for it " . I found this approach was an epic fail for me when I tried it for a while :rolleyes:

The carb recommendations are also based on the "Healthy Eating Eatwell Plate " model, which was initially developed for the general population, not specifically diabetics .

Signy

Angelmum21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Erm, low carb doesn't twice the dependence on insulin for a t1. You are still dependent. It just reduces the amount you need.

Low carb isn't being recommended by the nhs for any diabetics. There is much discussion about that on here.

If you don't have insulin resistance, as a t1 you can choose to eat how you like. Many of us have found that low carb makes it easier to manage levels and gain stability from being up and down.
Thanks for this and other comments. The medics in the discussion did nod agreement to a ketogenic diet being good for Type 2s but not for Type 1s. I felt particularly sorry for one Type 1 lady who said she had been giving herself too much insulin for 12 years and had only recently been taken under the wing of a diabetic nurse who was helping her to work out correct levels. She was very thin and told me that she was being encouraged to eat lots of carbs to help her put on weight. I could not see the logic of that since the high fat levels in the proper ketogenic diet do not allow dramatic weight loss

Reactions: 2 people

Angelmum21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You might all like to know that a brave GP in Crawley has got some money to try out the idea of health coaches for diabetics as she recognises that the traditional 10 minute appointment when you are diagnosed and given diet, meds or insulin followed by a 6 month check up is not adequate and leaves many of us feeling isolated and searching for solutions of our own. The Americans have been using health coaches with success for several long term conditions but there is no evidence base in the UK and she has only managed to get one other surgery in the area to try it out for their diabetic patients! (the ones that won't try it are pathetic in my opinion)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Angelmum21,do you mean a LCHF diet, if so I can amend your thread title and post should you wish.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for this and other comments. The medics in the discussion did nod agreement to a ketogenic diet being good for Type 2s but not for Type 1s. I felt particularly sorry for one Type 1 lady who said she had been giving herself too much insulin for 12 years and had only recently been taken under the wing of a diabetic nurse who was helping her to work out correct levels. She was very thin and told me that she was being encouraged to eat lots of carbs to help her put on weight. I could not see the logic of that since the high fat levels in the proper ketogenic diet do not allow dramatic weight loss

Though i fairness. not enough insulin or skipping dosage all together on a regular basis would cause weight loss & other complications..Or "Diabulimia." as its known.
Sounds like they may just be in her case encouraging a "normal" carb count & bolus regime to aid this woman's weight gain...?

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Personally.. I can't see why T1's are told they can eat anything so long as they bolus for it. Yes, if you manage your diabetes well and don't get highs or lows.. Fair enough.

The only way I've kept reasonable levels is fortunaty being a lower carber all my life. Yes, I did have a driving incident with horrendous deep bad thoughts on life, carbs, control etc. but my health has suffered when including extra carbs...
If extra carbs are bad for population then why are lots of carbs piled on to T1's with the NHS advice?

Less carbs, less insulin, less mistakes...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The thing is.. NHS do not treat us as individuals. Its still based on one size fits all... Whilst they are insistent on not listening to real people as individuals we are never going to get them to advise less carbs, less insulin to anybody.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Admittedly from a small sample of the Type 1 diabetics who recently attended two sessions discussing a new diabetics service being introduced in Crawley, I was amazed that they were not being encouraged to go onto the LHCF diet to reduce their dependence on insulin and avoid hypo's etc. In fact one of the GPs told me that they were different from me because they need carbs duh! No-one needs loads of carbs in their diet because our bodies can make any carbs they need from the protein we eat. Plus there are several testimonies from Type 1s that I have found on the net including from a practising anaesthetist that the diet allows them to rely on their background insulin. Can anyone explain this division between Type 1s and Type 2s?
I tried the lchf, the fat and protein just made me almost double my basal rate, which kind of defeated the object. My motto though is if it suits you carry on just don't expect/insist everyone needs to or wants to eat the same way.
Being diagnosed in the 1960's I have always been aware of what goes in my mouth, so don't personally have a problem in eating what I want as long as it is within reason. Carb counted from day one as well.
Mind you it's restricted as coeliac and lactose intolerant :rolleyes: